Eileen's 1st Whole 30 YAY

eileenwithane

Here is my space.

I'm Eileen, have a supportive husband, a 4 year old daughter (who is my downfall, I find myself absentmindedly popping her food in my mouth, I've been aware of this so it is helping me to stop), and 4 month old son that I nurse. 

I started today, and will be doing a 30 for sure, with a possibility for a little longer because my husband doesn't start officially til 4/6.

Today is Day 1 (3/20)

Meal 1 was too light, but I was late to meet some people for a run, so I quickly cooked up 2 eggs in coconut oil and quick sliced a pear. 

Meal 2 skipjack tuna (in water) mixed with fresh pico de gallo (tomato, onion, jalapeño, and cilantro) and olive oil, over mixed spring greens with cut up cucumber and roma tomato, drizzled with EVOO, kosher salt, and pepper.

I will be doing a cookup from www.theclothesmakethegirl.com (author of Well Fed) but haven't had a chance to prep, so I have a few easier type meals I'm doing til I can prep the rest of my food. Feeling good, got a little hungry between meals, but that was my fault, and I feel proud of myself for not driving through a fast food restaurant and saying, oh I'll start tomorrow.

And I also got in a 2.5 mile walk/run.

I'll add in my goals. I'm a lazy eater. I love cooking, but when I'm hungry I want food now. And then the fast food comes. I've tried many diets, and they fail because I try to modify things into fancy stuff instead of just being straight-foward about it, which is why I'm excited about this. I'm heavy. And even when I eat "SAD" perfectly, and exercise I don't lose weight. Well I'm hoping this kickstarts me into some weight loss, but after today I won't weigh myself til the end. I was ahem 215 pounds. 

Also a lot of time I either exercise and eat like crap, or I eat great and don't exercise. I'll be doing both this time.

Meal 3 was a 100%beef hamburger patty with sautéed mushrooms and a fried (in coconut oil) egg. A small avocado (it was less than a whole because I cut out brown spots), and then a plate filled with sliced cucumber, and tomato. With a little sprinkled kosher salt and pepper. I would have done olive oil but felt I met my healthy fat quota so left it off. I'm stuffed!

ETA: I made the above and my husband did eggs, burger meat mushrooms and toast. And for my daughter I made sure she also ate cucumbers and tomato. His plate was very bland looking and mine was super colorful. He was jealous of my plate. But he still didn't add veggies to his? Hoping a few nights of that helps him see that I'm eating a ton of bright colorful food and it is more appealing that yellow and brown food.

Day 2: I'm noticing that my hands feel unclean when I make something for my daughter that it isn't compliant. Like it's going to end up in my mouth and ruin everything (pb & j this morning and nuggets for lunch)

This morning's meal was much more successful than yesterday's. I actually couldn't finish it. And I was still satiated by the time meal two came around. Which I'm eating now.

Meal 1 stir-fry veggies cooked in coconut oil with coconut aminos and then 3 eggs cracked into the pan and all mixed up. Topped with Tabasco. With a cup of coffee with a little compliant almond milk in it (Silk unsweetened)

Meal 2 skipjack tuna (in water) mixed with fresh pico de gallo (tomato, onion, jalapeño, and cilantro) and olive oil, over mixed spring greens with cut up cucumber and roma tomato, drizzled with EVOO, kosher salt, and pepper.

Meal 3 stir fry veggies in coconut oil and coconut aminos with wild shrimp (I was dumb and forgot to peel them first so I had to fish them out and dunk in cold water to peel) over a bed of spinach topped with an avocado and Tabasco.

I waited too long to eat dinner. We were out watching a high school rugby match. I was doing ok when I got home, but by the time I got my daughter fed and was trying to figure out what to eat I was ravenous (plus the shrimp issue I ran into I mentioned above). But I made good choices. I felt great today. No headaches. Was a little tired mid afternoon but I was up all night with a sick baby. Was better with water consumption, but still need to do more.

Hi Eileen, 

Glad to see you are doing so well. It must be hard with a baby and toddler, so applause for you for doing this for yourself. I don't think I would be able to do this if I had to make noncompliant food for my hubby. I just told him he has to suck it up for 30 days, haha. But you can't do that with kids, of course. Good look to you today, you are doing so well, keep it up! With the water thing, what I do: I force myself to drink a glass of water every time I went to the bathroom. Wash my hands, glass of water. This is becoming a habit and is really increasing my water intake. Maybe it will work for you to? 

Hi Eileen,

Glad to see you are doing so well. It must be hard with a baby and toddler, so applause for you for doing this for yourself. I don't think I would be able to do this if I had to make noncompliant food for my hubby. I just told him he has to suck it up for 30 days, haha. But you can't do that with kids, of course. Good look to you today, you are doing so well, keep it up! With the water thing, what I do: I force myself to drink a glass of water every time I went to the bathroom. Wash my hands, glass of water. This is becoming a habit and is really increasing my water intake. Maybe it will work for you to?

