2nd Round of Whole30

iteach

I'm not one to just plop some stuff out here on the internet for everyone so it's a little different for me to share things.

I truly love this forum and the website information---it got me through the first Whole30.

Technically speaking this is my Day1 of my 2nd round of Whole30...or I guess in basic terms, I'm keeping on the path of eating Whole30.

It's truly embarrassing to say that I started the 1st Whole 30 weighing 205 pounds on this 5'5"--I lost 10 pounds, so 195's not too bad to see but....I've got 40 to go to make my doctor happy and not be labeled "obese". And I'm over 40, so let's just add that to the mix.

My goal for this log is to help me keep track of what I'm eating when I have a chance to share. I welcome comments and suggestions. 

Stealing a moment from my morning routine to check in a few posts. Funny how the shower will wait and it'll be okay if I'm a few minutes behind just to find another Whole30 approved recipe!

Tomorrow will be a whole week (the first 7 days) of round 2...and grocery shopping day. 

Hormones. I forgot how heightened they were during the first week of the first round--and here they are again. Last time I was on spring break. I could deal. I had a place to hide until the bear in me subsided. I'm a teacher. There's no hiding. 

One thing I've learned over the past week with everyone's blogs...I need to make sure my plate's full of veggies and married with a protein....meat. I'm a meat eater.

That all being said, I've had days when we've been low or out of meat--canned tuna was my friend a couple of times, but others I had just veggies and fruit. I didn't die. I survived, but I was hungry. It's just the life of getting my ducks in a row for grocery shopping. 

The good thing about it all---I didn't give in. I didn't say, "Whatever", and I'm thinking it'll be okay.

:)

Week 1 of round 2 is here...finally.

And...I took the day off from work to clean, grocery shop, grade papers, and get all my end of the year stats done two weeks early. It's cold, rainy, and I have a series on Netflix I'd like to finish, so which one of these activities will actually get done? 

Today I feel....

Happy and not so tired in the evenings; I mean, I can go to bed at 9 and wake up at 6 feeling pretty darn good. I still sleep like a log at night and can't get over the fact that sleep is the main commonality of everyone's posts. Have we been so sleep deprived over the numerous years of poor eating that we forgot what it was like?

I have two enormous black lab puppies (4 months and 2 years) hogging the foot of our queen size bed who roll over and snore louder than the Prince Charming (aka: my husband of 21 years). And even he has a slight Shrek-look with his mouth hung open with a line of drool escaping his mouth while snoring. So how does one sleep with this BEFORE eating poorly? I dunno either. But I like sleep now.

Food...

Yesterday, we had a wonderful lunch brought to us for Teacher Appreciation week. Before, I would NEVER be so bold as to ask a hostess what types of spices or ingredients were in food. I just didn't want to come off like I was unappreciative. And thanks to regaining my control over eating clean for over a month, and having a colleague who's gluten intolerant (and is a bold woman in my book to not be afraid to always ask), I spoke up and asked the lead hostess what was in the meats. I'm so glad I did. Even though it was made with a glaze and there may have been a "trace of sugar" in the mixture, I smiled and said okay thank you and walked away--until I was given that puzzled look of confusion and asked, "You can't eat sugar?" I just smiled and shook my head and sat down with the rest of my colleagues to enjoy my salad topped with a fresh tomato salad (without sugar) and guacamole. 

The lesson I learned from that was: be prepared with my own lunch and NEVER be afraid to ask--and be prepared with a more positive response, even if it means the answer is still no, even if there's a "trace" of sugar and I don't want it.

Exercise...

I'm a teacher that stands on her feet and walks from one side of the building to the other constantly. I'm not ADHD, but I can't stand still and teach all the time either. So when I come home, I'm done. I tried exercising in the morning, but that's like asking my brain to think about linear equations at 5am--that doesn't happen well. 

Goals...

1. Keep trying new Whole30 approved foods that won't make me feel bored and stale. 

2. Give myself props for not caring what others think of me saying "no thanks" or just not partaking in their party food.

3. Exercise at least 20 minutes a day every day.

4. Don't step on the scale.

5. Use the tape measure once a week.

6. Dig out that dress to wear for S's graduation and try it on. S is my oldest daughter who's graduating from high school in a few weeks. Yes, I'm in denial. Yes, it's hard to see my baby grow up so fast. 

Today I feel....

