Foods that cross-react with gluten

Here is Sarah Ballantyne's page on gluten cross-ractivity. It's got more of the sciency explanation, plus a more extensive list. http://www.thepaleomom.com/2013/03/gluten-cross-reactivity-update-how-your-body-can-still-think-youre-eating-gluten-even-after-giving-it-up.html

The bright side though is that if you eliminate those foods and let your gut heal (takes anywhere from 3 months to a couple years) you will probably be able to reintroduce most of the foods on the list that are still paleo (eggs, coffee, chocolate, tapioca, etc.) I'm doing AIP right now and have removed all those foods, plus all nightshades, nightshade spices, nuts, seeds, and seed spices. I'm hopeful that I'll be able to reintroduce everything but nightshades. Nightshades are the most difficult to reintroduce because of the toxic alkaloids.

My husband has trouble with dairy as well as gluten.  Someone posted an article that talked about the proteins in some foods looking similar to the proteins in gluten (according to their immune system) and they react to them as well. 

We are done with our whole 30 and it helped him greatly with his autoimmune issues.  He has (we think) leaky gut.  After our whole 30, he started tinkering with resistant starch to further heal his gut.  He has seen continued improvement in his symptoms (clearer skin, joints feeling good.)  We still eat pretty close to whole30, with the exception that he eats a good amount of home prepared beans now.

I don't know if he'll ever be able to reintroduce gluten in any significant form.  He ate a couple of brownies on easter and while they were tasty, he said he wasn't going to do that again for awhile.

I keep trying to do an AIP because of this (I am coeliac)....and failing miserably! Think I have struggled to find enough variety in my meals.

Archived