Thanks for the tips! The plan is to get her eating the compliant food, but it's been just get food on the table couple of days so I didn't want to worry about changing things on her. Although she does eat veggies well.

Day 3:

Meal 1: scramble with 2 eggs, ground beef, mushrooms, lots of spinach, pico de gallo. Cooked in ghee. Salt and pepper. Tabasco. Husband ate it too and really liked it.

Meal 2: crown prince sardines (in olive oil) (the least sardine tasting sardines ever, super good), mashed with avocado, ground mustard, and pico de gallo (see a theme? It's preprepped at the grocery store, no junk. So great) over a bed of Spring greens. Half a cucumber. Drizzled in a little tiny more olive oil. Salt and pepper. Cayenne and tabasco. Had a plum before making this.

Cooked all day. Prepped food finally minus the pork, zucchini soup, and Moroccan dipping sauce from the first week of Whole30 cookups from the author of Well Fed (on her website) http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2013/12/29/whole30-2014-week-1-meal-plan/

Will do the rest tomorrow (pork will cook overnight)

Meal 3: thin cut sirloin sautéed with haricot verts, yellow squash, in coconut oil with coconut aminos. Everything was precooked in my cookup and just threw together in 10 minutes. Topped with sunshine sauce. Daughter had it without the sunshine sauce (spicy), but otherwise we (she and my husband) all ate a compliant dinner.

Felt good again today. I snacked some while doing the cookup. I always taste while I cook. I'm going to give myself a pass on that for now because I'm nursing and didn't snack otherwise.

Blech. I've been holding off a sore throat, it would come and go, but now it's undeniable. I drank some diluted apple cider vinegar and the boiled water and added lemon juice and a little coconut cream (canned full fat milk) hoping it would help coat it. I think it's just nasal drip. Hoping it doesn't get worse or turn into something that will derail me.

Going to try to sleep.

Hmm...that sucks! But I'm sure you're going to be fine! Maybe a little bit of carb-flu or something? What I do when I have a sore throat is gargle (I hope this is the right translation, English is not my first language) with salt water. Really helps. And is whole30 approved, haha. Good luck today

Hmm...that sucks! But I'm sure you're going to be fine! Maybe a little bit of carb-flu or something? What I do when I have a sore throat is gargle (I hope this is the right translation, English is not my first language) with salt water. Really helps. And is whole30 approved, haha. Good luck today

I think it is more than carb flu because the whole family is sick. And even though we all ate on plan last night, they've still all had stuff off plan. My husband woke up with a sore throat this morning.

Even the 4 month old has been sick.

Really glad I did that prep yesterday because my husband is going to throw together a breakfast for me even though I don't really want to eat.

As far as derailment, I'm fine on the food front, but the no medicine thing may get me. Going to find out what I can and can't take. Because I understand the ones with obvious alcohol and sugars but need to check in ibuprofen and the like.

Day 4

Woke up worse than I've been with some sinus thing. I had to take sudafed or it was going to turn into a raging infection from past experience. Starting to feel a little better, but throat is still sore and I sound like a 3 pack a day smoker.

Meal 1: hubs cooked for me. Scramble with eggs, ground beef, mushrooms, bell peppers, tomato, and pico de gallo. Cooked in ghee. Coffee with coconut milk.

Meal 2: I ate out!!! And was totally successful. I picked a restaurant that I know uses fresh ingredients and asked questions and they accommodated everything. I had a salad with mandarin oranges, strawberries, celery, red onion, and parsley. Had them hold the candied nuts and dressing. They gave me olive oil by request. Then a burger. Obviously held the bun. They broil it so it wasn't cooked in anything non-compliant and was 100% Nieman Ranch Beef. It had the reddest tomatoes, lettuce, and red onion.

Meal 3: Well Fed's Chocolate chili with a dollop of sweet potato on top. With a salad of Spring greens, cucumber and tomato. Olive oil, kosher salt and pepper for dressing.

I need a beef detox. That was 5 out of my last 6 meals and all three today had ground beef. Definitely going with chicken and fish tomorrow.

Day 5:

Started early. Was up at 4:15 for a 5am bootcamp. It sucked. I sucked. I am so out of shape.

Pre WO: chicken thigh

Post WO: half a sweet potato.

Meal 1: 2 eggs fried in coconut oil, collard greens and yellow squash. Coffee with coconut milk.

Meal 2: slow cooked Italian pot roast from Well Fed's blog. Green beans and squash with a dollop of Paleo homemade mayonnaise.

Meal 3: Well Fed's Paleo Pad Thai with Tabasco on top. Yum. It had spaghetti squash, onion, snap peas, chicken, egg, coconut aminos, cilantro, scallions, and sunshine sauce.

Still feeling good. And wasn't hungry even after an hour and a half workout and running around with the kids. My sickness seems to be on the mend. Haven't been kill all the things. So I'll take that as a good sign.

I keep reading the timeline and none of it has shown up so I keep wondering if I'm doing something wrong lol.

