What is the Carb Curve?

SunnyKj

You'll find the carb curve graphic on p.244 in the book, as part of the "Fine Tuning for Special Populations" chapter. It's a curve for high-intensity exercisers, that you use to determine whether and how much carbs to have in your post-workout fuel.

• Moderators

Right, the idea is to eat more carbs in the form of starchy veggies if you are very active and eat less if you are not very active. So, a person who is exercising 5-10 hours per week might need to eat at least one sweet potato (or equivalent) per day and maybe two, while a person who does Iyengar yoga three times per week might only need to eat starchy veggies a few times per week.

Most people feel better when they eat some starchy veggies. 

Hi. I am new to the group. If I am only walking in the morning and the evening is it still okay for me to have half a sweet potato in the morning with my cabbage and compliant chicken apple sausage topped with coconut meat? Or should it be reduced to a fourth of a sweet potato? I know the carb curb doesn't apply to me per the graphic in the book. I just want to make sure I am not eating too much as it feels that way sometimes. Thanks :)

I don't do much formal exercise.  I tend my yard and garden and lug heavy feed sacks at work.  Even without much exercise I have always eaten a half to a whole sweet potato a day, sometimes more.  Listen to your body.  For no apparent reason, some days you will want more and some you will want less.  We have conditioned ourselves to eat to a 'diet' with rigid guidelines.  Go with the flow.  If you aren't full until the next mealtime, eat a bit more.  If you are feeling stuffed, cut back.  I have always eaten on the high end of the spectrum of protein, fat, and starchy veggies and still have lost weight on every W30.  A lot of this is relearning how to listen to your body instead of the 'junk food devil' whispering in your ear.  Let us know how it goes.

Archived