NomNomPaleo got me started on this

milbran220

Hello all,

I'm just starting my Whole30 today (prepared all weekend).  My boyfriend has graciously decided to join me (he's 100% supportive on pretty much anything health related but still surprising he'd give up his staple foods of granola & yogurt, breakfast cereal, his bean/cheese/rice/sourcream dish).  He is such a creature of habit!

We are both pretty healthy to begin with.  We are active (him a little bit moreso than me), take lots of walks, regularly work out at the gym.  We don't drink soda or eat candy, no desserts (for the most part... stuff is too sugary for us most of the time), and tend to stay away from fast food and fried anything (weakness for non-breaded wings though).

Last night we were laughing a little bit at our "totally non-compliant Whole30 meal of tofu vegetable fajitas" and thinking about the 30-day journey we are about to embark upon.

I came across Whole30 through NomNomPaleo.  Her book just kind of grabbed my attention in the bookstore, so I checked out a few recipes on her website.  Ethiopean Chicken was first up... introduction to Ghee and cauliflower rice... and I think we became hooked... the flavors!!!... the totally guilt free "rice"!  Amazing!  It soon became aparent that I was going to have to buy her book and web app.

So we've been dabbling in paleo for the last month and I decided that I wanted to try taking the "plunge" to Whole30.  Thankfully I feel like I already have a good "base" to work on.  The hardest part will be meals with other people.  I occasionally will spend the whole day with my gaming crew and they pretty much are the OPPOSITE of Whole30.  HAHAHAHA... but at least they are getting used to the idea of me bringing my own food and something "weird" to share.

Today's work food (I sit at a desk most of the day... QQ)

Carrots

Apple

Banana

Madras Chicken Salad

NomNomPaleo's trail mix  (nuts, coconut, dried pinneapple... all from Outpost Natural Foods with no sugar added)

Nice to "meet" you all!

~Lindsay (and Mike)

Hi, Lindsay (and Mike)!

I'm pretty much new to Paleo as well as Whole30, but I'm really excited about it. I eat pretty healthy too, but I have my vices and tend to go all-in when I indulge in them. I'm hoping this process will help me clean out and break those bad habits. I've been exercising again as I work to get my health & weight under control from my last pregnancy (now 2.5 yrs ago!), but I haven't done as much as I'd like while juggling 2 jobs. The 2nd job came to an end just as my Whole30 started, so I'm hoping to get a nice, set workout schedule back in and make it out to the gym at least once a week (it's an hour away).

What kind of gaming are you into? I only do D&D anymore (and one written rpg), and I had to teach my kids so I could have someone to play with after we moved states. :)

Hi milbran22,

are you playing or developing? I'm working in a small team now. Most days our PM has 2 hotdogs for breakfast. I can stand that, but one dayvof our employees brought a gigantic cheese pastry bun, it was torture lol.

Hi!

Well it's the beginning of day 3 and I went to the gym yesterday to spin and today to do some weights and lunges (legs are feeling a little wobbly now lol!)

My gaming group switches from D&D (3.5), Hackmaster (kind of like D&D), and what they call "normal" gaming which are games like Shadows Over Camelot, Pandemic, Settlers of Catan... those big epic board games that take an hour to go over the rules, 3 hrs to play... at which you realize 3/4 of the way through that you were interpreting a rule all wrong.

Ahavah... how old are your kids?  How often do you play?

Daiquiry... a typical "meal" at gaming:  cheese, onion dip, bacon dip, potato chips (2-3 different kinds), pretzels.  For "lunch": Taquitos (frozen) with sour cream and salsa or frozen pizza piled high with extra cheese.  There is literally no green vegetables in that house... ever.   (iceberg lettuce doesn't count in my opinion... especially when only used as a condiment).  But you couldn't meet nicer people and they are a blast to play with.

Thankfully my coworkers don't bring in food to share.  They are a more serious bunch lol.

Welcome to the Whole30! I kind of married myself into the gamer community. My husband brought a huge collection of RPG books into the relationship. ;) We host a pathfinder game about every other week and I usually just offer to cook for everyone so I know that there is compliant food available. People are welcome to bring what they like and I just don't eat it. It for sure is easier when I'm not doing a W30 and can ride my own bike a little but it is doable. I just so happened to plan my 2nd Whole30 during the time we are taking a break because my husband is in mega E3 prep mode at work.

Feeling a little extra fatigue after exercise is entirely normal during the first 2 weeks of your W30. Make sure you are getting starchy vegetables on those days to refuel your glycogen stores but make sure you don't have them immediately before you workouts as they can encourage your bodies dependence on using quick carbs for fuel.

A quick question on your first post. Was that food list consumed as a single meal or more of a graze all day? 

A quick question on your first post. Was that food list consumed as a single meal or more of a graze all day? 

Totally laughed out loud when I read this.   I brought all of that to work to have options for lunch and a healthy option if I had to work late.  We have a fridge so I was stocking up on healthy things to have over multiple days.

All of my D&D books are old. Maybe 2nd edition? We don't play regularly anymore, just whenever we can fit a game in and feel like it. I hope to start playing more now that my 2nd job has come to an end. My girls are 11, 8, and 2. Sometimes we can talk my husband into playing, but usually I have to play his character. I've been told that they'd really enjoy Settlers of Catan, so I'm going to have to try to find that one!

Archived