July 14 Support Thread

peacefrog

I survived my camping weekend and still am still compliant! Yay! :D  Missing the wine and s'mores was a little tough, but not anywhere near as difficult as I thought it would be. Thankfully our friends were all very supportive and nobody gave me a hard time, which was awesome.

I officially poured my coffee creamer down the sink tonight. It's been sitting in my fridge from pre-Whole 30 days, waiting for me to finish up, but I'm determined to not go back. I found I'm finally starting to enjoy iced tea without any added sugar now too. Making progress!

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jenn - congrats! On everything - the camping, creamer and iced tea! What a great weekend you had! I hope you're really proud of yourself.

ParsleyandSage - wait staff, bless them, will do their best, but they may have missed something. My biggest issue eating out is cooking oils and seasonings.  I'm sure after inspecting a few labels by now you're aware there are things in our food that have no place being there (all the times you've found sugar in foods!) and there can often be other weird processed bits in ingredients you wouldn't expect, like salt or other things. Maybe there was something you react to in something the wait staff didn't think to check for you. I wouldn't worry for now, just think about it next time you eat out.

Congrats everyone on making it through 3 weeks! One to go, we can do this!

Wow...is it really Day 22? Last night I made my own "Lara Bars"...pecan pie variety. Super easy with the food processor. I think I like shaping them into small balls rather than bars. Just to give everyone a good laugh...After I had ground up my nuts, I blissfully threw in my dates without a thought...turn on my food processor and it makes a horrible noise...didn't think about the dates having pits! Managed to get all the pits out without any damage done to the food processor...learning stuff every day!  :wacko:

Jenna-I so, so hear you about sleep. When I've been achy, or my allergies are bad, I swear I can sleep an extra couple of hours easily (if I can fit it in). It's funny to me now, that I didn't even write down 'better sleep'  when we wrote down our goals for the whole 30. Has the whole 30, (or whole 9) improved things overall for your sleep patterns? I remember we talked about acupuncture (which I just started). I wonder if you can mention it to your acupuncturist? My acupuncturist was surprised how knocked out I was after  the treatment, and said she wants to adjust things next time to address the fatique....I'm glad you had a few days where you could give your body the rest it needs..... ps. Maybe you're right about the restaurant...no way really to know, but clearly something set me back.

Jenn2011-I have family coming to stay at the end of the week. Lots of family fun, 'camping' type activities planned. As we're stocking the house up with foods, I'm thinking I'll cook some batches of compliant options for myself (and whoever would like), and have some fruits, cut veggies, and nuts stocked too. You're inspiring me to stay on track like you did!

Beckylinn-Wow! You're inspiring me too. I know how things are laid out at conferences....lots of bagels, and pastries, and not much of anything else...good for you deciding ahead of time, when you'll need to ignor, or opt out, and find food elsewhere to keep yourself feeling good!

Someone (?) early on mentioned zucchini as a great swap out for pasta. I finally tried it, and you're right! With the help of my new julianne peeler, and homemade tomato sauce to go on top, I found another great substitution (and didn't even miss the parmesan). I love it. Thanks for the suggestion!

Sandy

I survived my camping weekend and still am still compliant! Yay! :D  Missing the wine and s'mores was a little tough, but not anywhere near as difficult as I thought it would be. Thankfully our friends were all very supportive and nobody gave me a hard time, which was awesome.

I officially poured my coffee creamer down the sink tonight. It's been sitting in my fridge from pre-Whole 30 days, waiting for me to finish up, but I'm determined to not go back. I found I'm finally starting to enjoy iced tea without any added sugar now too. Making progress!

Congrats on getting through that camping trip! Big victory!

Well I'm very lucky - I'm usually a great sleeper, its just been this onslaught on weather that has disrupted that. I've never had any issues getting to sleep, and as long as I don't have something too obvious waking me up like a over-full bladder, extreme wind or god forbid, a bleed, I sleep through and wake up well. My first whole30 helped me wake up better (I used to struggle a bit), but then again so did changing my job earlier in the year from something I hated going to to something I love. It tends to take me quite a bit of time to make up for lost sleep, but everything I've read says you can't just make up for one missed/horrible night the next day, that it takes a number of days or a week, so I'm right on track. I'm progressively feeling more alive as I get more sleep.

