St. Patty's day dinner

UCslug

Hi everyone,

I didn't grow up in a household that was big on St. Patty's day and my mom can't stand corned beef and cabbage so we just never ate it. However this has generally been a big deal for my fiance and his family and I would love to make corned beef and cabbage (maybe sub some sweet potatoes for the regular potatoes) on Sunday. I have no idea how to make "corned" beef and can't simply buy the one in the store which I'm sure wouldn't taste as good as home made anyway. Anyhow, are there any whole 30 recipes you know of? I have found some paleo ones but a lot of them call for honey or other sweeteners. Do any of you have simple ways to brine the beef?

Thanks for any recipe ideas!

Hi everyone,

I didn't grow up in a household that was big on St. Patty's day and my mom can't stand corned beef and cabbage so we just never ate it. However this has generally been a big deal for my fiance and his family and I would love to make corned beef and cabbage (maybe sub some sweet potatoes for the regular potatoes) on Sunday. I have no idea how to make "corned" beef and can't simply buy the one in the store which I'm sure wouldn't taste as good as home made anyway. Anyhow, are there any whole 30 recipes you know of? I have found some paleo ones but a lot of them call for honey or other sweeteners. Do any of you have simple ways to brine the beef?

Thanks for any recipe ideas!

I found this recipe that looks compliant. I haven't tried it though. You need to marinate for 5 - 7 days. http://www.cavemanbistro.com/2011/03/25/paleo-corned-beef-and-cabbage/. Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

I realize this is about a week too late, but here is a recipe that I love and turns out perfect every time!

1/2 cup kosher salt

1 tablespoon black peppercorns, cracked

3/4 tablespoon ground allspice

1 tablespoon dried thyme

1/2 tablespoon paprika

2 bay leaves, crumbled

1 beef brisket (fresh, 4 to 6 pounds), trimmed of

INSTRUCTIONS

1. FOR THE CORNED BEEF: Combine salt, peppercorns, thyme, allspice, paprika, and bay leaves in bowl.

2. Using metal skewer, poke about 30 holes on eachside of brisket. Rub each side evenly with salt mixture. Place brisket in 2-gallon zipper-lock bag, forcing out as much air as possible. Place in 13 by 9-inch baking dish, cover with second, similar-size pan, and weight with 2 bricks or heavy cans of similar weight. Refrigerate 5 to 7 days, turning once a day.

3. Rinse brisket and pat it dry. Place brisket in Dutch oven and cover brisket with water by 1 inch. Bring to boil over high heat, skimming any scum that rises to surface. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until skewer inserted in thickest part of brisket slides in and out with ease, 2 to 3 hours.

Archived