Spartan Race Training

littleg

• Whole30 Certified Coach

I almost hijacked the half IM thread but decided to start my own :)

I'm training for the Spartan Beast in early September - a 13-15 mile obstacle race at Killington, VT.  My husband has done it the last two years and it keeps getting harder... 25+ obstacles, 13+ miles and likely 5000+ vertical gain.  Years ago - pre-paleo - I did a half ironman race in 5:40 - so good, but not great - and after the 4.5 mile Spartan race I did today I think the Beast will be significantly harder than my half IM.  The continuous strength components - 8 ft wall climbs, 15 ft rope climbs, rope traverses, log carries, 60 lb sandbag carries... definitely harder for me than a sustained aerobic effort.  And I don't have a clue how to fuel for it.  I was hoping there were some endurance junkies on here who could give me some tips!

I can't really help you with fueling but I will say that I did the Beast in Texas two years ago as my first Spartan. I had done 2 half Ironman races before that. I went with 3 friends all of which had completed at least 2 full ironmans. The beast tore us up. It was so much fun but we were so exhausted and sore afterwards. It didn't help that none of us really transitioned to strength training after the 70.3 3 months early. 

It will be so much fun but it is demoralizing how out of shape you can feel when you switch up your routine. Good luck!

P.S. I don't know how long you have been doing this but don't start a whole30 soon before the race. Give your body time to adjust to fat burning. It took me til day 22 of my first whole30 to feel good during a workout. 

• Whole30 Certified Coach

I do crossfit and failed only the spear throw this weekend. I'm confident in my ability for the race but not sure how to handle the fact I'll be out there 6-8 hours. Pretzels and snickers were my half IM fuel...

Archived