Jessie Gets Whole - starting tomorrow 19 June

jessiegetswhole

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You should start a blog with all of your beautiful plates of food! You're doing good, keep it up! I am on Day 5.

Thanks so much @Dewdrop75! I have started a Tumblr, just posting food pics and recipe links, after urgings from friends on Instagram: http://jessieeatsgoodfood.tumblr.com/

Day 10: done whoooo

Meal 1

8:30am

Scrambled eggs on spinach with half an avocado 

Snack

12:00pm

Apricot and cashews

Meal 2

2:30pm 

Herb crusted salmon, sautéed greens and sweet potato, mushroom and tomato, carrot, olives, radish

I was late getting lunch as we were out and about today - at Belton House (see pic). As I have a friend staying with me, who's vegetarian, that all added to the mix of making today slightly stressful, as I made sure she had some veg protein options. Had some sugar/snack cravings as I navigated a busy afternoon of preparing dinner - the meatballs seemed to take quite some time to put together. Great to have most of them leftover for future snacks and meals.

Meal 3

7:00pm

Bora Bora Fireballs with Sunshine Sauce, sweet potato, cauli rice, cucumber, beetroot

+ cleanse tea

I'm pleased I finally made the Sunshine Sauce - delicious! Lots leftover so I'm looking forward to finding new uses.

14527541942_f5890a99b3_o_d.jpg

Overall I found today a bit trying, mostly I think because I have a friend staying with me - meaning I want to ensure she is comfortable and catered for, but also stick to the plan and spend some time prepping for the coming days. Tomorrow I will try to be a bit more organised and just do a salad and maybe brine some chicken since I keep hearing about how great that is.

Should mention that I'm using the daily email service, and not relying on it quite so much as I find my feet. Definitely worth while, though, and I'm sure it will continue to be as I creep forward into the next third of the 30.

Day 11: done.

Snack
6:30am
Meatball and almonds

Meal 1
Cinnamon beef stew on spinach with strawberries. Wow! The stew was really good with strawberries.

+ earl grey tea, coconut milk

Snack

Caramelised coconut chips

These were a little too tasty so I put them away to use as an ingredient, perhaps as a salad topping.

Meal 2
2:30pm
Bora Bora Fireballs, Belly Dance Beet Salad, beet tops, carrots, sauerkraut, olives, Sunshine Sauce
+ plum

Snack
6:30pm
Meatball, almonds, grapes

+ chamomile tea

Meal 3
8:15pm
Brined chicken with Moroccan spice blend and dipping oil, sautéed greens and sweet potato, green salad, tomato and radish
+ plum

14535632834_34c91b952b_o_d.jpg

Reviewing this now, a lot of snacks today! I was in the kitchen for much of the day, yet mealtimes were a little out of whack, so I guess that's how that happened. I'll look to reduce snacks tomorrow by regulating my mealtimes to more like 4-5 hours apart. 

For some reason I'm starting to feel a little cynical, although I'm planning to stick with it. I think I just spent way too much time in the kitchen this weekend! Upside is I now have leftovers to last a lifetime, more or less.. once I hit day day 18, I'm going to be travelling, so it's good to get all this kitchen time in now.

Day 12: complete

Snack

Meatball, cashews

Meal 1
Meatballs, sauteed greens and sweet potato, celery, beetroot
+ apricot
+ earl grey tea with coconut milk

Meal 2
1:10pm
Moroccan spiced chicken, roast pumpkin, green salad, almonds and cashews 
+ plum

Meal 3
6:30pm
Cinnamon beef stew, strawberry bruschetta on spinach with roasted carrots 

+ two or three cashews and a miniscule amount of coconut chips
+ peppermint and liquorice tea

Can't recommend the strawberry bruschetta enough. So good!

14543886332_221acdc560_o_d.jpg

I'm kind of wondering if my meals are too big. I think I might be enjoying my food too much! (Oh.. and I didn't eat George.)

