Living La Vida Whole30

LatinaCurves

COUNTDOWN: 3 Days
When people say the Whole30 program will change your life – What do they mean?!  Starting April 1st I will begin my own Whole30 challenge and find out for myself just how it will change my life.  By the time I start my challenge though I don't think I'll be able to finish reading through the book, "It Starts with Food" by Dallas and Melissa Hartwig .  But I'm not going to let that keep from changing MY life.  Heck, if the thought of knowing I would have to eliminate a lot of foods – a LOT of foods – from my diet for the next 30 days hasn't stopped me yet then nothing will.  

I'm not saying I won't at some point in the beginning cop a fit, cry or possibly hurt my husband and kids.  That's a given and a right. Not an excuse but the truth. And sometimes the truth hurts, sorry guys.  Instead of thinking about the negative I'm going to make an effort to focus on the positive.  And find comfort in knowing that I'm filling my body with foods that will nourish me. It's real, comes from the Earth, can be plucked and/or butchered.

Let the count down begin: 3 days to shop, chop and cook.  3 days to warn everybody around me!   

El bueno: We're going to see the movie Noah on Sunday night.
El malo: We're seeing it at Studio Movie Grill.
El feo: I'm ordering the buffalo chicken flatbread pizza. My last supper.

Haha!  Enjoy that flatbread...mmmmmm!!!!!!

You need not have finished the book before you start.  In fact it is a great motivator once you begin.

Understanding the science and how important keeping insulin in check makes you NOT want to eat

non-compliant foods for the 30 days.  The "sciencey"   information is good to know.

You CAN do this, LC!    :)

Best wishes!

Thank you Nina!  I actually ended up with their Asian Chopped Chicken Salad and popcorn for an appetizer.  It was a late movie, later than what I had expected.  I just figured I'd play it safe. And I really didn't even miss that darn pizza like I thought I would.    

COUNTDOWN: I'm down to less than 24 hours!

I hope this challenge helps give me some clarity.  I wrote Sunday as the night before I start.  I was wrong. TONIGHT is my last supper. It's 5pm I'm thinking about what's for dinner. My husband wants breakfast for dinner.  I'm really not feeling that.  Decisions, decisions… 

And I finally got to experience all the hype about Trader Joe's.  Because it's new to our area it was very packed.  And as annoying as that can be sometimes I went back twice.  I picked up organic coconut oil, coconut spray, extra virgin olive oil, EVOO spray and ghee the first time.  The second time I went back for some frozen items, turkey burgers and chicken chile lemon burgers (both frozen raw), including a few cans of coconut milk. 

I'm so ready to pan fry some eggs with the coconut oil and another few with Ghee! 

El bueno: I'm half way prepped and ready to go for tomorrow! Whoohoo!

El feo: I'm only half way prepped.

El malo: I have another half way to go.

COUNTDOWN: I'm down to less than 24 hours!

I hope this challenge helps give me some clarity.  I wrote Sunday as the night before I start.  I was wrong. TONIGHT is my last supper. It's 5pm I'm thinking about what's for dinner. My husband wants breakfast for dinner.  I'm really not feeling that.  Decisions, decisions… 

And I finally got to experience all the hype about Trader Joe's.  Because it's new to our area it was very packed.  And as annoying as that can be sometimes I went back twice.  I picked up organic coconut oil, coconut spray, extra virgin olive oil, EVOO spray and ghee the first time.  The second time I went back for some frozen items, turkey burgers and chicken chile lemon burgers (both frozen raw), including a few cans of coconut milk. 

I'm so ready to pan fry some eggs with the coconut oil and another few with Ghee! 

El bueno: I'm half way prepped and ready to go for tomorrow! Whoohoo!
El feo: I'm only half way prepped.
El malo: I have another half way to go.

Have you read my forum "Another whole30 timeline"? This sounds like me. Check it out here. http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/15995-another-whole30-timeline/.  Good Luck!

DAY 1

What a day… It's almost 5pm and I've had two of my three meals and I'm not starving and I'm not cranky… yet.  I'll admit I missed my coffee this morning.  But I've decided to hold back and save it for the evening with coconut milk.  

And the thought of reaching for some Hershey's chocolate did cross my mind.  I'm so lucky (not) to have a full bowl of it sitting at the receptionist desk and another one at the executive admin's desk.  I can't tell you how many times PER day I pass by each of them and grab a Kiss or a mini Reese's or two, or three, or four.  But today when I passed by them, I passed them naughty chocolates up too! 

D1M1 went like this:

4 hard boiled eggs.  2 whole and 2 whites.

1/2 medium avocado

1/2 medium sweet potato with a tad of ghee

dash of salt and lots of pepper

2 mandarin oranges

D1M2:

Quarter Leg/Thigh roasted chicken – I cheated and bought one already cooked from Sam's Club.  I know they over do it on the salt.  But I didn't feel like cooking last night.

1 tomato

1/2 avocado

1 cup brussel sprouts

and a fresh jalapeño

1 cup mixed berries

1 TB of sunflower seeds

D1M3: This is what I'm planning on having.

