Jessie Gets Whole - starting tomorrow 19 June

jessiegetswhole

Ok starting in the spirit of honesty.. I made some pretty poor food choices for my evening meal as I cleaned out the pantry and fridge. 

That's all in the past now. However, that said, I think I'm going to be needing support. This girl has a serious sugar and carb binge habit. I'm going to pour out the last third of the open bottle of chardonnay now.

Here's my first Whole30 food shop. Roll on tomorrow! I'll keep this thread updated with my daily progress, as much as possible.

post-47137-0-95604600-1403125978_thumb.j

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 1 completed. 

Meal 1

Around 7:30am

Adapted Fiesta Tuna salad: no jalapeños, subbed cherry tomatoes, subbed chili flakes
+ peppermint and liquorice tea

10:55am starting to feel pangs of hunger
11:25am feeling a bit lightheaded - hungry! 

Meal 2

11:55am
Scrambled eggs on raw baby spinach + half an avocado 
+ red/green grapes and cashews

Feel better after lunch: clearer-headed.

+ cleanse tea

4:40pm starting to feel a bit foggy/light-headed again. Is this just how I usually feel..

Snacked on cashews and a carrot to tide me over while cooking.. then I realised I'd made the rookie error of not checking the recipe properly. I intended to make Chocolate Chili then saw it needs 2 hours' simmer time. I was not going to survive that long so I turned to my "go-to" meals - who knew I'd need them so soon! - and chose Emergency Protein.  

Meal 3

6:30pm

Chicken stir-fry with salad
+ liquorice tea

To avoid that situation happening today, I cooked the chili after I'd eaten, and also clarified some butter as I was running low. And I've just had a delivery of coconut aminos (and sauerkraut), which will open up some new recipe options.

14277865769_8be08926d0_z_d.jpg

I managed to stay up until 9:50pm, as the dogs' bedtime is 10pm - but I was struggling. I read through the Whole30 Timeline and saw that I had early onset "hangover". UGH. Felt terrible. No energy at all, foggy headache.

I didn't sleep too well, woke around 3am, back to sleep after 5 and up at 5:50am to get the dogs/ chickens up. Feeling much clearer today (day 2).

Day 2 completed yay!

Snack

Around 6:50am
Cashews and carrot

Meal 1

8:20am
Chocolate chili and salad

+ cranberry and blood orange tea

11:45am feeling a little lightheaded

Meal 2

12:40pm
Leftover chicken stir fry and salad

3:30pm feeling lightheaded and foggy, but still enough energy to run around a bit with the dogs, which I couldn't dream of last night.

Meal 3

6:45pm
Herb crusted salmon on spinach with salsa
+ apricot and pistachios

14467902175_57079d1b53_z_d.jpg

I found that I had pretty poor concentration this afternoon particularly - didn't get much work done. Hoping to catch up over the weekend, or at least hit the ground running by Monday. Feeling a bit foggy still and quite tired by now, but definitely not as bad as this time yesterday. I'm hoping that I get a bit more sleep tonight.. been waking way too early most of the week. 

try adding in a few carb heavy veg - like sweet potato.  It may help that light headed feeling.  Also, make sure you are getting enough fat... are you adding dressing to your salads (i.e. EVOO?)?  perhaps some avocado?

Welcome to w30!

Day 3.. done.

Thanks Karen, I have got some sweet potato, just haven't gotten around to prepping it yet.. there's definitely lots of olive oil salad dressings going on, mayo too. Thank you for the welcome too - really appreciate it!

Woke at 4:45am this morning - the longest day. Managed to stay in bed reading until 5:30 when the dogs became insistent that I get up.

Snack
5:45am 
Cashews and carrot

Meal 1
8:30am
Poached eggs on spinach with avocado
+ green mint tea

Meal 2
12:30pm
2 Scotch eggs
roasted tomatoes, olives and raw veg

+ clementine

Lost energy around 3pm, had a too-brief nap.

Meal 3
18:50pm
Chocolate chili wrapped in lettuce leaves with salad and sauerkraut
+ apple and pistachios
+ revitalise tea

14288305247_0b29b72466_z_d.jpg

By 7:30pm, I lost all energy and am now dragging myself through the next couple of hours.. the dogs don't go to bed until 10pm, so I can get them up at six. Feeling headachey, no energy, pretty much stuck to this armchair! Wishing it wasn't the longest day since I just want to go to bed!

I will see about adding some sweet potato to tomorrow's meals. And hopefully not kill all, or any, of the things.

Day 4: done.

Woke at 5:40am :) whoop - that will be my new "wake up" time as of tomorrow, as I'm taking part in the Zen Habits Sea Change Programme, and we're focusing on developing the "wake early" habit this month.

I still had a bit of a headache, and buildup of tension in my neck and shoulders - that's pretty standard, as I usually try to have a massage once a month at least, and I haven't had one for six weeks. I practise 15-30min yoga every morning and use the pomodoro technique to ensure lots of movement and breaks during my computer-based workdays.

