Greens Plus Organic Superfood-Raw?

rocks223

Is this supplement compliant for Whole30? It's Greens Plus Superfood Raw which isn't quite as flavored or enhanced as their other(more stevia enhanced) supplements and is soy, dairy, and gluten free. The only things in it that are questionable are barley grass, wheat grass, oat grass, and trace amounts of stevia leaf. I'm aware that barley, wheat, and oat are non-compliant but if they are in grass form is that okay? I also know that stevia is off but it's essentially unsweetened and is a trace amount. I usually take this every day and have steered clear from all supplements since starting Whole30 five days ago but have recently come down with an upper respiratory infection that's turning into a lower respiratory infection.  I typically never get sick; maybe once every few years and take lots of greens plus supplements, non-sugar vegetable juices, E-mergenC's, etc which I contribute to my strong immune system. However, I started a physical therapy rotation at a pediatric neuro-rehab center this past week and am around a number of sick kids(which again has never been a problem) but my immune system is likely a little more compromised since starting Whole30 due to the transition from primarily CHO's to fats/proteins as its form of energy substrate. So, yes my digestion feels great along with my cardiovascular/musculoskeletal system but I'm not kicking this infection quite like I usually do and feel that I need a little extra boost of concentrated nutritional supplementation and took a small scoop with unsweetened cranberry juice this morning. What is your judgement call in this scenario? I don't want to blow this thing out of the water!

• Moderators

Really, your immune system is not degraded since you quit taking all the supplements you had before. Your body uses only a trace amount of most supplements, if any. Supplements make you feel good about yourself, but do little for your actual health. They are one of the biggest shams in the history of snake oil sales. I'm not saying there is no value to all supplements, but I am saying very strongly that most supplements deliver almost nothing but an opportunity to feel good about how you are "taking care" of yourself. And very often, people keep eating a steady diet of crap that actually harms their health because they believe supplements balance everything out and give them the nutrition they are not getting from the food they eat. The truth is that our bodies do a better job of getting needed nutrition from whole foods that they do from pills, powders, and potions. 

Archived