Riverjack

kcrady57

Yeah, what Faith says!

I'd say communication is key for us - and LISTENING. When BF talks, for example, try to hear what he is saying and how he is feeling - which can be tricky to do over the noise of your own feelings... We've been together for 16 years, and this has worked well for us.

Hope this is helpful.

Hugs,

kaye

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You two are awesome! Thank you so much!! HUGS

I am going to do just that. Put away the task list for tonight, have a nice dinner together and have fun playing frisbee or bocci or something. Normally this would happen with some wine but sparking later with berries will have to do.

Thank you for listening.

Hi Kaye, thought of you yesterday while driving with my momma... Brown Eyed girl came on the radio, and as soon as I heard the first two lines.... "Hey where did we go, Days when the rains came"... I thought of you curled up with a book!

Okay, seriously. You how do you do the hyper link thingy???

Hey Lola! Sorry I didn't answer that question sooner. It's really easy; first copy the link you want to paste so it's on your clipboard. Then type in whatever text you want to be clickable... Highlight that bit of text, then look at the second row on the toolbar (top of the edit window). The ninth icon in looks like a link of chain - "link" - get it? Click on that and paste the hyperlink you copied earlier and Voila! there's your hyperlink!

That is perfect Lola! She does love to curl up with books. In fact it is not often you see her without a book. She literally carries her kindle with her everywhere she goes. :) I love to read too but she beats me on that one. She is great with Trivia too - I love it I can ask her a question about something and she usually knows the answer. I call her family the "Jeopardy" family. I keep telling them they need to go to LA and get on Jeopardy and win us lots of money. :lol:

Hey Whole 30 Buddy - Grats on Day 30! Woohoo!

She is great with Trivia too - I love it I can ask her a question about something and she usually knows the answer. I call her family the "Jeopardy" family. I keep telling them they need to go to LA and get on Jeopardy and win us lots of money. :lol:

If you get on the show, we would totally be in the studio audience cheering for you! We are huge jeop fans and have been looking for an excuse to attend a taping!!!

:D It's Day 30!! :D

Of course, I'm not stopping anytime soon, but wow! I made it this far!

In the past month:

• I haven't ordered out or gone to a fast food restaurant
  • I haven't eaten any chocolate or candy or pastries
  • I've bought the majority of my food from the farmers market and Whole Foods
  • I've learned how to make mayonnaise
  • I've roasted hatch green chiles
  • I've made cold-brew coffee
  • I've cooked and enjoyed kale ^_^
  • I've eaten pork belly
  • I roasted a chicken
  • I made bone broth (and Derval, that method I linked works just fine)
  • I'm pretty sure I've lost some weight without even trying hard
  • I've walked my dogs almost every day

And I've made some great new friends here on the Whole 30 Forums!

Thank you, my friends, for keeping me company on the journey!

Thanks everyone!

Today is Day 33 - and still going strong! I've started looking at this process as less of a Whole 30 and more of a Whole Life! To me that means taking the Whole 30 as a foundation for the way I eat for the rest of my life! Continue eating good, nutritious whole foods, and enjoy an occasional off-road experience - on special occasions, for example! There's a recipe in Practical Paleo for Flourless Mocha-Bacon Brownies that I'm salivating over, and plan to make when my sister comes to visit at the end of September. I'm going to experiment with re-introducing dairy to see if it's as much of an issue as I think it could be - and then I'll know the consequences when I decide to have a bit of cheese on a salad, or a (very rare!) bowl of ice cream!

At age 54, I've decided that the second half of my life is going to be healthy and vibrant! Here's to LIFE!

Renee,

I'm impressed with Practical Paleo - you're getting a lot of book for your money here. It's big, it presents all the information we've seen before in a somewhat different way - would be easier for total newbies to grasp, I think - it's pretty...

Part 1 - The Why--Food and Your Body

General info about paleo here, including stocking your pantry, shopping, restaurants, etc. plus a blow-by-blow description of your digestive system, what can go wrong at each stage and things you can do to correct problems.

