Sunday March 23 Day 1

gunz

Hi all,

I'm so excited to finally be doing my first Whole 30 starting tomorrow.  With the amazing bonus of my SO's commitment to it too.

I've had the "well fed" cook book floating around my house for at least two years, and some of the recipes in there are go-to's.  I've had phases in my life where I was "practically paleo" and in great shape and felt great - but over the last few years some of my really bad habits have snuck back in.  I decided I needed to do something drastic - moderation has never been my strong suit - so I remembered this site, and decided to dive all the way in.

Been cleaning out the kitchen, threw away most of contents of the cabinets and refrigerator, and going grocery shopping today, and doing a bunch of veggie prep.

Any tips on that grocery list would be much welcome.  I'm excited for cooking - both getting back into a Sunday ritual and daily dinner.   The boyfriend is especially worried about coming home from work hungry and wanting an easily grabbable snack ... I'm thinking hard boiled eggs, crustless veggie quiche, chopped veggies, raw nuts, fresh and dried fruits sitting around the house should be good. If I'm really ambitious, some meatballs will be waiting in the fridge later in the week.

Anyone else starting in the next few days, feel free to chime in here and we can support each other.

I assume you have downloaded the shopping list? Here is the link if you need it. http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-shopping-list.pdf. I would avoid eating a lot of dried fruit especially as a snack. If you need a snack your hard boiled eggs, veggies and nuts is great (a mini meal). I definately do a cookup once a week and I use my crock pot for easy meals. I freeze leftovers so I have quick meals in the freezer. I am thinking about doing another whole30 starting tomorrow. I am trying to decide if I should do the auto immune protocol or just the FODMAP protocol. Neither one sound great but I haven't had great results on the normal whole30. 

This is day 1 for me. I'm hitting the store with my list today. Enjoyed one last beer last night and now I'll take the plunge. A friend of mine suggested this plan due to my lack of sleep. So here's hoping it helps. My challenge will be that my husband is not going to take on the challenge. So I hope by pre planning meals and cooking up most everything on the weekends for each week will make it easier. I'm secretly hoping that he will see what great food I'm creating and he'll eat some meals with me. A lot of the recipes look great. Let's have fun with it and enjoy the results. Cheers!

Starting on Monday.  Shopping tomorrow.  I am hoping to see results with chronic pain and auto immune issues.I didn't know there was a separate protocol.  I will have to look at that,  hubby is on board, but have 2 young adults in the house that are not, so could be challenging.  Good luck all!

Good luck to you!  I started yesterday as well-  and while I am enjoying the food, I must admit I am SO HUNGRY!

There is no need to be hungry on a Whole30.  Make sure you're eating enough at every meal. Follow the recommended meal template of 1-2 palms of protein, 1-3 cups of veggies, and the appropriate amount of compliant fat. Create meals that satiate you for 4-5 hours.

If you have trouble creating such meals in the beginning, and you are genuinely hungry in between meals (hungry = you could eat steamed fish and broccoli), have a mini-meal that contains a protein and fat.

Also, be sure to stay sufficiently hydrated. Aim for drinking water, in the amount of at least half your body weight in ounces, daily.

I'm starting today for the first time. I'm excited to follow along with others who are doing the same. I've never eaten Paleo before and am going to really miss dairy, bit I'm doing this for my health. I suffer from depression and I've heard this way of eating has helped people with it. Ive also had a love hate relationship with food for as long as I can remember, always on a diet of some sort. Very poor body image and so tired of this on again off again with taking care of myself. I'm going for a lifetime change to good eating habits and this 30 days is just the beginning. My focus is going to be on my internal health, not my weight or what I look like. It will be hard because my motivation has always been to look good in my bikini. I've decided not to weigh myself before during or after. Or take any before and after pics. My new level of measurement will be how I feel. Renewed energy!!!!!! Here I come!

Hi all! My name is brogan! I started yesterday too! Had a really hard day today, made my grandma banana bread and took a bite :( it's hard not having support through text from someone, but I do love the daily email! Would anyone want to connect through a private Facebook group and check in everyday or when having troubles we can turn to each other easier? I just think the notifications would be easier :) I'm also on Instagram brogannicole2 sharing my experience as I go. Would love to follow you all!

Brogan- a private FB group would be of interest to me.

I began my second Whole 30- I went about 45 days on the first one (late July to September)- I felt so good that I didn't want to start adding things back in, knowing that once I did I might have a hard time putting the brakes on some foods. So, here I am again because I let food get the best of me. Again.

My first Whole 30 diminished migraines from 2 a week to 2 per month (I'm back to 2 per week again), I had so much more energy, fewer PMS symptoms, and I lost 15 pounds, but lost another 15 while doing the reintroduction and being very careful about what I ate. I opened my diet back up again right after Thanksgiving and made a trip to Disney... made some good food choices while I was there but made horrible ones (I discovered Peanut Butter M&M's- and talk about food with no brakes) when we got back, and I've put 8 pounds back on. I'm hoping for migraine reduction, first and foremost, to feel better overall, and shed a few pounds also. I also discovered that I CAN cook and that I can be good at it if I pay attention to what I'm doing! :)

I'm so happy you all have discovered Whole 30- it will be trying at times, it will be frustrating at times, it will be fun at times and it is SO worth it if you follow the program and dedicate yourself to it!

