Magnesium

healthforlife

Hi, up until recently I was taking a very high dose of magnesium (about 800 mg). I have an issue with constipation, and this seemed to get rid of it. Then, I was researching magnesium and saw that (per Web MD's website) the recommended dosage for my age range (I am 17) is 360 mg. I have been at this does for a little while now, and my constipation is recurring. Does anyone here have any insight on what a safe dose of magnesium is? Other websites were saying that higher doses were okay. I just want to make sure that I am not doing anything dangerous haha. :) (By the way I am about 97 lbs and 5 ft. tall, if that makes any difference.)

what form of magnesium were you taking? did a doctor prescribe it?

I think that information could be important, because some forms of magnesium are better absorbed than others. So, if you were taking an easily absorbed form, you might need less; a less-easily absorbed form, more. Too much magnesium can cause problems, but I think most people experience diarrhea first, and tend to discontinue magnesium before experiencing more serious side effects. Magnesium works for constipation in two ways: first, as a smooth muscle relaxant (relaxing the bowels) and second, by drawing water into the colon. If the 800mg dose was not causing diarrhea for you, I might go back to it for some relief, but set up an appointment with your doctor to talk about continuing it's use and also to see if you can get to the underlying cause of your constipation.

You might also consider eating more magnesium containing foods. Eating too much of these is not a big concern because your body will flush out extra dietary magnesium in the urine. Sources include:almonds, spinach, avocado, banana

I am taking chelated magnesium. No, a doctor did not prescribe it. I have seen my doctor before for this issue, and they just said to make sure I get enough fiber. Considering the quantity of vegetables I eat, I am definitely not lacking in fiber! Unfortunately, I do not eat avocados or almonds, as they make my skin break out. Bananas do not seem to do anything for me. I will try spinach though haha.

I have seen my doctor before for this issue, and they just said to make sure I get enough fiber.

How frustrating! Digestion is much more complex than just fiber intake. 

The chelated form of magnesium tends to be well-absorbed, so that is good.

You might want to also try digestive enzymes and/or probiotics to help with gut health. Fermented foods (like raw sauerkraut) are a good food-source for probiotics.

Archived