Kombucha?

Hey all,

I recently had to take a short course of antibiotics to fight an infection, so I'm looking for somethings to make my gut happy again.

I went to my local health food store to see if they carried this kombucha stuff, having not much of an idea of what it was. I was directed to their cold fridge, where they had a bunch of different flavoured bottles. It does list organic fairtrade cane sugar as an ingredient. I asked the girl if they have anything unsweetend, and she looked at me really funny, and said they did carry some other thing that was kind of like vinegar that you drink a really small amount of.

Is it the second thing that's OK to drink on Whole 30? She said the stuff in the bottle is not sweet, even though it lists sugar as the ingredient, that it might just be part of the fermentation process. But I'm not sure.

It's this brand: http://www.risekombucha.com/en

Verdict?

Thanks!

Kombucha requires some sugar for the fermentation to occur. Read the nutrition label to see how much is in there; I had to switch brands when I found that my beloved farmers market kombucha had 12 grams of sugars! I've read in another thread here that it's okay to drink if there are no more than 2 grams of sugars. Look for the GT's brand, its the only one I've found to be Whole 30 compliant. The Gingerade flavor is the best!

I'm drinking the Gingerade right now!! It's good, the flavor takes some getting used to. But are you supposed to drink the bits that have settled at the bottom??? :wacko:

Yep! I do! I just swirl it up and drink all that down. It is parts of the 'mother' or scooby if you like. I love GT! I can find it at my regular market in the health food section. Yum!

I'm drinking the Gingerade right now!! It's good, the flavor takes some getting used to. But are you supposed to drink the bits that have settled at the bottom??? :wacko:

Be careful if you are not used to drinking this stuff! I bought a bottle and spread it over 3 days. I liked it a lot better than kraut. Yesterday I drank the last of it with the muddy bits and I had a tummy ache all afternoon. I would recommend drinking it before bed. I must say, I felt MUCH better this morning. ;)

I try to get those muddy bits floating around before I pour a cup of the kombucha; that way I get a little of them every day instead of drinking them all at once.

Tried GT's Original Flavor, and while it's drinkable, I'll be sticking to my Gingerade.

We make our own kombucha. For kombucha to "work", the sugar has to be eaten up in the fermentation process so to be truly kombucha, no matter how many grams of sugar the bottle started with, most of that sugar is eaten up while that bottle sits. Once the kombucha hits the fridge, the fermentation slows... It's still happening but greatly slowed down.

The only way to really know what you are drinking is to make your own. We love Dave's, too, and trust that -- he's been doing it a long time.

Archived