Awake, and yet, just plain done. I'm done teaching for the school year mentally, but realistically, there's 4 weeks left to go--but only 3 weeks left to teach curriculum. It's not only me that's checked out, but a lot of my students are feeling it too. We're in the middle of state testing--it happens. I'm ready for sunshine, warm weather, and wearing clothing that doesn't require ironing and thought process. Give me jeans and a t-shirt with flip flops already!

Food...

Okay, here's the deal. I'm confuddled about coconut flour. I found coconut flour at our bulk store and bought a 8 ounces to see how it works. I'm adventurous like that. But then I'm reading deeper into coconut and Whole30 in posts by people who had the same question I did--but for me it wasn't until after I already made and consumed 3 of the 12 of my banana, egg, 2 tbl of coconut flour  combination "mini-pancakes" this morning---and you know what? There were posts about how you shouldn't eat coconut flour on Whole30 because it's just not part of the daily diet but nothing to state chemically what happens. I got schooled and I'm not afraid to say it. :)

And for the record of my journal, I'm just parking my thoughts here so I can remind myself later--not for starting WWIII. I do know that gluten is like sugar and turns into fat. Coconut flour, not so much. Or at least I can't find anything anywhere that says eating coconut will cause you to gain weight and or anything else. I get that people following Whole30 need to be purist. I guess I'm just a bumbling fool trying to get there by learning along the way.

But don't worry---you were getting worried weren't you? I'm not making any more pancakes for me--but I will make them for Prince Charming because he has high numbers that need to come down and it's a win-win if he's willing to eat those instead of the real thing. Did I feel like I could jump into a stack of flap jacks from IHop? Nope. As a matter of fact, I had to eat an apple to get rid of the taste. 

Seriously, I think I'll need to really work on aquiring that taste if I so dare want to try it again....later on in my journey.

Until now.....give me my chicken, veggies, and fruit! Along with my coffee and water and occasional tea. :)

Exercise what.....

Does cleaning the house count as exercise? Along with going grocery shopping for this family AND unloading it AND putting it all away...and then wrangling the youngest puppy into the car to get him to the vet for his last puppy shots? 

Hubby's actually waiting for me to finish my "10 minute smoke break" (I don't smoke, it's a joke) from cleaning this morning (it's a vicious cycle) so we can go on our morning walk with the puppies.

Mini goal for today...

Find 3 things I like about me.

1. I like my glasses...they're new and they're fun to accessorize with.

2. I like that my stomach's flatter....flabby skin, but deflated.

3. My hair's getting longer...but so is the gray---I'm making an appointment for a new style when school's out.

Off to walk the puppies.

Okay, here's the deal. I'm confuddled about coconut flour. I found coconut flour at our bulk store and bought a 8 ounces to see how it works. I'm adventurous like that. But then I'm reading deeper into coconut and Whole30 in posts by people who had the same question I did--but for me it wasn't until after I already made and consumed 3 of the 12 of my banana, egg, 2 tbl of coconut flour  combination "mini-pancakes" this morning---and you know what? There were posts about how you shouldn't eat coconut flour on Whole30 because it's just not part of the daily diet but nothing to state chemically what happens. I got schooled and I'm not afraid to say it. :)

Here's the official scoop on coconut flour and pancakes on a Whole30:  Coconut flour is ok on a Whole30, only if used as a thickener in a soup/stew, as a binder in meatballs, or in place of "breading" meat or fish.  It's not ok to use it in baking or in pancakes. (More details in the Whole30 Can I Have Guide). Pancakes are explicitly called out as a no-no in the rules, under no Paleo-ifying baked goods, desserts or junk foods.  So your decision to no longer have pancakes on a Whole30 is right on!  :) 

p.s. I like your mini-goal.

Chris, thanks for you plethora of information on coconut flour....and the excellent link I forgot about. Yes, I actually read that link before because I was like what the heck kind of diet is this? 50 shades of Paleo gray?!  (Sex with your pants one! You're killing me, smalls! :rolleyes: ) My teacher brain and analytical process is on overload, so reading "context-dependent" made me think like this: using coconut or any "nongluten" type of flour depends on how you use it, but just don't eat it like cake or bread based type stuff. Flavor not the meal or treat. Got it. (And avoiding it  all together is okay too.)

And thanks...we all need mini goals. :)

For my future reference....

"Almond Flour: Yes

Yes, you can have almond flour, coconut flour, tapioca flour, and other non-grain-based flours, but it's context-dependent. You can use it in place of breadcrumbs in your meatballs, to dredge a piece of chicken, or to thicken a sauce or stew.  You may not use it for Paleo baking—to make muffins, pancakes, bread, cupcakes, cookies, waffles, biscuits, tortillas, pizza crust, or anything of that nature. We call those recipes Sex With Your Pants On (SWYPO) foods, and they are expressly off-limits during your Whole30."

