Slaying the Sugar Dragon

jabisk

This will my third attempt at completing my second Whole 30.  My first Whole 30 was successfully completed back in January 2013, so I know I can do it and I know it's not that hard.  I am ready to commit to getting my health back on track :)

While I have been eating Paleo for the last 2 years (at least), I do not eat strict paleo (too much sugar and paleofied goodies!) all the time and do give into cravings on occassion.  Unfortunately giving into those cravings on occassion leads to out of control eating for several days and a feeling of guilt.

I have horrible sugar cravings....HORRIBLE.  Like out of control and I am ready to get control over my eating. 

The first two attempts this past week were unsuccessful for one reason...planning.  I woke up one morning and decided to start.  I made it to day 5 and then gave into sugar.  I restarted and made it to day 3 (today) and gave into sugar.  I started looking into other "diets" (Keto) and came across my Whole 30 Made Simple and took that as a sign that it isn't about finding another "diet".  It is about using what I already know and making better choices even when it gets tough...and it will get tough.

There is actually another reason...I live with four others (my husband, two kids and mother-in-law) who do not eat Paleo/primal.  They are SAD eaters for the most part.  I am on the one who prepares their meals, so parts of what they eat are Paleo/primal but meals also include grains and nasty things of that sort.  But that's a whole other topic.  I am not tempted by the bread or pasta.  It is the sweets and baked goods that tempt me.  There is no way to rid the house of these items, so I am already planning on using the guide to nutritional off roading or "cheat sheet" for when cravings attack.

Here's my plan for success this time:

1.  Plan.  Plan.  Plan.

2.  Use Whole30 resources (off roading guide, forum, book, etc.) to help when feeling like throwing in the towel.

3.  Get more sleep (which I should already be in bed now!).

4.  Reread It Starts With Food...that always seems to help me stay focused on making better choices.

I am giving myself tomorrow to make sure I have everything prepared for a successful start on Sunday!

Start date:  July 6, 2014

Congratulations for starting again. You can do it. I have a suggestion. I don't know how old your children are or how mobile your mother in law is. Perhaps it's time for them to help in the kitchen and make their own food. Another option is to make whole30 meals and then let them eat non compliant sides like bread or pasta or rice. I hear you about resisting junk food when it's around the house. Good luck!

...so I am already planning on using the guide to nutritional off roading or "cheat sheet" for when cravings attack.

I'm not sure what you meant by this, but to be clear: the guide to nutritional off roading is for POST-whole30. There is no off-roading during the 30 day plan  :)

I'm not sure what you meant by this, but to be clear: the guide to nutritional off roading is for POST-whole30. There is no off-roading during the 30 day plan  :)

oops...that's what happens when it's past bedtime!  I wish I had something similar that would help steer me away from making poor choices (like no - don't eat it or you're going to blow your whole30 again!).

Congratulations for starting again. You can do it. I have a suggestion. I don't know how old your children are or how mobile your mother in law is. Perhaps it's time for them to help in the kitchen and make their own food. Another option is to make whole30 meals and then let them eat non compliant sides like bread or pasta or rice. I hear you about resisting junk food when it's around the house. Good luck!

Thanks for the suggestion.  They do offer to help.  My mother in law often cooks dinner during the week and I have gotten her to switch to organic or grassfed cuts of meat as well as organic, green veggies.  She often breads things or covers them with gravy or sauces but has learned to leave mine plain and I prepare it myself.  It's just those darn goodies that always seem to be in the house! If I buy goodies, I try and buy things I dont' like or wouldn't eat normally.  I so wish I could just rid the house of all the crap. 

Excited for tomorrow and ready to do this.  I will be planning, shopping and prepping tomorrow.  Looking forward to the next 30 days :)

Day 1 went really well. 

Meal 1:  2 eggs fried in coconut oil, two handfuls of kale sauteed in coconut oil, 1/2 avocado, decaf coffee with coconut milk

Meal 2:  a can of tuna with 1 TB homemade mayo, cucumber, tomato, olives, bell pepper salad

PostWO:  2 hardboiled eggs, komucha (small glass)

Meal 3:  1 Adelle organic sausage, 1 small chicken thigh, green salad with avocado, olives, beets and hearts of palm

NO FRUIT :)  No sugar cravings :)

Day 2 went fairly well except that I don't think I ate enough and have ended up with a headache at the end of the day.  It was a long day...7 hours out on our boat with 7 kids and my husband tubing and  wakeboarding.  I did pack food but not enough and hadn't really planned on being out there sooo long.  I need to make sure to have an emergency snack/meal with me next time.

Meal 1:  2 eggs fried in coconut oil, 2 handfuls of kale sauteed in coconut oil, 1/2 an avocado, decaf with coconut milk

Meal 2:  chicken salad (two small thighs cut up and mixed with celery and 1 TB homemade mayo, plum

Meal 3:  2 grassfed hot dogs with mustard and kraut, cucumber, hearts of palm, avocado salad, decaf with coconut milk and a few strawberries

A small bit of fruit today.  No sugar cravings...yet.

Day 3

Meal 1:  same as the Day 1 and Day 2 but switched out the avocado for yam with ghee and had 2 cups of decaf with coconut milk instead of the usual 1

Meal 2:  ground bison with salsa and guacomole (YUMMY!), beets, celery, mini bell pepper and hearts of palm salad with salt and pepper

Snack:  half of a 200 calorie pack of raw almonds (Trader Joes) and about 15 cherries

Meal 3:  2 BBQ drumsticks, steamed broccoli

Snack:  couldn't figure out why I was getting hungry and I forgot to put a healthy fat into Meal 3 :/, so I had a small Granny smith apple with coconut cream (it might have been the best apple I have ever eaten)

I have heard/read a lot about Maca powder and found some today while grocery shopping.  I picked some up and came home and made a cup using a tsp. of Maca and 2 tsp. of raw cacao powder with a splash of cashew milk.  It tasted pretty good but I ended up with a stomach ache about 20-30 minutes after starting to drink it.  Not sure why that was but I am not sure if I am a fan or not.  I am going to try it again tomorrow instead of coffee possibly although I have to go into work for a planning meeting and don't need tummy troubles!

Overall good day.  Not too tempted by treats although my family is really pushing to see how committed I am...Starbucks, brownies, milkshakes...not tempted today!  Not sure if it is a mindset thing or if eliminating fruit at breakfast has really made that big of a difference.  Whatever it is...I hope it sticks :)

Because I am a teacher, doing the Whole 30 during the summer is perfect because I am usually home to prep my meals.  Tomorrow I have to meet the other 4th grade teachers to plan for next year and will need to make sure I pack my lunch and all so that I can stick with it.  Off to pack lunch and get some sleep.

Archived