Trader Joe's Turkey Burger

1 cup green peppers and onions sautéed in 1 TB coconut oil

1 cup green beans

5 jalapeño stuffed green olives

1 cup black coffee with a splash of coconut milk

I would really appreciate it if someone could check me and critique my meals.  I have 3 other ladies at my job who are doing this with me and all of them have totally bombed out already. lol  One had cream and sugar in her coffee this morning. Another just said screw it and ate whatever she wanted for lunch. And the last one had gluten free bread and brown rice thinking that was 'good'.  Maybe but it's not Whole30 compliant – DUH! lol

The last thing I want to is to depend on others around me to do the challenge so that I stay on track.  I'm not doing this for them, not for my husband or kids, not for vanity reasons either.  I'm doing this for ME because I want to feel better physically.  The glowing skin and/or weight loss if that happens is great and an added bonus.  But for once I've discovered a new approach to healing and feeling better on the inside.  Which will soon enough show itself on the outside.  And a community that not only has already succeeded, but others just like me beginning their journey. SO I know I'm not alone.  :D 

Meals look ok.

Are the jalapeño stuffed green olives from Trader Joe's?  If so, those are not compliant, as they contain sulfites.

Whoops, I'm sorry: I deleted one of your double posts, and it somehow deleted both posts.  My sincere apologies.

DAY 3 – Woke up feeling GREAT!

This is how my day 2 went like yesterday…

D2M1

4 whole boiled eggs

1/2 sml avocado

1 cup green beans

1/2 med sweet potato

D2M2

1 Trader Joe's turkey burger

1 cup green pepper and onions sautéed in coconut oil

1/2 sml avocado

1/2 med sweet potato

2 mandarin oranges

D2M3 *What I had planned to eat

2 chicken thighs pan fried in coconut oil

1 cup steamed spinach

1/2 sml avocado

Handful mixed berries

D2M3 *What I ended up having

Chipotle Salad

Lettuce

Carnitas

Guacamole

Pico

Salsa

I'm really surprised at how I'm feeling this morning. Not at all hung over like I've read in the timeline. Am I normal? Or am I up for a big surprise soon? 

The past two days I've felt kinda stuffed. The difference I've noticed between eating this way and feeling stuffed vs. tearing into a whole pizza or gobbling up a butt load of tacos de barbacoa, arroz y frijoles is that I feel SATISFIED.  I'm not feeling miserable nor sluggish afterwards either. Just feel like I ate too much.  Maybe it's because I'm eating a ton more veggies and fruit than before. Could be gas! 

I'm also realizing how important it is to READ the labels. Don't just skim over them but really look at the ingredients.  Thank God for our moderators, like Chris, who are very supportive and helpful.  As much as I'd like to think I'm a person that pays attention to details I can overlook the fine print sometimes too.  Honestly, I've never really cared before so this has been an eye opener for me.  I love olives and anything stuffed with or in jalapeño especially are my favorite. But they have sulfites in them as Chris had pointed out in a previous post.  So I'll have to forgo them another 27 days. Wua!

While I'm only a few chapters into the book, on chapter 4, I'm already noticing a change in the way I think about food.  Partly because of the book, partly because of all of you in the forums, and partly now because of what I've been eating.  I have 27 days and 18 more chapters to read. It'll be interesting to see how I evolve in this process. 

El bueno: I'm 3 Days old today! Yay!

El malo: I miss my coffee. Almond milk and Coconut milk aren't cutting it for me… yet. 

El Feo: We've been invited to an event this evening. I may need to sew my mouth shut.

This is what I had yesterday. 

D3M1
2 whole boiled eggs
1/2 sml avocado
1 cup green beans
1/2 med sweet potato

D3M2
1 Trader Joe's turkey burger
1 cup green pepper and onions sautéed in coconut oil
1/2 sml avocado
1/2 med sweet potato
2 mandarin oranges

D3M3
2 hard boiled eggs
1 Sausage patty
Large handful olives *Not compliant. They have sulfites. I planned on not eating them anymore. But since I'd already purchased, opened and ate them previously I've decided to finish them out.
1 cup black coffee
Splash coconut milk. Goya brand from a can. *Don't think this is compliant either. But it's same situation as above. 

I'm into Day 4 today.  And it'll be my first weekend on the challenge too.  I know I'm not going to be 100% perfect 100% of the time.  You sugar and bread-oholics know what I mean I bet.  Which I haven't cheated or at least I wouldn't really call it that.  A couple of items I had purchased (coconut milk and green olives) were not compliant.  But I'm learning and that counts right?  The next time I go to the supermarket I'll be sure check and re-check the labels.  Guess I'm feeling guilty because I've decided to finish them out. I'm not going to beat myself up over it though. It is what it is.

This afternoon I grabbed a co-workers lotion to moisturize my hands, Bath & BodyWorks Fresh Picked Pears scent, and it was alright.  But after about 30 minutes I motioned my hands while talking and got a whiff of it and it reminded me of chocolate brownies. My first thought after that was, Oh boy I'm screwed! I fought through the craving. Washed my hands and was done with it. I do have another headache this afternoon like yesterday too. I'm wondering if it's related to my sugar cravings or poor habit. I'd have something sweet around the same time EVERY single day.  They say it takes 21 days to break a habit. And I've been employed at the same agency for 10 years, that's an awfully long time to have one.  Geeze I hope I can break it. No - I will break it!  I claim it!

Having my coffee with coconut milk this afternoon instead of waiting until after diner. Not because I need a boost either. It's because of the way I feel. I'm wondering while writing this post, is it possible I'm replacing one habit for another? Surely this is a much healthier option. But will I be satisfied? And what is it I'm trying to satisfy? Well, my sugar craving! So then am I looking at this all wrong? I need help! 

El bueno: Day 4 is almost complete. 
El malo: I just realized that TMO is around the corner. 
El feo: 
I'm smelling things that are reminding me of foods I can't have right now.

Archived