I was just looking at your pics and wondering how George tasted  ;)  What a handsome young man!  

Your meals look great!  The only time you need to worry about your meals being too big is if you are walking away from your meal feeling overstuffed.  If you feel satisfied after eating and can go 4-5 hours before the next meal, then you are doing great.  Remember that things like lettuce, once broken down take up much less volume so they don't take up as much room as on your plate (think about how greens cook down from 6 cups to barely 1....).

Your meal pics are great! Where is this scotch egg recipe? I love scotch eggs-just didn't think there would be whole30. 

As for meal size-I am definitely eating more than you are-but I eat large portions to begin with. Like kmlynne said-unless you are overstuffed and feel uncomfortable you are probably about right. 

Your meal pics are great! Where is this scotch egg recipe? I love scotch eggs-just didn't think there would be whole30. 

Thanks abarbs! Here's the Scotch egg recipe. They are so good. I rolled mine in shredded coconut instead of pork rinds - definitely recommend that unless you're a particular fan of rinds!

I was just looking at your pics and wondering how George tasted  ;)  What a handsome young man!  

Your meals look great!  The only time you need to worry about your meals being too big is if you are walking away from your meal feeling overstuffed.  If you feel satisfied after eating and can go 4-5 hours before the next meal, then you are doing great.  Remember that things like lettuce, once broken down take up much less volume so they don't take up as much room as on your plate (think about how greens cook down from 6 cups to barely 1....).

Thanks Kmlynne - got it. 

Day 13: done

Snack

Meatball, cashews, coconut chips

Meal 1
Poached eggs on spinach with strawberry bruschetta
Clementine and cashew butter

Cashew butter is soooo tasty. Seriously. How did I never know this existed??

Meal 2
1:00pm
Cinnamon beef stew, cauli mash, roast sweet potato, belly dance beet salad, carrot

Ok, so this meal was definitely veering towards too big. On the plus side, there was no way I was going to need any snacks and I resolved to have a less full-on dinner!

Meal 3
6:45pm
Moroccan chicken, mushrooms, zucchini salad, radishes, sauerkraut
+ half orange
+ cleanse tea

14572728853_c672ce2f4a_o_d.jpg

Having made a few big meals over the weekend, I'm now nearing the end of what I kept in the fridge (still some in the freezer though). This is both a relief - something different! - and a drag - more cooking required. Tomorrow I'm going to cook up some ground beef to see me through a few variations. I love how versatile it is.

So this is (just about) two weeks in, and I think I've been really lucky in that I haven't yet had to negotiate a restaurant menu. If I was in London, like I usually am, that would be unheard of. But for the time being I'm in a rural area of Lincolnshire, UK, and I'm in sole charge of my belly :)

Day 14 done  :)

Snack
6:20am
Meatball, cashews, coconut chips

Meal 1
8:40am
"Morning mix" from ISWF, broccoli, roast red pepper

+ early grey with coconut milk

Meal 2
1:35pm
Fiesta Tuna salad + sautéed greens, and sweet potato, celery, yellow pepper + sunshine sauce

I made a version of the tuna salad on day 1, but this was a vast improvement: namely because I'd gotten the mayo right this time. On day 1, I misread the recipe, and left out 1 whole cup of olive oil! Wondered why it tasted so salty.. hahaha. 

Snack

Cashews

Meal 3

8pm
Bora Bora Fireballs + herb "rice" salad, roast pumpkin + pesto, radishes

14373549339_987435f8bf_o_d.jpg

Reviewing the timeline, I'm definitely feeling a bit buzzy with energy.. definitely not tired or lethargic. And definitely feeling proud of myself and excited about all these new recipes.

Day 12: complete

14543886332_221acdc560_o_d.jpg

I'm kind of wondering if my meals are too big. I think I might be enjoying my food too much! (Oh.. and I didn't eat George.)

Glad you didn't eat George! He is beautiful, love his curls! Your meals are such an inspiration. Love how you make them look so pretty!

