Will running ever improve? :(

cara123

First disclaimer I'm posting in the athletes section though I seriously do not consider myself an athlete. I run (or jog) 3 to 4 times a week between 5 to 10 km and maybe do a spin class or two. Since Whole30 my running has gotten progressively worse, my legs feel like lead and my times are sooooo slow, I'm day 13 and starting to worry this will never pass :(. Anyone have any experience similar or different to share?

• Moderators

Many people suffered poor athletic performance for at least the first two weeks of the Whole30. Things tend to get better near the end. Your body is giving up sugar/carbs as energy and requires time to adjust to burning fat efficiently. 

Many people suffered poor athletic performance for at least the first two weeks of the Whole30. Things tend to get better near the end. Your body is giving up sugar/carbs as energy and requires time to adjust to burning fat efficiently.

Thanks Tom, believe it or not today I attempted a short run and my legs did not feel as much like lead. Hoping this is the light at the end of the tunnel :).

Guest WholeStanley

I had the exact same thing, and I am a very similar runner to you - my worse time was day 11 but I didn't start smashing my personal best times/distances until day 32/33 and it's kept getting better. So my advice would be to stick with it and also play around with your pre work out meal to see what works best

I had the exact same thing, and I am a very similar runner to you - my worse time was day 11 but I didn't start smashing my personal best times/distances until day 32/33 and it's kept getting better. So my advice would be to stick with it and also play around with your pre work out meal to see what works best

Thanks so much WholeStanley, your comment gives me hope :D.

Guest WholeStanley

o yes thats another key tip - give yourself permission to take it easy! it took me a while to not feel guilty/cross with myself because i was too tired to run after work,  so yeah give urself a break a listen to your body

Agree. My running was really lackluster the first couple of weeks. It seemed like a long time where it was a lot of effort. Hang in there, and give yourself permission to take it easy while your body adapts.

Thanks so much for the advice ultrarunnergirl, I have been allowing myself to slacken off, a couple of shorter runs, no long run, and walking breaks but can't help worry that it's a permanent step backwards.

o yes thats another key tip - give yourself permission to take it easy! it took me a while to not feel guilty/cross with myself because i was too tired to run after work,  so yeah give urself a break a listen to your body

Thanks WholeStanley, while my brain keeps reminding myself this is normal there is that panicky voice that says I will never get back to feeling comfortable with my run, as unfortunately I'm not a natural runner.

Still struggling on the runs. My time has slowed terribly and I'm hoping this is not permanent :(. I'm day 21, yet to run its 7am, however yesterday's run was awful. I hope this does not mean that Tigerblood will never hit and the only way to pick up is to return to my awful old diet.

• Moderators

Cara,

It might be helpful if you post a couple days worth of what you have been eating during the day including your pre and post workout meals so we can see if there are any obvious answers as to what you can do.

It could be as simple as eating more sweet potatoes or rutabaga or butternut squash ...

Also, are you getting enough sleep? How about your stress levels? They all matter here.

Archived