Easter Sunday

My husband called me at work a bit ago and asked if I would like to do brunch Easter Sunday at Brio's after church.  He wanted to make reservations since it's a holiday.

And at first I was a little annoyed not because he's not doing the challenge with me, but because he knows I'm doing the challenge and asked me (while chuckling) why can't I restart it after Easter?  What? I paused for a moment and I think my silence was enough for him to take back what he said. lol  He told me we could hold off going until after my 30 days.  But I don't want him or my two son's feeling like prisoners because my eating for the next 30 days has changed.  No they're not doing it with me. They're the you do it first and if it goes good for you then I'll try it type when it comes to anything 'diet' related. 

If we do end up going I was checking out their brunch menu: http://www.brioitalian.com/menus.html

They have roasted turkey, zucchini, peppers, onions sweet potato hash and 2 cage free eggs meal.  Honestly I don't think their turkey is Whole30 compliant. I might ask for bacon, but that probably isn't either. What if I were to replace the turkey with an additional egg or 2? That might work huh..

Has anyone else thought about Easter Sunday feasts yet and what's your plan of action?

That meal with some modifications/clarifications (check the oils and seasonings) sounds like a good option!  My plan at the in laws is to eat a huge portion of the salad I am bringing, olive oil based dressing I will make and bring, and hardboiled eggs.  It might be boring, but it's one meal.  I can eat something more fun later at home.

Why wouldn't their turkey be compliant?  

Also, when it comes to holidays and special occasions, my personal take is, "do your best."  Order the most Whole30 compliant meal on the menu, make reasonable modifications, but don't obsess about things that are out of your knowledge and control.  Like you said, neither you nor your family need to be prisoners to an eating plan.  Life, yo.

Since you have the menu already and you're still a few weeks away, I would recommend calling the restaurant to see whether the chicken is compliant and what modifications they might be able to make for you. If you were post-Whole30, I would agree with almondjoyless to just do your best, but since you're still in the middle of it, you don't want to accidentally get soy, dairy, gluten, etc that would mess up your reintros (and not to mention possibly upset your stomach or make you feel sick). I have found that when you call ahead, the people at restaurants are very polite and accommodating.

This might also be an opportunity for your family to see that this new lifestyle your working on won't hold them prisoner! I know when I started my Whole30, my boyfriend was worried that we would never eat out again, but this can perhaps be the first step to show them that you can still eat out and you can eat food that is both super tasty and healthy! :)

Why wouldn't their turkey be compliant?  

Also, when it comes to holidays and special occasions, my personal take is, "do your best."  Order the most Whole30 compliant meal on the menu, make reasonable modifications, but don't obsess about things that are out of your knowledge and control.  Like you said, neither you nor your family need to be prisoners to an eating plan.  Life, yo.

The turkey could contain gluten, carrageenan or soy, for starters.  And I agree, it's almost impossible to get compliant bacon, ham or sausage at a restaurant (too big a risk for sugar or gluten).

CarolinaVol has the right idea on calling ahead. As someone who's been gluten free over 7 years, it's perfectly fine to inquire if food you're paying for can be prepared in a compliant way, plus restaurants regularly receive calls like this these days. Discuss your ideas for what you'd like, ask all the right questions (especially on cooking oils and seasonings used), so you can settle upon some options that will work for you and Whole30.

The garden omellete could work without the cheese, as long as the omelette mixture contains just eggs (no dairy or pancake batter), the salsa doesn't contain sugar, and they use a compliant oil (no butter) for cooking it.

Archived