Exercise..

We left the puppies at home. Instead, I took Prince Charming for a 3 mile walk.  :lol:  And then our graduating daughter went on her official first day with a new beau. He's going in the Marines in July and comes complete with manners--shake the father's hand, call mom "ma'am", asks when we'd like her home, respects younger sister, opens her door to the truck, etc. Like PC said to him, "Son, curfew's at 11pm in this town, my daughter leaves wherever she's at then, and says good night to you at the door, and church starts at 11am. We'll be happy to see you at both doors." 

Do you ever wake up and ask, "What day is it?" when you're following Whole30?

I mean, I can tell you that tomorrow will be my 6-week anniversary on Whole30. I like to refer to each week as an anniversary right now because sometimes you just gotta make the tough times more funner. (Yeah, I said it.) But I can't tell you what day exactly I'm on off the top of my head. 

Now, if you asked me what day I was on 2 weeks ago, you bet I could tell you the days, hours, etc. down to the minute--if I thought hard enough. 

Is it really getting this easy? Is this way of eating become a habit?

Breakfast this week has been...

3 scrambled eggs with black coffee OR

3 scrambled eggs with sauted mushrooms and black coffee OR

2 scrambled eggs weft over sweet potato hash--pork sausage without fillers or MSG cooked with onions, peppers, and diced sweet potatoes

Lunch has been...

Left over meats with salads

Fruit salad (homemade) 

Lettuce roll ups with chicken or ground beef

gucamole with everything

homemade salad dressing with olive oil and red wine vinegar without sugar and any spices that sound good--salt, pepper, garlic, etc.

Dinner...

Pretty much the same thing as lunch but the first round of meats, and not left overs. 

Whole chickens baked

grilled chicken

grilled burgers

mushroom burgers

Fruit with every meal---I usually have either apples or bananas, but we (the family included) had pineapple--hence the fruit salad. 

Oh oh oh....and, drum roll.....dddddddddddddddddd

I walked 3 miles plus went grocery shopping for an hour yesterday---and that was after working all day.

I walked 3 miles today---refused to think about going grocery shopping for the things that I forgot because, who remembers everything on the list of a day like that?---and it was after working all day too.

I'd like to say the energy to go came from the amazing food and just feeling fantastic! But the truth is, the sun has been shining, it's been over 70 degrees, tomorrow's supposed to be about 80 something, and then we're heading back down into the 60s. So, it's my love of being outside that's calling my name!

I'm a summer child---born in the fall and hate the winter. 

14 school days left...and 100 things to do!

Mini goal for this weekend....

1. Keep walking every day or doing exercise---something's better than nothing and I don't have to compete with what I've already done.

2. Keep drinking water---that's my issue over the weekends. I can drink, drink, drink during the week, but just get lazy over the weekend.

3. I didn't try on that black dress yet--I'm guessing I just chickened out. Or I just forgot. I really haven't had time to just think.

4. Finish watching Walking Dead because if I don't, Netflix will just delete that one too! Dang Netflix messing with the shows they get me hooked on!

I have had that problem with drinking water too.  On work days I have a routine for the most part and it includes filling my glass every hour or so which helps me walk around and stretch a bit.  But my weekends are not so set and I forget to drink enough water which is an issue since I sometimes wake up with leg cramps when I don't get enough water.

• 2 weeks later...

Mangio....drinking water and getting enough in is really an issue, right?! I hate plain water.

Time really does fly...but I'm not sure if I was having fun or not. (Time flies when you're having fun....)

It's been a class-A    P.I.T.A  (pain in the @##) type of few weeks. 

The good thing is....I'm holding on to whole 30, coveting it like a toddlers' security blankie. 

Although me and sweet potatoes, we go together like "peas and carrots"....and probably too comfortable together.

Today's meals......

Breakfast:

Sweet potato hash left over with 2 scrambled eggs, and an apple, and black coffee...

Lunch:

2 chicken thighs with skin (that's how I roll) and hot sauce on a bed of green salad and water, a banana...

Dinner...

Sweet potato hash (new) with sliced beef roast that I cooked on our smoker for 2 1/2 hours. Let me just say, it was AWESOME!

Exercise...

A mile walk with dogs and cleaned 1/2 the house...I plan on doing the other half tomorrow.

Mini goals...

1. Wear that black dress for graduating daughter's graduation in a week.

2. Survive this week with 101 things to do.

3. Keep drinking water.

Archived