Part 2 - 30 Day Meal Plans

I think this is the most valuable part of the book, there are plans here for specific medical issues ranging from Autoimmune Conditions, Blood sugar Regulation, to Cancer Recovery and Athletic Performance.

and that's just the first half of the book...

Part 3 - Recipes

This includes all the recipes you'd need for the 30 day meal plans, of course. I think there are around 120 different recipes, and lots of them look yummy! Not all are Whole 30, since this isn't a Whole 30 endorsed book - but lots in there to work with post-Whole 30.

All in all... I'm not sorry I bought it, I'm learning new things as I read it, and as you said - the flourless mocha-bacon brownies alone are just about worth the price of the book in my opinion!

Just did a quick scan of the diet and lifestyle recommendations for fat loss meal plan... the biggest thing seems to be avoiding fruit - as in eat in small amounts as a dessert, not as a regular part of meals... The recommend to avoid too much cardio exercise (30-60 mins) because it can lead to low blood sugar or a stress response... Oh and excess dietary fat - enjoy what occurs naturally in the meats, eggs, avocado, etc but don't add a lot of extra fat when cooking. There's a list of nutritional supplements to consider as well. Looking at the menus, I don't see ANY desserts listed, and the only fruit that stands out are meat dishes that use citrus.

I kind of wonder if this would be similar to the 21-Day Sugar Detox program - pretty sure fruit is off-limits in that one...

Counting down the days now - this is day 36 of 40!

Got up yesterday morning and walked the dogs even though I hadn't planned to - it's become such a habit that it's hard NOT to go, when pre-Whole 30 I would often hope for rain or some other excuse to skip it. Had breakfast, got the dogs fed, cleaned up the kitchen, planned out the week's food with my SO and STILL was almost early getting to farmer's market!

I do love my farmer's market days! This week we loaded up the fridge and freezer with lots of good grass-fed ground beef, ground pork and pork shoulder, sausage and pork belly - and some good, wild-caught fresh gulf shrimp! Faith found a recipe in Everyday Paleo that she wants to try out today - I can't wait! It's so cool to open my fridge or freezer these days when it's overflowing with good healthy organic meats and vegetables...

I made a new friend at farmer's market, too! I stopped to chat with a couple of women selling all-natural counter sprays (oregano mint - smells lovely!) and it turns out one of them is about to start her own Whole 30! I pointed her to these forums as a resource - so if you wind up reading this, Hi Holly and Welcome!

Yes, I did get the counter spray... after reading the Whole 30 Daily a couple of days ago about what we put ON our bodies and use in our homes, I think I'm going to start looking for more organic products...

The recipe was Coconut Shrimp, and there were NO leftovers! I'm sure Faith will post about it in her log tomorrow, I don't want to steal her thunder!

Wow! It's day 41, which means my 'official' Whole 30 journey has reached a milestone! Reintroducing dairy today, which so far means I had some greek yogurt with my berries and nuts this morning. I will be starting a new log shortly for the maintenance; I'll post a link here when I do so you can find me.

My apologies for being absent for a while - this past week has been kind of crazy. Among other things, we discovered that it is possible to drink too much water... Faith will explain more in her log later today, but the week did involve a trip to the emergency room and a couple of days at the hospital. All is well now, she's home and recovering and should bounce back to normal in a few days.

I am so eternally grateful to the Whole 30, and to Dallas and Melissa Hartwig for making it all possible. That which was 'merely' dangerous this week would have been life-threatening 6 weeks ago. And I never would have had the stamina to go some 36 hours without sleeping - I'm still amazed that I didn't become physically ill with the stress of the past few days.

AND I stayed Whole 30 compliant!!

As for the Whole 30...

Turns out I lost a total of 8 pounds. More than some, less than many. I know what I could have done differently - adding a more vigorous exercise regimen rather than just walking the dogs daily - but this first Whole 30 journey was more about the food for me. I needed to conquer the sugar demons and get over the cravings for salty crunchy snacks, and that was probably enough of a challenge to begin with.

Otherwise - I've mentioned before all the good changes I've experienced, no need to repeat myself here as they're all still true! Very soon, I will commit to more exercise - and I expect you folks to hold me accountable for that! :unsure:

Have a great day!

:)

Archived