Beginner Runner and Whole30

outdorsgrl

I ran my first 5K (it had been over 10yrs. since my last one) in quite some time. Since then I continue to jog/run 2-3 times a week. I jog/run anywhere from 2-4 miles each time. I plan to participate in more 5K's, work up to a 10K, then ultimately train for a 1/2 marathon! I will be starting the Whole30 program mid month...and I want to be sure I get adequate nutrition. I would love to hear some suggestions for staying fueled through out the day, etc. Thank you!

Really, as long as you follow the template, including pre- and post-workout meals, and don't skimp on starchy carbs, you should be adequately fuelled. And just keep adjusting the quantity of food up as your distances increase, so that you don't feel that you're dragging - don't think that what fuels you for a 5km run will be sufficient for the day after a 20km run! My friend who has just started training for a full marathon after doing 3 half marathons (she's not Paleo or Whole30) describes her appetite as "a half-starved horse" - she is wolfing food down and constantly hungry, and losing weight (I won't comment on whether that weight is fat or muscle).

If you're hungry, eat more fat and protein. If you're tired/dragging, eat more starch (sweet potatoes, root vege, etc).

And start working on your race nutrition now, so that you know what your stomach can and can't handle during a 5km, 10km or half - I road-tested a big breakfast 2.5hrs before a 10km race thinking I'd need the fuel - it wasn't good! No nasty story, just terrible stomache for most of a very hilly race - learned my lesson for the next time though!

Archived