Incorporating fat

One thing I'm trying to do is eat the right amount of fat. I know it shows on the meal planning template how much to include in each meal, but does that mean added to each meal on top of the cooking fat and fat already in the foods? For example bacon generally has a lot of fat, so does that count towards the fat amount in the meal, or do I still need to add some?

• Moderators

It depends.

Cooking fat is often left at the bottom of a skillet or pan, so doesn't add much to your meal. When that is the case, you need to consider other ways to consume some fat with your meal. If the food itself is fatty, that is good. If it is not, you may need to add some olives or avocado or some mayonnaise. 

You don't have to have a perfect amount of fat with each meal, but make sure you get some, one way or another.

I don't worry about fat, I just make sure I don't shy away from it. I don't make sure I have half an avocado with every meal, but I add it if I think it would be tasty with the meal (love diced avo on salads) I use fatty cuts of quality meat, and eat the skin on chicken, and add plenty of fat while cooking. When I make my breakfast skillet, I put about 1 tbs. coconut oil in the skillet, and I don't really see any left in the skillet when it's done, so I'm sure most of it makes it into the food (probably absorbed by the sweet potatoes) and I use pastured ground pork that I make into sausage, which has lots of fat in it too. I dress all my veggies in fats too, use lots of olive or avocado oil in salad dressings, and I even add bacon grease or lard to burgers before I grill them!

Archived