AnneB Starts 6/21

AnneB

Starting tomorrow, Saturday, June 21st, I take on my first WHOLE30!! I've done the 21 Day Sugar Detox before (3x) and have been quite successful. But, after reading more about Whole30, I've decided to give this a shot. This is my commitment & pledge to my Whole30 program: 6/21 - 7/31/2014

Why am I doing my Whole30?

Two words: Alcohol. Treats.

• Alcohol...
    After a significant weight loss in 7 months in 2013 (65lbs), I stopped losing after having bunion surgery in November '13. Holidays coupled with a terribly cold midwest winter, let me get lazy and I began some of my old habits of consuming alcohol on a more regular basis (mainly red wine). I then found gluten free hard cider. No weight gain but no longer any losing.
  • Treats...
    Spring 2014, I started to transition my kids to a more Paleo diet which meant I began baking more treats for the kids to enjoy & "buy in". Darned grain-free brownies, cookies, and pancakes have been a major downfall for me.

My Whole30 Goals

• Reset ... Getting back to the basics of eating whole food & not using a glass of wine to "unwind" at the end of the day.
  • Lose Weight ... I'll admit it: I want to lose 10 pounds on this journey!
  • Figure out what the trigger really is ... At the end of this journey (Aug 1st), I will gradually re-introduce a few items & see what it is that really set me back. Perhaps it'll be a confirmation of the alcohol & treats but maybe it'll be the occasional dairy or corn that I'll eat.

Why I KNOW that I'll be Successful

• I'm excellent at planning meals & am a skillful cook
  • I'm determined to get back into the groove
  • I will be RELENTLESS
  • I have a great support system - friends who've done this program before & a family willing to eat what I eat during this time.

Day 1 ... Almost done! ;)

Been a slow & lazy day - but that's fine by me.

Breakfast:

Sauteed handful each mushrooms, onions & spinach in some bacon drippings

Leftover grilled chicken thigh

Coffee blended w/ coconut cream concentrate

Snacks

Celery w/ organic sunbutter

Lunch

Leftover salmon, 1/2 avocado & mixed salad greens

Dinner

Grilled ribeye, sauteed mushrooms w/ ghee, steamed chopped broccoli, mashed cauliflower (added ghee)

Beverages

Plenty of water

Coconut water (large container)

1 T. ACW w/ 32 oz water

Goals for tomorrow: Finalize menu plan for the week, go for a long walk in the morning (weather-dependent).

Areas to consider for focus: Reduce electronic/TV time, more sleep.

Beverages

Coconut water (large container)

Hi there and welcome!

Meals look great!

On the coconut water, confirm that it is compliant and avoid relying on it as a routine beverage, per the Can I Have guide:

"Most coconut waters are technically compliant, containing only natural sugars from the coconut. However, some brands add sugar to their ingredients, so read your labels. Anything with added sugar is out for your Whole30.

Tip: Coconut water is essentially a “light†fruit juice. If you're involved in endurance athletics, work in a profession that leaves you prone to dehydration, or just want a refreshing treat, coconut water can be a fine choice for rehydration. Just don't let coconut water take the place of plain old water in your daily routine." - See more at: http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/#sthash.ctEchUor.dpuf

Day 2 complete!!

(And, I'm re-typing this darned thing since I lost the first one. Grrr!)

Woke up [sunday] feeling like a train had run over me. This is what I had expected for Saturday since I know how gluten affects me physically - achy joints, pain & stiffness. For a moment, thought that perhaps I got away unscathed from the beer I drank Friday night. Nope ... Just delayed to the 2nd day!

Got up & prepared my warm water w/ lemon (daily ritual) and opened up my Whole30 email. Sure enough - there it was: Days 2-3: The Hangover! Of course... I should've known!! Never had to go through this when doing the 21DSD because I had been pretty much squeaky clean Paleo when I started each time (was just giving up an occasional glass of wine). But, I've been noshing on organic corn tortilla chips, drinking alcohol more frequently, having occasional Paleo treats. OF COURSE!

[Preview for Day3: All is good!]