Glad you didn't eat George! He is beautiful, love his curls! Your meals are such an inspiration. Love how you make them look so pretty!

Haha thank you Dewdrop75. George does indeed have lovely curls. He looks a bit diminished, all curled up on the sofa like that. And I'm lucky to have the time and space to create my meals.. I've been house-sitting in a rural area for a few weeks. I leave on Monday to stay with a friend for a few days, and I think things will get a little more challenging then.

Day 15: halfway there!

Snack

6:30
hard-boiled egg, cashews, coconut chips

Meal 1
Meatballs with avocado dressing (from ISWF) sauteed greens and sweet potato, almonds

Meal 2
12:30pm
Marinated chicken, herb "rice salad", broccoli, roast carrot and pesto

I had a stressful afternoon, and the idea occurred to me of what I could eat to cheer myself up. But I didn't go far down that train of thought, although I did make myself a cup of chamomile tea.

Meal 3
Ginger, garlic and onion crusted turkey (adapted from this recipe), roast pumpkin, mushroom, zucchini

14380472990_4ddfe3d7d9_o_d.jpg

And through the last window we see ye olde graffiti from Tattershall Castle, which I popped in in to visit yesterday afternoon.

Day 16: done

Snack
Hard-boiled egg, cashews, coconut chips

Meal 1
8am
"Morning mix" ground beef with apple, greens, celery, avocado dressing

Meal 2
1:05pm
Turkey with sweet potato, broccoli, zucchini, mushrooms, roast red pepper, sauerkraut, pesto

Meal 3
6:50pm
Moroccan spiced chicken on cauli mash with gravy (really quite unphotogenic, I note regretfully), roast butternut squash, salad

+ apricot

+ cleanse tea

14594520913_37f08fe583_o_d.jpg

Oh and Lincoln Cathedral, which I visited today.

Day 17 done

Snack
Turkey + cashews, coconut chips

Meal 1
8:40am
Cashew ground beef (from ISWF), greens

Meal 2
11:55am
Turkey, broccoli, green pepper, salad, roast red pepper, sauerkraut 

Snack

4pm

Caramelised coconut chips and cashews

Meal 3
Moroccan spiced chicken with oil, strawberry bruschetta on spinach, herb "rice" salad, roast butternut squash and carrots, celery, dreamy avocado dressing from ISWF

+ peppermint and licquorice tea

14579224124_da94bd3fac_o_d.jpg

Sweet Memories sweet shop in Woodhall Spa.. taken from across the road. Didn't want to get any closer!

Day 18, in the bag

Snack
Hard-boiled egg, cashews

Meal 1
Poached eggs on spinach with half an avocado
+ peppermint & liquorice tea
+ earl grey with coconut milk

Snack
10:30am
Cabbage chips

This was an extra and possibly unnecessary snack, as I experimented with making cabbage chips. They were good though!

Meal 2
1:30pm
Meatballs, greens, butternut squash, herb "rice" salad, strawberry bruschetta, tomato, half avocado

Meal 3
6:40pm
Chocolate chili, roast sweet potato and carrots, cabbage, strawberry & tomato bruschetta
+ raspberries and coconut milk

14589238232_a960566966_o_d.jpg

Just before my evening meal, I picked about a cup of raspberries, although I fear many went straight into my mouth. I think I could feel the sugar.. it wasn't a comfortable feeling!

Also, earlier today I was cooking halloumi for a friend, and in an absent moment, I popped a sliver into my mouth.. then immediately scraped it out again! 

I can't believe we are more than halfway done! (At least you are since I started over, just need to get today over with). Congrats on day 18 done. I haven't made a whole 30 to day 14, so I am pretty happy right now. But, I am thinking "wow, how was I not able to get here before???"