Snack
6:50am

Activated almonds and clementine

In case anyone is curious, my morning routine involves waking early, practising meditation and yoga and writing for 1.5-2 hours before eating breakfast - which is why I'm adding a snack in here as I understand breakfast is supposed to happen within 1 hour of waking. Hopefully it's ok to 'hack' the plan in this way. Would someone please let me know if there's a downside, or if I ought to mix it up.

Meal 1
8:40am
1.5 Scotch eggs + sautéed greens, salad and roasted red peppers
+ peppermint and liquorice tea

Meal 2
12:55pm
Herb crusted salmon, roasted sweet potato, fried mushrooms and beetroot

A while after eating, I felt much better - assuming that's the effect of the sweet potato! I must have really been lacking the carb/starch element. Any hints on how else I can ensure I'm getting what I need, aside from sweet potato? Pumpkin?? Or how often it's ok to eat sweet potato?!

Snack: roasted sweet potato
+ cleanse tea

Meal 3
7:15pm
Damn fine chicken, sweet potato fries, sauerkraut, cucumber, roasted red pepper, olives, grapes
+ apricot and pistachios

14481691772_0c4bdb89ef_z_d.jpg

After the brain drain over the past few days, I really need to get some serious work done tomorrow. Hopefully the energy levels will maintain. Also, I'm really enjoying putting these meals together, but prep seem to be taking the bulk of my day, which probably isn't sustainable..!

I also journal and meditate in the morning. However I eat breakfast first. Would it be possible for you to try that routine?  My concern is you starting your day with fruit and fat that only satiates you for 2 hours, vs. a template-based meal that satiates you for 4-5 hours.  My feeling is the latter is better for your hormonal balance.

You had a big time gap between meal 2 and meal 3, so I understand the need for a snack.  The recommendation on a snack is to have a mini-meal containing at least a protein and fat.  So in the future, add a protein to that sweet potato (assuming you roasted it with a compliant fat).

To help having breakfast in the am instead of a snack, make it the night before:  boiled eggs, avocado, veg soup (pureed soups) - all light on your stomach for your meditation, but meets plan.

Starchy veg:  sweet potato, butternut squash, acorn squash, pumpkin, yams, beets, carrots

My concern is you starting your day with fruit and fat that only satiates you for 2 hours, vs. a template-based meal that satiates you for 4-5 hours.  My feeling is the latter is better for your hormonal balance.

I hear you, and thank you for the suggestion - however I am not all that keen to eat a standard sized meal so early, meaning I would need a snack to keep me going after breakfast until lunchtime. I'm having this first-thing snack at around 6:30am, after being up for around 1 hour.

If I change the configuration so it's protein + fat, that seems to tick the boxes. Eg this morning I had half a Scotch egg at 6:40am, followed by breakfast at 9am. The snack is not a substitue for breakfast, it's just my attempt to follow the suggestion to eat something within 1 hour of waking.

I'd say how often you want to incorporate starchy veggies is dependent on how active you are. Normally I plan out my week based on my workouts and be sure that I'm getting in the appropriate fuel for my workouts. However, this week I'm taking off from structured exercise so I'm reducing the amount of carby veggies a lot. I still have a few sweet potatoes around the house in case I'm feeling the drag, but not so focused on them.

In addition to:

sweet potato, butternut squash, acorn squash, pumpkin, yams, beets, carrots

I'd also recommend:

parsnips, spaghetti squash, plantains, taro

Thank you @gardnermer and @CaGirl - I'll be replenishing the cupboards in the next day or two so I'll keep those suggestions in mind. Although I think we have fewer varieties of "squash" in the UK! Really appreciate your support.

Day 5: done. 

I slept until my alarm at 5:40am! Whoop! Very happy about that. 

Snack
6:40am
1/4 Scotch egg
+ cleanse tea

Meal 1
9:00am
Chocolate chili with greens and sweet potato, cauli rice and fresh tomato

Meal 2
1:30pm
1.5 Scotch eggs, steam-charred chilli broccoli with pumpkin and sunflower seeds, sweet potato, carrot, cucumber, olives, sauerkraut

Meal 3
Damn fine chicken, herb "rice" salad, avocado, sweet potato added as a supplement after I'd finished, and realised I'd under-catered.
+ grapes and cashews

14490339464_4702fb4aa6_z_d.jpg

Since around noon I've noticed a weird sensation in my obliques - sort of a tickly numbness, on and off. It doesn't hurt, but I've never felt anything like it.. assuming it's food-related, although it may be some sort of ache from this morning's yoga practice. 

Day 6: completed yesterday - forums were down though so I couldn't update. Were they down for everybody? This has happened two or three times in my six days on the boards.

