Peg's Whole30

Mebs2008

So I decided to stop creeping he Whole30 boards and jump in on the action. I am a former fitness competitor with a host of food issues, the most prevalent being a fear of being hungry, various "foods with no breaks" and eating while bored. Obviously, I count macros, because that's the competitor's way. I'm historically a paleo eater, but have been known to jump off the wagon. I'm hoping that a whole30 will help me get some things in check and help with some digestive concerns that I've had for awhile. With all that said, here are my meals for day 1:

Breakfast:

Pork tenderloin

1/2 avocado

1/2 sweet potato with coconut oil

1.5 cup of broccoli soup, which is more like a broccoli purée.

Some stewed prunes

Snack

Apple

Coconut

*full on ate out of boredom, boo!

Lunch

Can of tuna

Kimchi

Sauerkraut

1/2 avocado

Pre WO

2 eggs

1/2 sweet potato (that I forgot to eat at lunch) and coconut oil

*wasnt overly hungry, but a killer workout was on tap so I ate

PWO

Shrimp, about 10 or 12 and a bit of pineapple

Coconut water

*i get home late from the gym, around 7:00 and I go to sleep at 9:00. This was my last meal.

Today was a right off. I stuck to compliant food, but no defined meal times. I spent most of the day on the road, no excuse. So I'll just list what I ate, chalk up to a learning experience.

2 cups broccoli soup

Can of tuna

1/2 avocado

Stewed prunes 

Grapefruit

2 spoons of almond butter

Compliant trail mix

2 eggs

Raw carrots and peppers

4 egg whites

Sweet potatoes with coconut oil

More almond butter

More stewed prunes

More trail mix

You get the idea

Back on the defined meal band wagon tomorrow. I feel gross and bloated.

Welcome to the Whole30! A couple of notes:

We recommend 3 meals a day that follow the template for best results. For pre workout food we advise protein and fat and no carbs. For post workout food we advise lean protein and starchy vegetables. No fruit in either of these. If you must have a snack it should be because you are hungry enough to eat something boring and should be a mini meal with at least protein and fat. Nuts are a fat source for the program. 

For the timing of food after the gym what time are you leaving the gym/how long does it take you to get home. Usually what is recommended is your post workout food within 15-30 minutes of your workout and then have your actual 3rd meal within another 30 minutes. If that still doesn't work for you I would advise doing your 3 meals before your workout if you can. If you are eating within an hour of waking (assuming you are getting up around 5am?) than this should be doable with a meal around 6, 10 or 11, and 4 or 5.

Thanks for your comments, Physibeth. I am familiar with the template, I just spent all of yesterday on the road, which is highly unusual for me and I got lazy and into a pattern of mindless eating. This is one concern I'm hoping a whole30 will help with.

That's a great idea about meal times though. I find my workout time and bedtime aren't conducive to a PWO meal and another dinner, I think I'll give that a shot.

Breakfast

1 can of sockeye salmon

1.5 cups of broccoli soup

Kimchi

Apple

Ate a little late (around 8am) need to wake up earlier to eat at home.

No morning snack!!!! Yay!!!! This is despite bringing coconut with me, which I love!

Lunch

Pork tenderloin

Asparagus

Sweet potato with coconut oil

1/2 small avocado 

I was hungry, but not crippled with it. It felt great to be hungry.

Snack

3 or 4 chunks of coconut 

6 pieces of compliant ham

I was hungry and it was going to be quite a few hours before dinner due to an after work meeting

Dinner

2 eggs in coconut oil

Enough kale to feed a small farm animal

Strawberries with coconut butter 

Archived