Another spot of proof that W9-style eating is beneficial even for genetic medical conditions - last night when I was looking for a clean air of pjs I accidentally pulled my drawer too far and it came all the way out and fell on my foot. Hurt like crazy, there may have been swearing ( i have very small, slim feet, not much padding on the bones there!). Prior to changing the way I ate this would've meant staying up for another hour at least to do an hour of icing it, and maybe even having to inject some medication to deal with a bleed. A potential complication if it had gone badly was damage to the bone from pooling blood which may have meant a trip to the hospital. Last night though, because I could tell nothing was broken, I just hopped (literally, only weight bearing on one foot!) into bed, and this morning theres a very mild small bruise but I'm all good!

Eating this way doesn't mean I can make more factor, just that without my body being busy dealing with my untreated food sensitivities and underlying chronic inflammation it can more effectively deal with injuries, even despite my lower genetic clotting factor levels. Also, protein makes you stronger than you realise so you can do things like lift 20kg boxes without realising how heavy they are or pull drawers right out of they slots while half asleep.

Jenna- so glad to hear that your foot is feeling better. It must be rough that an accident that might not otherwise be a big deal to someone without your condition could land you in the hospital. It's amazing that Whole 30 has helped you- just speaks volumes about it. The food we feed our bodies really can be our best friend or our worst enemy. Yet we're the "weirdos" that strive for the former. :)

Sandy- you can do it! Planning my meals was what helped me the most. There were so.many.opportunities to stray if I didn't. Ice cream, popsicles, chips, popcorn, s'mores, candy, beer, wine, breakfast pastries... and the list goes on and on. Knowing exactly what I was going to eat and planning for that was a huge help. And keeping water with me as well (it was a HOT weekend!).

Risa- your Lara bar making adventure cracked me up! I've never actually cooked with dates before, so I might have done the very same thing! ;)  How did they turn out? Those have been a great emergency food for me, and I'll probably use them when I get back running again instead of the sugary gels. I'd love to try making my own, maybe it's a little cheaper that way?

Becky- congratulations on your victory, that's fantastic! Avoiding the temptations of a work conference is no small feat in and of itself.

I just finished my frittatas for this week's breakfast. Tonight's dinner was compliant shepherd's pie, which will also be tomorrow's lunch. And I think the smell of garlic cooking in ghee has got to be one of my new favorites for my kitchen. LOL  I just bought a new workout series too- Piyo. I'm normally more of a cardio/running girl, but feel like I need to mix it up a bit, and try and regain some of the flexibility I've lost as I've gotten older. This is supposed to be a combination of pilates and yoga. Neither is my favorite, but I love the instructor Chalene Johnson's other series, and figure if anyone can get me to like yoga, it will be her! Today's workout was a simple one, just showing you how to properly align your posture and stepping through some of the moves. But it's going to be intense if this first one is any indication. Looking forward to new challenges! :)

I know! Its completely amazing, and I'm really looking forward to sharing it with a group of people at a conference in a week and a half who are either already convinced or have come to be convinced to go paleo. Sharing it with others is an amazing way for me to remember how much of a change I've made.

You definitely need to try yoga! There are so many different styles, you're bound to find one that suits you (or even your mood each afternoon!). If you've got a local Lululemon store, sign up to their emails/facebook page. Lululemons offer free classes once or twice a week in store of all sorts of activities (though yoga makes a regular appearance) and you can test drive different styles and instructors to find one you like without spending a cent. Coz who doesn't like free stuff!

Hi all - do you realize we have only one more week to go? A week from today will be day 30! Time flies, eh?

Hey, I have zucchini multiplying in my garden like bunnies right now and I have been focusing on getting more veggies in my breakfast so I found this great recipe for zucchini fritters - with bacon. I made a double batch last night to have in the fridge ready for breakfast. I just warm them in a skillet. Today I had them with fried eggs and used them to soak up the yolk (you know, like toast used to). Very good and filling.