Day 2 of my 3rd Whole30. I have learned that I do not like large chunks of meat for breakfast. I had a turkey veggie stir fry for breakfast and decided to make some hamburger patties to freeze for quick meals. I loved my stir fry with little bits of ground turkey in it. When I took the patties out of the oven they smelled so good I decided to eat 1/2 of one. I was not thrilled. Now I have 7 1/2 patties that I need to eat for lunch or dinner. I am also addicted to sweet potato hash and eggs. I didn't have it this morning and I have been craving it all day. 7 cups of water down, 1 more to go!

I started my first Whole30 March 22. I'd love to be a part of a support group! Day 3 down for me but I'm really struggling with finding the balance of protein,veg and fat at each meal. I have been pretty hungry for the past three days! Will try again tomorrow! Off to have a cup of tea then bed!!

So many things to respond to here, so mostly just HI ALL and thanks for well wishes - right back at each and every one of ya.

I certainly haven't felt overly hungry the past two days, but the miracle part is that I don't feel stuffed when i finish eating.  Satisified, yes?  Am I eating to fullness, certainly (and I could probably honestly cut back on portions - but I'm giving myself a breather on that sort of thinking at least for a couple of weeks), but I haven't felt uncomfortably full - which is great.  And even more exciting - I'm stopping eating before all the food is gone ... starting to get a handle on actually listening to my body (again)  ... So, as the mod said, if you are hungry, maybe you need to increase the size of your meal, or add in some more protein/fat?

Good luck getting those migraines back under control - first & foremost!  It's good to hear from people who've had success with this in the past.  For now, we are still on the excitement/high of starting - but I'm sure there will be challenges along the way.  

Do let me know if you make a private facebook group, i'd probably join (since I spend most of my working hours in front of not one, not two but three computers ;)

And finally YAY for sweet potato hash - the boyfriend was not even aware of this culinary delight until yesterday, and today: it got him out of bed early to eat with me.

OK - I hope I responded to everyone.  If you're curious what we're eating, i'm logging in the Log your Whole 30 section below:  "Gunz & Butters"

I'm willing to create the private FB group. If you are interested please send me a private message and we'll connect to get you in the group.

Speaking to the hunger issue- listen to your body to find your "cue" that you are satisfied. I learned while on Weight Watchers (about the only thing that I remember that was truly helpful)- I take a deep breath when I have enough food in my stomach to avoid the "I ate WAY too much... roll me out of here" syndrome. On Whole 30, as long as I listened to the signal and had a good balance of protein, fruits/veggies and healthy fats, I would be able to go between meals without snacking. Find your "cue" and listen to it!

Also, if you have not yet read the "timeline" on the site, I highly suggest it. It will give you a good idea of some of the stages you may experience, such as lack of energy now and the grumpiness that may hit in a couple of days. I found it to be pretty accurate during my first Whole 30. Here's the link: http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/

Yes, a facebook group would be great! I will message you here in a minute :)

Also, I'm on a crunch for dinner! Totally forgot to thaw out some meat and don't know what to make for dinner! I just had a plate of some raw cauliflower, mushrooms, and broccoli but am very tempted to order something from a restaurant just for the meat such as a naked burger or grilled chicken.  I don't really want to make eggs again since I already had them for breakfast this morning. Any ideas?!

I thought it was day three but it is actually day 5 for me.  I don't know if that is good or bad. Also found out that eating meat in the morning instead of eggs keeps me fuller longer. I am really loving my meat and veggie stir fry in the morning. I also learned that it is really hard to drink 8 glasses of water a day. 

Hi all,

I'm so excited to finally be doing my first Whole 30 starting tomorrow. With the amazing bonus of my SO's commitment to it too.

I've had the "well fed" cook book floating around my house for at least two years, and some of the recipes in there are go-to's. I've had phases in my life where I was "practically paleo" and in great shape and felt great - but over the last few years some of my really bad habits have snuck back in. I decided I needed to do something drastic - moderation has never been my strong suit - so I remembered this site, and decided to dive all the way in.

Been cleaning out the kitchen, threw away most of contents of the cabinets and refrigerator, and going grocery shopping today, and doing a bunch of veggie prep.

Any tips on that grocery list would be much welcome. I'm excited for cooking - both getting back into a Sunday ritual and daily dinner. The boyfriend is especially worried about coming home from work hungry and wanting an easily grabbable snack ... I'm thinking hard boiled eggs, crustless veggie quiche, chopped veggies, raw nuts, fresh and dried fruits sitting around the house should be good. If I'm really ambitious, some meatballs will be waiting in the fridge later in the week.

Anyone else starting in the next few days, feel free to chime in here and we can support each other.

Hi I am at the end of day 5. I just was at a function where they served all this beautiful homemade desserts. It was difficult but I avoided the table and happy and confident. I love fruit and didn't realise that you may b satisfying a sugar craving. So try to b mindful of this. Checkout all the coconut products. Most of them have no additives. The nom nom paleo app is good but during the detox there are some things I found I couldn't have. Well good luck making the decision is half the battle and I started feeling great and happy. Something is definitely happening. I was eating a lot of crap before though. Happy days to you.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey is anyone still with us on this thread?  A few of us have gathered in Facebook, and it seems we're all still doing our thang as of Day 16!!

I hope this post finds others not on the book of faces still successful and feeling triumphant to have reached the second half.

Archived