starting over after 27 days?

NewBike3458

Hi all,

I have embarked the Whole30 27 days ago and have been very dedicated and totally compliant throughout those days. I have been super motivated and was quite surprised I didn't find it too difficult to leave out all kinds of forbidden foods.

Now I feel really disappointed, because I found out that yesterday's fish curry was made with non-compliant coconut milk (containing E220 which translates as sulfur dioxide). It came from a can, not a carton, but nonetheless.

However motivated I was I now really dread the thought of having to start over. This morning I woke up with a slight headache though, which I never have, and definitely not on my last weeks on the whole30.

I wanted to prolong to a whole40, but now I'm afraid a whole57 would be necessary...

What would you do? Appreciate your thoughts on how to proceed.

Plough on or take my loss and start over? In the latter case I might as well have a glass of wine today as I have 2 parties to attend to… But funnily enough that thought makes me more sad than happy :-(

Thanks for any feedback.

You could either do a Whole57, or you could look at it as starting your reintros early (you now know how sulfites make you feel: check! :)).  If you choose the latter, go back to 100% Whole30 eating for the remaining 4 days (hold off on that glass of wine for now), and then proceed with controlled reintroductions. 

Hi all,

I have embarked the Whole30 27 days ago and have been very dedicated and totally compliant throughout those days. I have been super motivated and was quite surprised I didn't find it too difficult to leave out all kinds of forbidden foods.

Now I feel really disappointed, because I found out that yesterday's fish curry was made with non-compliant coconut milk (containing E220 which translates as sulfur dioxide). It came from a can, not a carton, but nonetheless.

However motivated I was I now really dread the thought of having to start over. This morning I woke up with a slight headache though, which I never have, and definitely not on my last weeks on the whole30.

I wanted to prolong to a whole40, but now I'm afraid a whole57 would be necessary...

What would you do? Appreciate your thoughts on how to proceed.

Plough on or take my loss and start over? In the latter case I might as well have a glass of wine today as I have 2 parties to attend to… But funnily enough that thought makes me more sad than happy :-(

Thanks for any feedback.

I definitely would not start over after 27 days for a mistake that small.  The truth of the matter is there is no perfect Whole30. Mistakes are going to be made, and I would venture to guess that almost everyone has SOMETHING over the 30 days that is not compliant, even if they are never aware of it.  Finish out your Whole30 (or Whole40 if you like!) and be proud!  That will do much more for you in the long run than saying "I made a small mistake, all is lost, wine it is!" and then feeling guilty about the mistake AND the wine!

Thanks a lot for the feedback, GFChris and JohannaE!

I have stayed on track today and am really happy with that choice! I feel great, my headache subsided pretty quickly and feel energized by my decision to keep going and also because I think the tiger blood is finally really kicking in (took a while but have felt a change last week).

I withstood a LOT of temptations this afternoon (my mum is a great cook and there was a lot of non-compliant food on the table which I ignored, as well as all the delicious looking cakes and chocolates, Yay!). Also no wine of course. I feel SO PROUD!! Dealt with my critical brother and my not-at-all-understanding father fine too. Am off to the pub now for a laugh, a talk and a couple of mineral waters with a slice of lemon ;-)

I do know a lot more than 27 days ago, thanks for helping me see that again. It really feels great to have such positive support, THANKS!!

Archived