Day 6:

Wasn't feeling my best today, but allergies on top of recovering cold like sickness was the main contribution. Plus the no sleep. Luckily it seems like the little guy is on the mend. Hoping to get some tonight. Supposed to do bootcamp at 5 but I'm worried about overdoing it and slowing down my getting healthy from this gunk.

Meal 1: Chocolate Chili, and sweet potato.

Meal 2: sardines mixed with Paleo mayo, tomato, onion, cilantro, and the olive oil it was packed in, over salad of Spring greens, broccoli, mushrooms. A little EVOO, salt and pepper. And a plum.

Meal 3: ground beef, broccoli, and sweet potato sautéed in coconut oil, coconut aminos, and sunshine sauce added at the end.

Day 7:

Meal 1: the slow-roasted pork cooked with eggplant and canned diced tomatoes. Coconut oil and coconut aminos.

Meal 2: same but with some mayo on top. I had leftovers from breakfast and was feeling lazy.

Meal 3: an In n Out burger protein style. Produce only. I meant to eat more salad but I was full and it was a crazy night. This was after we had a tornado down the street and I had waited out the warnings. Plus my baby boy was screaming for about 3 hours and we almost landed in the ER. He seems better today.

Day 8:

I woke at 3 am broken out in hives. Still troubleshooting this.

Meal 1: chocolate chili with sweet potato and broccoli.

Meal 2: salad of Spring greens, snap peas, Italian pork, Paleo mayo and Aleppo pepper.

Meal 3: 3 egg scramble with eggplant and spring greens. Cooked in coconut oil. Aleppo pepper and Tabasco on top.

Really glad I take a picture of all my meals, it really helps with these logs. I usually post while mobile so I haven't included any of them, but maybe I'll start doing that too.

Day 9:  

Today was a day of meh eating. But I was at the dredges of the end of the last shopping trip. I'm excited I stretched the food that long. It helped that I got a delivery of eggs and produce the day before, but for the most part this is all still from my first cookup minus the eggs. And I ate out. California Pizza Kitchen had lots of options!

Meal 1: 2 egg scramble with zucchini and spring greens. cooked in coconut oil. Aleppo pepper.

Meal 2: Tuna with the last of my homemade mayo and tomatoes over spring greens with olive oil, s & p.

Meal 3: Moroccan Chicken Salad from CPK without the dressing (champagne vinaigrette) butternut squashbeets, dried cranberries, hard-boiled egg, avocado, carrots, red bell pepper, dates, romaine lettuce, almonds, moroccan spiced chicken 

(sorry for the bold, I copied and pasted so I would get all of the ingredients)

Day 10: 

So excited to get to day 10, got up for bootcamp, I was bad and didn't have a pre wo or post wo meal. Broke out into hives again about an hour and 15 minutes into an hour and a half workout. These were pretty bad, but I didn't have Benedryl, so it took longer to take and stop them. They were all over my body. A nice person had children's bene so I took that and it slowed it down, and I took regular when I got home. I was kind of off until this evening as a result. Both breakfast and lunch I had this weird feeling of being hungry and full at the same time. But I went to Costco (which had lots of stuff including avocado oil!!! and organic grass fed beef, and coconut oil tubs, himalayan pink salt, tons of Whole30 stuff) and wasn't tempted by the samples at all.

Meal 1: the leftover salad from the night before with a fried egg (in coconut oil) on top because I didn't think there was enough chicken/protein left.

Meal 2: Cleaned out the fridge and used up the last of the ground beef, green beans, and squash. Over a bed of spring greens/spinach mix, olive oil and s & p. This meal was hard to eat, but I was hungry. It was a weird feeling.

Meal 3: Last of the chicken thighs, zucchini, mushrooms, pico de gallo (got more today at the grocery store, two tubs this time, yay!), all sautéed in ghee, with a little coconut aminos, aleppo pepper. Topped with habanero hot sauce.

Now I'm officially a third of the way through this journey. I'm feeling really good. If my son would just let me sleep I'd probably feel fantastic.

I'm slightly concerned about the hive stuff. If it happens again I think I'll make an appointment with my doctor.

•  

Welp. I'm in the ICU with acidosis. Not sure if it's from food, exercise, or something else, but I'm tapping out. Not sure where to go from here because this was the first time I've actually been able to maintain a style of eating a lose weight. I'm heartbroken. Today would have been day 17.

• 11 months later...

Almost a year later and I am on day 30 for my second attempt. I had to stop last April when I got metabolic acidosis from a stomach bug. Even though it wasn't caused by Whole30 I had a really rough time disassociating them from each other. Almost dying is a real mind trip.

I put on a ton of weight between last year. 45lbs. Today I weighed myself for the first time all month, I had put away the scale as instructed. 20lbs gone and I feel great. I will be sticking with the general rules for good.

I didn't want to get too caught up with the minutiae this time. So I didn't post a daily update this time, but I wanted to come back and record my success.

Archived