Hi-ball Energy Drink

GreyStreet

I've been drinking these in place of no carb Monster or Rockstar energy drinks for quite a while now and I'm pretty sure they're legit on the plan, but wanted to make sure.

This is the ingredients list,

Carbonated Purified Water, Natural Flavor, Organic Caffeine, Organic Guarana Extract, Organic Panax Ginseng Extract, Niacinamide (Vit B3), D-Calcium Pantothenate (Vit B5), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vit B6), Cyanocobalamin (Vit B12).

• Moderators

This falls into the category of technically compliant, but far from anything we would recommend you consume during a Whole30. It is an energy drink whose purpose is to jack you up. That is not healthy. What we want is for you to discover how good your energy levels can be eating real, whole foods and keeping things that jack you up our of your diet for 30 days. 

As a dedicated coffee drinker, I can't honestly call foul on your energy drink - I love my morning cuppa Joe. BUT I would certainly limit the amount of that energy drink that you consume in a day and I would suggest that you don't consume any of it after 11 AM or you will risk wrecking your sleep. I would also check with the manufacturer regarding the 'natural flavor' - I've been reading that some of the 'natural' flavors are really not good for you.

Yeah I'm not a coffee person at all and have always got caffeine from Rockstar, Xyience, Monster, etc...I wiped those out for the most part over the last year and have just been using these HiBall drinks or loose leaf tea for my caffeine kick.  It's always just one in the morning with breakfast.  I buy them by the case from our local health food shop and I currently have 5 in the fridge.  Since they're technically compliant I think I'm going to ween off of them during the W30 and just not buy anymore beyond the few I currently have.  It will give me a chance to gently get away from them :)  I've done zero caffeine months in the past and the first couple of days worth of headaches definitely points to dependence, so it's probably good to get away from them for a few weeks.

Archived