Day 19: done

I was really tired the night before last, then didn't sleep well - woke with a headache that forced me out of bed in search of painkillers. I thought it was a tension headache but the thought occurred to me midafternoon that it maybe it a reaction to eating strawberries in two meals yesterday, as well as a lot of raspberries. Am I having a sugar crash?! That sounds like an undesirable event for day 19. Then again, it is nearly 2 months since I had a massage, and sometimes the tension in my neck and shoulders requires me to have them weekly or fortnightly - and I have definitely noticed tension in my right shoulder particularly especially of late. I am always the last to notice..!

Meal 1
7:10am
"Morning mix" ground beef with apple, butternut squash, greens, half avocado

Snack
Hard-boiled egg and cashews

I was very tired and lay on the sofa for a while before lunch.

Meal 2
1:20pm
Meatballs, greens, sweet potato, herb "rice" salad, red and yellow peppers, mayo

Meal 3
7:15pm
Simple tuna and avocado salad, mushrooms and tomatoes

14599844995_a67118c333_o_d.jpg

Shattered, crawled into bed at 8pm with a thumping headache :(

Extra challenge for me this week: I had planned to be staying with a friend here in Manchester, but that's fallen through, so I spent last night in a youth hostel.. and am now hoping to sort out an airbnb for the next 3 nights. Limited kitchen facilities makes the whole30 a tricky prospect! I'll get there though..

Day 20 done - two thirds complete!

So I woke up in a YHA backpacker hostel. The limited and oh-so-shared facilities brought home to me just how lucky I have been lately. I'm now installed in a wonderfully welcoming and comfortable airbnb home elsewhere in Manchester, and much happier.

Snack
6:45am

Hard-boiled egg, cashews

Meal 1
Scrambled eggs on spinach with half an avocado

Meal 2
1:45pm
Mackerel on spinach with sweet potato, roast carrots and tomato
+ carrot and cashew butter
+ cleanse tea

Snack
7pm
Coconut chips, cashews

Meal 3
8:15pm
Ground chicken with sundried tomatoes and olives, broccoli, sweet potato, capsicum

14605089724_edfa060e6f_o_d.jpg

I don't think I've ever eaten ground chicken before.

I struggled a lot today, not with food, but with lack of energy. Really lethargic and sleepy. This is often how I feel when I have a tension headache - I think it's on its last legs though. Then perhaps I'll get a taste of this fabled tiger blood?!

Day 21: done

Slept like a log.. lovely. Up at 5:30am.

Snack

6:10am
Hard boiled egg, coconut chips, cashews

Meal 1
8:35am
Ground chicken with apple, spinach and carrot
+ cashews and coconut chips

+ fresh mint tea

Meal 2
1pm
Smoked salmon with salad, walnuts and seeds

Snack
4pm
Coconut chips, cashews, hardboiled egg, dried apricot, yellow plum

I had a nap after this - was feeling so tired and still got a dull headache. I've seen on the forums that it's not unheard of to have headaches at just about any point of the 30 days.. *not* what I was hoping for! 

Meal 3
7:50pm
Lemon and garlic scallops on asparagus, sweet potato, mushrooms, tomatoes, beetroot
+ kiwifruit
+ chamomile tea

14614799845_cec36fda74_o_d.jpg

Feels like I feel a bit better immediately after eating, but after a while the lethargy and sluggishness kicks in and the tension is mostly at the bride of my nose. Need a massage.. that might sort me out!

Days 22 and 23: done. 

22: 

Snack

7am
Hardboiled egg, coconut chips, cashews

Meal 1
Ground chicken with sundried tomatoes and olives, asparagus, peppers, broccoli

Snack
12:15pm
Coconut chips, cashews, plums, dried apricot

I had a massage after this, and it was pretty excruciating. Hopefully will do some good over the coming days to knock this headache.

