Turkey Sausage Balls

Bcollins74

I was researching chili recipes and came across a recipe blog that basically said - people that don't know what they are doing in the kitchen just take every spice they own and throw it in chili.  The author was talking about me - because I don't know what I'm doin in the kitchen but I end up with some pretty good food for what I like.  I ate over 50 of these on my Whole50, most of the time I had them for breakfast with my turnip hash.  They look kind of scary with big pieces of onion and garlic all over the place but they are really good.  Sometimes I've used fennel seeds and caraway seeds, just depends on what I have in my cupboard when I make them.

Pre-heat oven to 350

1 lb of ground turkey

6 cloves of garlic, chopped

1 onion, chopped

1.5 tsp of the following:
Cayenne Pepper
Ghost Pepper Infused Sea Salt (I use http://shop.thespicelab.com/index.php/ghost-pepper-naga-jolokia-infused-sea-salt-no-119.html)

1 tsp of the following:
thyme leaf
black pepper
crushed red pepper flakes

1/2 tsp of the following:
paprika
cumin
nutmeg
rosemary leaf
allspice
turmeric

1/4 tsp of the following
basil
sage
cardamom

combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well

Make into balls and place into an un-greased muffin tin

Cook @ 350 for 30 minutes

When they come out of the oven, transfer them to plate with paper towels to soak up some of grease.  I usually get 9 sausage balls out of a batch, I store 8 of them to eat later and burn my mouth eating the 9th one right away.

I never used egg or flour making these.  I made Czech meatballs from Well Fed and used a egg but no flour.  I don't think I went a day without using ghost pepper salt during my Whole 50.  In addition to the flavor, it also ensures no one else in my family will eat my food.  These have some kick to them!

In Well Fed 2 there is technique for improving the texture of meatballs with no eggs, flour or breadcrumbs that has worked for me. Add 2tbsp warm water, 1/2tsp cream of tartar and 1/4 tsp baking soda to each lb of meat. It has improved my breakfast sausage and I use a similar recipe to this one.

Archived