Sauerkraut had sodium bicarbonate and sodium bisulfite in it...?

Angela Young

I'm on day 4 of my first Whole30 and just ate a bowl of sauerkraut with leftover chicken. I had been excited to find sauerkraut without sugar added, and failed to notice it had sodium bicarbonate and sodium bisulfite in it. Crap. Does this require a restart or is it a "lesson learned, move on" experience? TIA!

Sorry, ingesting sulfites merits a restart. Or call it a Whole34 if that works better for your mindset.

Out of curiosity, was the sauerkraut in the aisle or in the refrigerated section of your grocery store?  The latter might be a better option for you next time.

I just checked mine.  Although I haven't started yet, I am trying to prepare.  The sauerkraut I just bought has sodium bisulphites.  I guess that's going back...  I did read the label, but I was looking for sugar.   Thanks for this post.  I'm learning all the time...  

Just wanted to point out that sodium bicarbonate is just baking soda and is just fine on a whole30. It's the Sodium Bisulfite that's an issue.

Haha, yes, thanks...that was actually a typo! That was supposed to read sodium benzoate and sodium bisulfite, instead. Oops! Not sure what sodium benzoate is, so that might be ok, too. Darn the sulfites, though...I was doing so great! I stayed on track even for the rest of that day, but am bummed out about having to add 4 days.

I just checked mine.  Although I haven't started yet, I am trying to prepare.  The sauerkraut I just bought has sodium bisulphites.  I guess that's going back...  I did read the label, but I was looking for sugar.   Thanks for this post.  I'm learning all the time...

Jill, I'm glad that something good came out of my oversight! I'm totally paranoid now and triple checking everything....and then checking again. o.o

Archived