Troubleshooting my Whole30/WholeLife

I finished my first official Whole30 a couple weeks ago, but decided to continue to make it a total of six weeks (i.e. a Whole42).  I had some awesome results, but didn't get everything I was expecting....hence why I continued.

At the end of the summer and last spring, I did two unofficial Whole30s and had AMAZING results.  I experienced all the results that I did this time around, but I also lost weight and my gut was much happier.  This time, not so much.  I call these two runs "unofficial" because I was taking a (high quality) fish oil supplement that had glycerin in it.

I'm not sure what's going on.  My GI tract has not been happy since about the second week.  I lost three inches from my waist and two from my belly, but my jeans are as tight as ever.  /:

I have been having a lot more vegetables and PLENTY of good fats, plus kombucha at least every other day as well as having made four batches of bone broth.  I have fruit and nuts no more than four times per week (and keep the portions small).  I haven't snacked, except for yesterday (free fish during the first day at my new job!).  I'm getting 8-9 hours of sleep every night and usually go to bed between nine and ten.

The only thing I can see that could be causing these issues is that I hadn't worked out (CrossFit) since August, and just started back at the end of my W30.

I'm thinking these two results are linked:  GI issues...not allowing me to lose weight.  But it's very frustrating and discouraging when the focus of this W30 was to improve my digestion.

Do I go back to taking my fish oil supplement again?  Do I continue for another two weeks?  Do I need more bone broth? more exercise? less fat? more sleep? more carbs?  Oy vey!

• Moderators

First, congrats on what sounds like several successful Whole 30s. That's quite an accomplishment, and it seems you're clearly moving in a terrific direction!

OK, so I understand the GI frustration (and unfortunately I don't know what to tell you on that front except to give it more time. Or maybe if the kombucha is new, it's not agreeing with you.). But is it correct that you lost five inches from your midsection yet are unhappy that the scale hasn't changed? I'm confused.

First, congrats on what sounds like several successful Whole 30s. That's quite an accomplishment, and it seems you're clearly moving in a terrific direction!

OK, so I understand the GI frustration (and unfortunately I don't know what to tell you on that front except to give it more time. Or maybe if the kombucha is new, it's not agreeing with you.). But is it correct that you lost five inches from your midsection yet are unhappy that the scale hasn't changed? I'm confused.

Thank you, LadyM!   :D

Maybe it's not so much that I'm unhappy...but just confused myself!  lol  I actually haven't weighed myself (I don't have a scale and don't plan to buy one), but have just been going by how my pants fit.  And when I look in the mirror, I can see that I've lost weight around my middle (and the measuring tape confirms it)....  I'm more frustrated with my digestion not improving!  Blergh.

Also, I've been drinking kombucha for at least a year now.  I think you're right though:  I just need to give it more time.  (;

Archived