So, here's how the day worked out:

Brekkie:

2 eggs, over medium w/ Sriracha sauce

leftover ribeye from last night

2 cups veg (leftover from last night: cauli mash, steamed broccoli & sauteed mushrooms, all warmed up together with ghee)

2 cups coffee w/ coconut milk

Lunch:

Big Ass Taco Salad - grass fed beef (seasoned), lettuce, 2/3 avocado, jicama, salsa, lime juice

Dinner:

Mixed greens w/ dressing (olive oil, red wine vinegar, WT garlic galore, dijon)

Grilled chicken thigh (WT herb grilling marinade blend)

Veggie blend of onions, garlic scapes, grape tomatoes, spaghetti squash, spinach w/ lemon juice & ghee

Snacks/Nibbles:

(not usually a big snacker but weekends are typically the exception)

celery & organic sunbutter

medjool date

Activities/Exercise:

Wanted to work out so bad but my body was just in too much pain. Hit the pool w/ the kiddos & did a little workout with cardio & resistance work.

Drinking TONS of water, including my ACV + water (32oz there). [Clean] Coconut water from Saturday was to help balance my electrolytes as I'm dealing with some digestive distress for the past week.

Now, onto Day 3 ... So far, so good!

DAY SIX!!

Glad to see that the forums are back online. Tried a few times when they weren't & then got busy at work & life. ;)

Been doing GREAT! No major issues. I'm noticing a more "return to normal" feeling - something that I didn't realize had dissipated the past few weeks. Meaning: moods are more stable, I'm more confident, my blood sugar is stable (cravings are virtually gone & hunger is very controlled), and I'm sleeping much better. Usually I see my chiropractor every week - and today would be my weekly appointment. Canceled it! I think much of this is the inflammation is going back down again in my body which helps keep me aligned.

I went back to my (aqua) boot camp class last night. That felt soooooo goooooodddd! I love being in the water. It's a drive to get there & with my kids not being in their swimming lessons anymore, I hadn't made it a priority like it was before. Goal is to get back to Monday / Wednesdays.

Food has been fine. I'm one who can just put things together; I don't follow recipes but rather use them as a guide for any new flavor combinations I may not have thought of. Dinner last night was so yummy - I'll share my "recipe"

Amazing Kabobs with Thai Sunbutter Sauce

***amounts are approximate only as I do not measure***

3# meat, cut into chunks/cubes for the skewers (I used a tri tip roast) & put into glass bowl or baggie for marinating.

For your marinade mix up:

Coconut aminos (1/3 cup)

Olive oil (1/3 cup)

Dijon mustard (1 T) - verify ingredients!

Fresh parsley, chopped (1/4 cup)

Black pepper, ground (1 tsp)

Garlic, minced (2 cloves)

Onion powder (1 tsp)

Veggies of choice - I used 3 green peppers, 2 zucchinis & 1 8-oz pkg mushrooms for a family of 4

Cut into chunks for skewers & put into baggie along with:

Olive oil (1/2 cup)

Garlic, minced (2 cloves)

Salt, himalayan pink (1/2 tsp)

Black pepper, ground (1 tsp)

Put everything in the fridge to marinate. I did this over my lunch hour & let it go until after work.

if you use bamboo skewers, they should be soaked for at least 30 min before proceeding

When ready to cook:

Heat up your grill.

When I do kabobs, I keep the meat on separate skewers. This is because meat & veggies have different cooking times. If you're using chicken, you don't want to undercook the chicken & overcook your veggies. That's just gross! If you follow this method, it may not produce pretty skewers alternating w/ meat & veg but everything will be cooked properly!

Put your meat on your kabob skewers and place on the hot grill. If using a gas grill, turn burners down to med-low.

Now go skewer up your veggies.

When done, go turn over your meat & then add the veggies. (The burners for the vegs should be on low)

Go make your Thai Sunbutter Sauce, which should only take you about 5 min (but keep an eye on the grill!)

In a small cup for your food processor or magic bullet, combine:

lime, 1/2 juiced

coconut aminos (1T)

Rice vinegar (1 tsp)

Minced garlic, 1 clove

crushed red pepper flakes (1/2 tsp)

1/4 cup sunbutter

{blend this all together}

1/4 cup coconut milk (the stuff from the can, all mixed up)

Blend all together again

Cover & put in fridge.

Now go check your meat. If it's steak, they may be done to your liking. Otherwise, give it about 3 more minutes.

