9 Days in - still fighting the sugar monster

kayfitness12

I feel really great about making it to Day 9 without caving in to the sugar monster by eating a massive amount of chocolate or drinking an entire bottle of red wine! My most difficult cravings seem to happen between lunch and dinner, and then before bedtime. I think I have been eating a little too much fruit, coconut flakes and nuts to compensate for the cravings, which may be making them worse! Still, I am feeling alot better today and more energetic overall than earlier this week. This definitely feels like I can make it through the next 21 days.

The one negative is that I am running out of steam in my cardio workouts. Not sure how to manage the energy for those without the protein shakes or bars that I used to rely on pre/post workout.

I have done well on the program eating at home and my boyfriend is eating on the plan along with me(without being committed to it) because he is being supportive. I am sure when I travel next week for work, he will digress and eat that cheeseburger and fries he has been craving! I am hoping that by finishing the Whole 30, I will inspire him with my results and he will join me in my healthier lifestyle.

I still haven't noticed any change in my skin rashes or psoriasis, but it is still early and I am still focused on the positive outcome. I have noticed a smaller waist and clothes are getting looser. Did cheat and weigh yesterday and had lost 1.8 lbs - which was probably mostly water weight. Still - love the way I am feeling overall, just knowing that I am doing a positive thing for myself and envisioning the outcome!

• Moderators

Sometimes energy is weak around day 9 and your issues may be that. However, many people don't eat enough when they cut grains and sugar. Veggies don't provide many calories, so you have to eat plenty of protein and fat, along with a good volume of veggies. How much are you eating overall? And are you eating pre- and post-workout meals? Boiled eggs before a workout and chicken breast after a workout are good choices.

Thanks, Tom.

I am eating as much as I can at meals and also snacking mid-afternoon on the nuts and an apple or orange. I knew that about boiled eggs and forgot - I almost fainted after my elliptical session yesterday - had to eat a handful of grapes and some organic chicken slices immediately when I got home. That seemed to help so I will definitely try the pre/post workout protein ! Thanks for the advice!

Hey Kayfitness,

I too have a very supportive boyfriend who is eating whole9 with me and is sacrificing his love of potatoes (were Irish) for a mound of other vegetables. He does seem to enjoy the fact that I am cooking more now though.

I feel your pain with the sugar cravings, the first week, i could have slapped a small child to get their sweets...god I feel bad for even saying that but I guess its the truth. I am on day 9 right now...but I should say that i have had many accidental slip ups where I havent realised stuff wasnt compliant. So I havent technically started the whole30 yet, so Im on day 9 of my practise run :D I still have some cravings but they are definitely not as bad as they were those first days.

Im working out a lot too. I have some macadamia and hazelnuts before I go (I read that in the athletes forum) and try and have dinner afterwards. I'm feeling pretty strong at the minute so im happy with that. My energy levels throughout the day are wayyyyy higher than before...I had to come home early from work one day and go to sleep : Thats what tipped me over the egde..

Anyway, very rambling post...just know your not alone with the cravings and that your doing great! So keep the head up and keep on trucking :D

Archived