Meal 2
2:45pm
Swordfish, spinach, sweet potato, tomato
+ chamomile tea

Meal 3
9:30pm
Hardboiled eggs, dried apricots, yellow plums, coconut chips, cashews

14600075406_64ba979a0d_o_d.jpg

23: 

Snack

7am
Hardboiled egg, coconut chips, cashews, dried apricot

Meal 1
Scrambled eggs on spinach, half avocado, mushrooms

Meal 2
1pm
Meatballs, raw veg, half avocado

I arrived at a yoga retreat yesterday afternoon. It's all vegetarian food - and so far, completely non-compliant. Luckily I chopped and cooked feverishly all yesterday morning and have brought in sufficient supplies - I think! There will be some repetition.

Meal 3
6pm
Chicken skewer, marinated veg salad

14633370925_4de723e4aa_o_d.jpg

Still no tiger blood. But after 7 days, I think my headache is on the way out. Phew.

Days 24-27 done

I've been busy travelling, but sticking to the plan. One error: on day 25 I ate a serving of peas. I have to admit to being somewhat confused by the peas/ beans rules, and I messed up. However I've decided that this will not mean the whole experiment is wasted and I'm continuing with my head held high!

My headache finally dissolved on Saturday, and I've been feeling pretty good since then - not jumping out of my skin, but good :)

24:

Meal 1
7:15am
Pork and apricot meatballs, marinated veg salad

Meal 2
12:15pm
Greens, mixed veg, salad, marinated cashew chicken, carrots and cashew butter

Snack
5pm
Dried apricot, cashews
+ chamomile tea

Meal 3
7pm
Meatballs, marinated veg salad

14450877820_27f840f18c_o_d.jpg

25: 

Meal 1

7:00
Meatballs with tomato sauce, marinated veg salad

Meal 2
Greens, salsa, salad, PEASaaagh
Hardboiled eggs

Didn't realise/forgot that peas are a legume. Have decided I don't care.

Meal 3
Chili, lime and coriander chicken, marinated veg salad

14464874550_d69e6cc8d2_o_d.jpg

26:

Meal 1

7:20am
Meatballs and tomato sauce, marinated veg salad
+ lime and mint tea

Meal 2
salad, salsa, greens, chicken

Snack
6:15pm
Carrots and cashew butter

Meal 3
7:30pm
Chicken, marinated veg salad

14682723253_ef813d071b_o_d.jpg

27:

Snack

6:45am
Hardboiled egg, coconut chips, cashews

Meal 1
9:45am
Poached eggs on spinach, avocado, coconut chips, cashews
+ liquorice tea

Meal 2
3:10pm
Smoked mackerel on spinach, tomatoes, olives
+ cleanse tea

Meal 3
6:15pm
Meatballs, coconut chips, cashews, dried apricots, grapes grapes grapes

14667873165_a7f2c6d3bc_o_d.jpg

Hi Jessie,

Your food looks amazing! I've just started my whole30 but if I need meal inspiration I'll know where to find it...

Is it the Pukka mint and licorice tea that you drink? It's my staple afternoon drink at work now, love it!

Just out of interest, how did you work out the breakfast/meditation schedule in the end?

Hi Jessie,

Your food looks amazing! I've just started my whole30 but if I need meal inspiration I'll know where to find it...

Is it the Pukka mint and licorice tea that you drink? It's my staple afternoon drink at work now, love it!

Just out of interest, how did you work out the breakfast/meditation schedule in the end?

Thanks Ytu, that's kind :) yes the tea is the Pukka one - isn't it divine?! It's my favourite, although I quite like liquorice on its own too, which I think is Twinings.

As for the morning, mostly it went like this: I would get up pretty early, it was 5:30am for a while but now is a bit later. I'd do some morning chores - for a few weeks, I was dogsitting, so I would let the dogs out, feed the chickens etc, and then prepare a snack of protein + fat: usually a meatball, or a half or quarter Scotch egg, or a hardboiled egg, plus some nuts - cashews, almonds, or coconut chips (have you tried them? So good!). Then I'd go and sit for a half hour or whatever, and eat my snack at around half 6, and then do some other stuff like yoga, writing. I'd wind up eating breakfast around 8:30am. Worked just fine for me.

Archived