Food Aversions

Tomorrow will mark my 9th week of pregnancy. I am one of the few lucky ones who has had little to no morning sickness, but I am experiencing some serious food aversions. Two weeks ago, all I wanted was bread, cheese, sweets, pizza, fried food, etc. Leafy greens turned me off, and I could barely stomach any other vegetables. Last week was so much better.  I started the Whole 30 on Monday with a group from my CrossFit gym, and I felt great.  Until Saturday came and I was at birthday party where the food options were crab dip, chicken wings, pizza, chips and dip, and of course, birthday cake. Needess to say, I did not make good choices.  Sunday was a little better, but not much. 

Today I had an apple and some pecans before my workout, but now the thought of eating the satueed kale and parsnips with sausage that I brought for my breakfast is making me queasy.  So I had a larabar (not the best option, I know)... but all I can think about is eating a bagel with cream cheese. 

HELP!  And other pregnant women out there going through the same thing?

Not pregnant, but I'd imagine that right now you should try to give yourself things that you *can* eat. So if greens and such make you queasy, then eat what won't. You mentioned fried things - make some fried chicken with almond meal. Try making veggie fries (sweet potato, jicama, carrot, whatever kind you can) and actually maybe fry them to get the texture right (as opposed to baking).

Melissa Hartwig mentioned that, during times of intense cravings or aversions, to just do the best you can and eat as close to the template as possible (she even had yogurt during her first trimester, if I remember correctly, because it was one of the only things she could make herself eat). You're pregnant, your hormones are crazy, and you're making a person. Be kind to yourself!

Thank you!  I really appreciate your response, and I have been doing exactly that.  I am going to try to not go overboard, and I love your suggestions.  I, too, could only stomach yogurt yesterday.  I bought some full-fat Fage greek yogurt and added some berries and honey.  At least it has a ton of protein, even though its no where near Whole 30 compliant.  I figure that every week, or even every day will be different, so I'll take it one at a time and do my best.

Thanks again!!

Think about eating in smaller meals - sometimes that makes the food more tolerable. Also, would soup be more tolerable? It's more "comforting" and bland, plus you'll be getting some good broth/gelatin. I know it's not Whole30 compliant, but I found that paleo baked goods were more tolerable as well, especially something like coconut flour bread that could be toasted. Also not Whole30 but nutrient-dense smoothies might be a good option as well. Good luck and hang in there. 

• 2 weeks later...

@emily354 I am 8 weeks pregnant today (edd 28 Nov!) and on day 19 of my third whole30. I started on the day I found out I was pregnant! The first two weeks I did not have any food aversions, but today, my favourite breakfast of hard boiled egg, smoked salmon, spinach and avocado was making me queasy. I still ate it but I didn't get the same joy out of it as I normally would. Today, I just want baked goods... Like really badly.

Archived