Snack

6:40am
1/4 Scotch egg

Meal 1
8:15am
"Morning mix" ground lamb with apple (mmm sweet apple) (from ISWF), cauli rice, carrot and cucumber
+ cleanse tea

Meal 2
12:45pm
1.5 Scotch eggs, sautéed greens + sweet potato, herb rice salad, tomatoes, avocado, sauerkraut

Snack
6pm
plum + almonds

That plum tasted so good! I am truly loving this development, getting so much more enjoyment from natural flavours. Mm fruit.

Meal 3
Baked salmon with almond pesto, sweet potato, mushrooms, tomato and salad

14499605505_8fb9e58805_z_d.jpg

I bought a load of veg from Aldi today. It's so cheap there! So now I have a couple of butternut squash to experiment with. I'm thinking these butternut squash fries look too good not to try. [Edit: just saw in today's daily email that sweet potato fries might create an unhealthy psychological response. I'm not too concerned, however I will limit these to once a week.]

Yesterday I felt pretty consistently good. I wondered whether my meals are too big - they seem enormous - but I don't feel awfully full afterwards, and they are mostly veg. Roll on day 7..

Squash fries are amazing! While not on a whole30, I've done this with zucchini, yellow squash, sweet potatoes and pumpkin.

With the zucchini and yellow squash I've rolled them in egg wash and almond meals with spices. Or with parm cheese and almond meal.

With the pumpkin and sweet potatoes I've rolled them in egg wash and almond meal with cinnamon assorted spices. So good. When I make them I have a hard time getting any of them saved and put away so for that reason I avoid making them on my whole30.

I think as long as you have a limit that you're willing to set and stick to with making the fries you're good.

I also love roasted butternut squash and brussels sprouts. Or you can find some awesome soup recipes for butternut squash as well.

Squash fries are amazing! While not on a whole30, I've done this with zucchini, yellow squash, sweet potatoes and pumpkin.

I also love roasted butternut squash and brussels sprouts. Or you can find some awesome soup recipes for butternut squash as well.

Thanks gardnermer!  Great suggestions :) I should have some time tomorrow to experiement with the butternut squash. Watch this space ;)

Day 7 done and dusted.

Snack

6:15am
1/4 Scotch egg

Meal 1
8:15am
Scrambled eggs on spinach with half an avocado

Meal 2
1:15pm
Ground lamb with Asian flavours (inspired by ISWF), herb "rice" salad, beetroot
+ plum and clementine
+ cranberry and blood orange tea

After eating the plum and clementine, I felt a craving for sugar stirring. That jarred a bit! I feel like I've been lucky to not have any particular cravings yet, going by the literature.

Meal 3
6:15pm
Damn fine chicken, roast sweet potatoes, pan-fried mushroom and tomatoes, sautéed greens and sauerkraut
+ cleanse tea

14321274777_638cdd2c9f_z_d.jpg

Feeling really good about making it this far. It's also been really inspirational to create interesting plates 3 (or 4) times a day.

Day 8: done

Woke at 5am to dogs barking.. urrgh. Felt like I needed more sleep but once I'm up, I'm up as far as the dogs are concerned! 

Snack
6:20am
1/4 Scotch egg

Meal 1
8:15
Tuna salad (adapted from this one), radish, cucumber, tomato
+ liquorice tea

Meal 2
12:35pm
Marinated chicken, herb "rice" salad (+ raspberries yum!), sautéed greens and sweet potato, carrot and sauerkraut 

This meal seemed enormous..but it was so tasty. It's a little early too so I'll try and get dinner sorted earlier this evening.

Around 3:30pm, I was feeling pretty drowsy so I had a 20 minute nap - and felt a lot better after, but not hugely engaged brain-wise.

Snack

Plum and cashews

Meal 3
Minced lamb with coriander, zucchini and capsicum, cauli rice, sweet potato and tomato

14514694625_327237703b_z.jpg

Tomorrow evening, I have a friend coming to visit me for the weekend. She's vegetarian, so while I can happily share my veg creations with her, I'm not sure how we will handle the protein aspect. I guess we'll buy her some halloumi, or something.. hopefully not too much of a difficult situation for us to navigate, and I guess something like this was bound to crop up sooner or later! (I'm currently living alone (besides the dogs, etc) as I house-sit for 3 weeks.)

Day 9 done:

One of the dogs woke me with his stupid barking.. again. Managed to snooze until alarm at 5:40am.

Snack
6:30am
1/4 Scotch egg

Meal 1
8:30am
Poached eggs on spinach with almond pesto
+ kiwi fruit

Meal 2
12:50pm
Chocolate chili with sweet potato, spring salad, broccoli and radish
+ chamomile tea
+ plum

+ cleanse tea

Meal 3
6:05pm

Cinnamon beef stew, spring salad, herb "rice" salad

14521925985_fbacb2eec2_o_d.jpg

I have a friend staying with me this weekend who's vegetarian. She's happily drinking cider, and snacking on cheese on crackers. I am pleased to note that I feel zero compulsion to partake.. that cinnamon beef stew is keeping me well fed indeed.

Archived