On our way to Whole30 success!

CaseyD

Well, here we are at Day 31. Congrats to any and all who made it to the end! This was far tougher than I thought it would be, and I definitely slipped around Day 12 or so and was not able to get back to perfect compliance. Still, it was a very interesting experience that I don't regret at all. I learned a lot about my lingering stubborn food issues, and very much enjoyed reading everyone else's comments and learning about their experiences, too. Good luck to all as the summer ends!

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Casey!

Have you read the blog entries from paleOMG regarding the 21 day sugar detox? They're a really good indicator of how much it helps to reduce your sugar cravings, and it's written by a sugar junkie! Definitely worth a look if you're interested in doing it yourself, sugar junkie or not.

I have to say that I really admire people who manage Whole30 with kids (actually... just life in general with kids!). I find it hard enough keeping MYSELF in check, let alone having to manage meals for other people. So as far as I can see, you're doing an amazing job, keep it up :)

Day 28, and I have to say while this hasn't been terribly hard, it hasn't been very magic either (except the one way we're not supposed to monitor: the scale - I have been weighing myself and it's definitely helping in that department). I dropped nuts and my GI tract seems to have gotten back in line, but I find the prospect of living without nuts very depressing. Hopefully the main issue was stress and or PMS/period stuff, but I am going to give it a bit more time before I put them back in. I've also been having nasty headaches almost daily for the past two weeks. I think it's from my coffee, which never used to bother me. So I am dropping my second cup, and will see if that helps, but at this point I am feeling like Whole30 is just leading to MORE restrictions instead of feeling fabulous and seeing what I can add back in. I had been hoping I could handle some dairy every now and then, but that seems unlikely if vegetable oil, nuts, and coffee are bugging me. The other possibility is that it's eggs or nightshades and that is even more horrifying to contemplate.

I know I already whined about this. But then I realized I was going to have to cut back on coffee, too!

I definitely haven't cured my sugar cravings, but that doesn't concern me as much as the fact that I still have reflux and other digestive distress (now with headaches!). In fact, I had some sugar today because I didn't realize the breakfast sausage had sugar in it. So technically, I've blown the Whole30 at 28 days. Sigh. But sugar really isn't my big issue. It's not to say the whole thing is a loss, but I wish I understood my body better and still don't.

Sorry to be a downer again.

Do you eat much fruit? I've discovered fruit really mess with my gut, but sweet potato doesn't. Well, berries don't seem to in small quantities either, but I rarely get to eat those with little miss berry eater around.

That sucks you're not feeling so great. I swear, the sleep issue was rocky right up until the very end. Now, since I have kept going, I'm actually starting to see some real improvement. That was my big thing - getting my sleep in line.

I have really laid off the fruit, too. Generally at this point, I have 2-3 eggs with some veggies and avocado, coffee with coconut milk, then maybe a hard boiled egg and some grapes for a snack if I am really hungry (but that happens more in the afternoon than the morning), leftovers for lunch, and a protein (chicken, fish, turkey) with vegetables for dinner. I'm trying to drink lots of water - and succeeding decently, I think - and getting exercise where I can even if I don't get to bike to work everyday. My stress is pretty high, though maybe starting to come down, and I'm not getting enough sleep but making an effort to get to bed as early as I can given work, kids, and W30 cooking! But I know the eating got easier from the first W30 to the second so maybe next time I can concentrate on sleeping more and stress reduction? Anyway, two days to go, and yes, I do have some chocolate waiting for me on the other side. :)

Hey Jenn,

aren't you back to work right now....my stress is high with the return of the monster month of September...Insurmountable amounts of work, meetings, etc....Maybe it is the stress...sorry to hear you are not feeling so great. A sweet potato with ghee is my soother and sometimes a sprinkle of cinnamon or nutmeg. Congrats on 28 days!!!!! :D

Feel better.....

Um, I can't count. :) Yesterday was Day 30. I did it (minus small sugar incident at the end). Of course, this morning the scale was up 3.5 from yesterday, just to prove the point that the scale is a ridiculous measure of one's self and/or progress. Either way, it's still a loss of 6-10 lbs. :) Will do measurements tonight.

Yay Jen! Congrats on finishing and on the weight loss!

Oh, and I think you posted something on FB about coconut and somewhere in there you mentioned how to turn it into sour cream. Have you tried that? I have a recipe I really want to try, but it calls for sour cream and I can't eat that - Whole30 or no. I'm going to try it with the coconut sour cream now that I know this is possible! Thanks for that. ;)

Yeah, we had the Chocolate Chili for dinner tonight (OMG, so insanely awesome) and I did the coconut milk & vinegar sour cream. It doesn't hold its consistency the way dairy does, so if that's important, be warned. Tastewise, it's outrageous! :)

This Whole30 has had more of an impact on me than I thought. My plan for my first off-roading/reintroduction was to have some chocolate, and I did have some at home that I knew I could eat. But I also had some dark chocolate stashed in my desk that I'd gotten as a gift so at one point I thought, maybe I'll have one of those. I read the label and it had soy this, and corn syrup, and maltodextrin that, and I was like, "No way can I eat something like THAT!" Finally after dinner tonight, I sat down with a couple of squares of dark chocolate with espresso nibs (sugar, but no other baddies) and really savored it. It was soooo good.

I also had a pumpkin "muffin" which I had avoided until now. Ingredient-wise it is ok, but I know all muffins are considered SWYPO. However, since we don't have jerky we can eat and I am avoiding nuts, I'm really limited in my convenient snack options, so it's not really a muffin for me, but a nut-free Larabar.

And the last off-roading I did was having smidges of parmesan when trying to convince my kids that the spaghetti squash was not poison. I failed, and couldn't even taste the parm, so that was basically a waste. Hope the tiny bit of dairy doesn't screw with me.

After this I will take the off-roading descriptions elsewhere. :)

Archived