Remove your meat skewers (ensure it's cooked to your liking & food safety needs for chicken or pork). Put on plate or pan & cover with foil to let rest.

Set the table... This is gonna be a good one! :)

Pull the veggie skewers.

Call everyone for dinner. Say your prayers. Dig in!

The sauce recipe is very similar to something I found online & pinned: http://www.pinterest.com/pin/49821139602581047/

If you need an actual recipe, this one is good to follow (I just didn't use the ginger)

FIRST WEEK COMING TO A CLOSE!!! WOOT! WOOT!!

Just finished my 7-day review worksheet and I was very honest with myself. Interesting... Cravings are doing alright. I do get them - don't get me wrong. But, I'm working through them. My strategies have been (when at work): go refill my water bottle (or go to the bathroom if bottle is full), take a short walk around the building (we have a big building), think about STEAMED FISH & BROCCOLI. If when I get back to my office, the broccoli & fish sound good, then I drink my water and IF I'm still wanting that fish & broccoli (which I had for dinner last night ;) ), I'll dip into the snack I've brought along for the day.

But, I'm not normally a snacker so this tactic generally works well for me. That was the first thing I noticed when I went Paleo last spring. I had a coach (mindset help) who told me to make sure I was eating more but I just wasn't hungry. So, I learned how to increase/boost my meals with some additional fat & nutrients - avocado with just about every breakfast, some nuts or seeds on my salads for lunch, drizzle olive oil on my grilled veg & meat for dinner. Those tiny little things make a HUGE difference. I never stopped using them but I feel more acutely aware of the strategy right now.

Yesterday worked out great ... Feels like the same ol', same ol. Right now.

Breakfast

Eggs, mushrooms, sketti squash, 1/2 avo; coffee w/ coconut milk

Lunch

Leftovers from last night all mixed together with some extra veggies (stir fried a large carrot & 1 cup cauli rice)

Dinner

Salmon patties (1 egg, 1T arrowroot, WT dill dip blend) cooked in coconut oil; steamed broccoli topped with ghee & seasoned with lemon pepper; big salad w/ greens, salad turnips, radishes & homemade ranch

No snacks ... TONS of water

Here's to finishing out the week on a positive note. Tomorrow, I have a 3-hr slot reserved at the SPA!! :D

[

Go make your Thai Sunbutter Sauce, which should only take you about 5 min (but keep an eye on the grill!)

In a small cup for your food processor or magic bullet, combine:

lime, 1/2 juiced

coconut aminos (1T)

Rice vinegar (1 tsp)

Minced garlic, 1 clove

crushed red pepper flakes (1/2 tsp)

1/4 cup sunbutter

{blend this all together}

1/4 cup coconut milk (the stuff from the can, all mixed up)

Blend all together again

Cover & put in fridge.

)

My DD wanted Chinese tonight and as I was too tired to cook when we got home, I picked up some steamed veggies and chicken. Whipped up this sauce to pour on top - oh my yummy goodness! Mild, light, with just a little heat... So good!

Thanks for sharing!

Been so busy lately that I haven't had a chance to write ... BUT, no worries - doing great! :D

I'm focusing on ensuring every meal has at least 2 servings veggies, a generous serving of protein (which I find that I really NEED to stave off cravings & keep my hunger levels good), and some fat (my go-to: avocado). Fruit maybe once a day - trying to keep it all seasonal for my area (read: no apples).

Been resisting cravings - or not having many. Of course, I'm at work & see a message that someone's kid works at a movie theater & brought in a ton of leftover popcorn. DANG! That sounds soooo good!!

I don't remember if I shared this earlier but I did do something that only cheated myself: I weighed myself in the first week. And, not just once or a few times in the morning. It became obsessive behavior: morning, evening & sometimes mid-day. Granted, it did give me the satisfaction that I wanted (down 5# at that time) but I asked my husband to please take & hide the scale so that I would stop. Every morning, I still notice its absence. I know that is not good. I justify it with the fact that I have so much to lose (we're talking 100#) but I **know** better in my head. And, I told him my obsession with the hopes that he can help me with it - take it out when my 30 days is up & then put it away for another 30 (and so on). I don't know that I'll ever be able to have it readily available in the bathroom as it was before. But, we shall see ... baby steps!

