Ghee - cultured vs sweet cream

littleg

• Whole30 Certified Coach

I just finished my first W30 without ghee because I'm not a big fan of cultured butter (I prefer sweet cream butter) and the only ghee locally was cultured.  The other ghee thread on here got me clicking around the interwebs and it seems as though there are both sweet cream and cultured ghee out there.  Has anyone tried both?  Is there a noticeable difference?  I tried a cultured ghee a few years ago and tossed the jar because I just couldn't stand that "tang".  Thanks :)

I just purchased PURE Ghee and I like it better than the other one I had. I also threw it out. It had a blue label and was next to the butter in the store. I can't tell if pure ghee is from sweet cream butter. Have you tried making you own clarified butter from sweet cream butter? Maybe that would be the easiest solution.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Whole30 Certified Coach

Just in case anyone out there reads this... I made my own ghee out of TJ organic sweet cream butter.  O.M.G.  It tastes like caramel.  I'm not kidding.  I followed nomnompaleo's directions and then those of one of her commentors

...A few things to be careful of: the butter solids should be a caramel colour... not white at all. That's traditional ghee with all the nutritive properties, water cooked off, and clear. If after 25-30 minutes of cooking the solids are still very light coloured, you need to cook the ghee longer or turn the heat up *slightly*...

I just used one stick of butter and filled up one of those little 4oz Ball jars with a little left over and a little spilled :)

Archived