Two other areas I need to work on:

Sleeping - Haven't been getting to sleep before 11pm & I'm up by 5:45am. My natural body clock on the weekends is around 6:15am to wake up; I need to get to sleep a bit earlier to reinstate this clock! That's my goal this weekend!!!

Exercise - I'm letting things like the weather & other things get in the way of prioritizing my exercise. Stops NOW! I'm going to get up & go for morning jogs (C25K) all this long weekend. Monday & Wednesday will be boot camp next week. I will. I will. I will.

So, that's about it for me right now.

Thanks for reading! :)

Wow - I've REALLY been absent!! My plan had been to be on here everyday as a way to document my journey. Was taking pics of every meal, too. So much for that. <sheesh!> Life, I guess! ;)

For the most part, doing just fine. Food is of no issue. I got this one down - helps having been Paleo for the past 15 mos & while this is my first Whole30, I had the realization this weekend that I did a Whole30 when I started Paleo.

Enough of that, though ...

So, today is DAY 17 and I'm noticing the following:

My clothes are definitely fitting differently which is a GREAT FEELING :D The top I have on at work today doesn't look quite "filled out" on top, if you get what I mean. LOL! A pair of capris that I bought back in May should've been returned to the store because they were tight but I kept them. They now go on with ease & don't look too tight. I'm guessing that in 13 days, they'll fit great!

[This is gonna sound weird] I notice when I sleep that my knees hurt on the inside. OK, let me explain: I'm a big gal & am pear-shaped. I have wide hips & large thighs. My knees are shaped such that the bones stick out towards one another when I stand more than most people - been this way all my life. I also sleep on my side. So, I think my thighs are shrinking and my knees don't have as much padding to keep them comfortable anymore. And, by hurt, I mean: wake-me-up-in-the-middle-of-the-night kind of hurt. Going to mention this to my chiro but I was just recently adjusted. And, to be honest, I think it's kinda funny! I have a friend who was anorexic for a period in her life & she said that sleeping was the worst for her - the pain of bone-on-bone in her legs is similar to what I'm describing. So in NO WAY AM I COMPARING MYSELF to an anorexic person, but I'm just observing that perhaps some shrinking is happening & I'm physically feeling it.

My skin is doing some really odd things. Like in-grown hairs or plugged sweat glands in some of the oddest areas (arms, fingers, back, legs, toes). Now, I did get a few pimples the first few days. But, this has been constant. And, they are painful (start out like an itchy mosquito bite) and eventually become what I can only describe as a white-head. A little scab eventually forms & heals but a red dot remains in many of the locations. I've begun using some essential oils so I'm wondering if it's related at all. Could be but I'm thinking it's more a detox-like thing.

I have NOT been sleeping well lately. Tonight will be un-plugged when we all get home: eat family dinner, maybe a few card games with the kids & then it's bed time at 8pm. I think all the festivities of the past few days/weeks with the 4th, etc., have really worn down on us all. My natural body clock is so messed up - I slept until 8am every day this long weekend!! I'm normally 6am without an alarm... I miss my AM walks!

OK, so that about wraps it up. Here's my food journal:

Breakfast

2 cups spinach cooked in coconut oil

2 eggs

1 slice breakfast meatloaf

Coffee w/ coconut milk

Lunch

my own "deconstructed gyro" on lettuce - lamb, onions, garlic, greek seasoning blend, cucumbers, homemade tzatziki sauce (homemade mayo), tomatoes

Dinner (will be)

2 pieces Cracklin' chicken (Nom Nom Paleo) w/ sunbutter sauce for dipping

Roasted carrots & brussel sprouts

Tossed salad w/ homemade ranch dressing

Debating on a snack right now - not sure if hungry or not. If I do eat, it's a banana + sunbutter. But ONLY if steamed fish & broccoli sound good (which, they always do - LOL)

My DD wanted Chinese tonight and as I was too tired to cook when we got home, I picked up some steamed veggies and chicken. Whipped up this sauce to pour on top - oh my yummy goodness! Mild, light, with just a little heat... So good!

Thanks for sharing!

No problem, Kmlynne! I know there are a ton of versions out there but this is what I've been using for some time. It's so goooooood! I also use it with some ground pork, veggies of choice & then in lettuce wraps. I make 2# of meat for my family of 4 (2 elementary school-aged boys) and there's never any leftovers!!!

Archived