Here's the recipe: http://www.paleonewbie.com/paleo-bacon-zucchini-carrot-fritters-recipe/

Instead of frying in a skillet, I formed patties and put on a baking pan and baked them at 350 for about 25 minutes (flipping halfway through). Seemed easier than trying to keep them together in a skillet. I also added some chopped green chile, cilantro and garlic.

Cheers to real food! Betsie

I'm having crazy bad cravings today. I'm having to wage a battle in my mind that no, I really don't want ice cream. But I really do!! Just can't give up yet. I'm having my blood tested next week to see how my cholesterol doing. I'm hoping to stay compliant until the blood draw and then celebrate that night with a glass of wine. I'm traveling again next week so I have a few more hurdles ahead of me, but I want to finish strong. 

Keep at it! 

Jenn2011 , the Lara "bars" (I like them shaped as balls) are great...and super easy with a food processor. A cup of raw almonds, a cup of raw pecans ground together first and then add 12 dates...pit them first! LOL!

Just a week to go...woohoo! Some days seem to go easier than others. Thankful that today has been an easy one...I even thought that I could keep doing this past my 30 days! There will definitely be another W30 in my future!

Day 23, woohoo! It's hard to believe we're just 1 week away from our official end. :)  I'm not sure that I'm feeling "tiger blood" officially, but I have noticed my energy levels coming back a bit. Very happy about that!

Anne- I'm glad to see you're hanging in there! Not too much longer for us!

Betsie- thank you for the recipe, that sounds great! A friend at work grows zucchini and she keeps leaving baseball bat sized ones on my desk! Now with my spiralizer, I'm getting a kick out of making zoodles. I add quite a bit to my eggs too. And in my pre-Whole 30 days I loved making zucchini bread (doh!).

Jenna- too funny! I'm surprised I haven't had more food dreams. I keep waiting!!

Beckylinn- you can do it! You've come so far, don't give up now. Sprint to the finish!

Risa- thank you for the recipe, I will definitely have to give those a shot. Lara bars have been a great emergency option for me. Who knew so few ingredients could taste so good? Even hubby is a convert!

I hope everyone is doing well! I have a dinner invite next Tuesday (day 30!) at Panera of all places! I looked there a few weeks ago and found even the chicken in their salads has sugar. So I might pull a "already ate, I'll just grab an iced tea". Can't ruin things on the last day. :)  I'm finding that I'm really enjoying eating real healthy food. And if I'm going to have sugar, it had better be a really amazing treat!

Yeah!...the aches have backed off, and allergies are much better too. What a good night's sleep. Something definitely was off with what I ate a few days back. Nice to be back on track. I've already been speaking with hubby about continuing the Whole 30...maybe with just one added thing for the next month.  He sees what an affect this wholesome lifestyle has made,  and is totally on board, which is great. It's a good feeling, even grounding I'd say, to 'up the anti' on how conscious my choices in foods are (and other things as well). It's funny, I've been saying all along, I didn't eat that badly before. But now that I've really started looking at all the extra, unwholesome ingredients that are added to prepared foods, it's no wonder my body has (wisely) protested. Body wisdom....I like that thought.

It's funny, I've been on a real roll with eggs for breakfast. This is the first time my taste buds have craved something other than eggs all month! I'm going to look for some other breakfast dishes to satisfy. Any new ideas out there?

Sandy

One week left! I was inspired by yesterday's daily newsletter to reflect upon Ten Things I've Learned While Doing the Whole30:

1. I can MANAGE stress without alcohol.

2. I MISS Boston Creme Pie.

3. It's now EASY to decide not to eat something unhealthy.

4. Lack of planning and having pre-cooked food readily available is ALWAYS the reason I am tempted to make unhealthy choices.

5. Sugar is no longer the SOURCE of my energy.

6. I ALWAYS take a healthy snack with me when I know I'll be late getting a meal.

7. I have finally found a healthy program that I WANT to follow for the rest of my life.

8. I LOVE the taste of turmeric and rosemary.

9. My husband is now SUPPORTIVE of my program.

10. Everything worthwhile just takes TIME.

Coming up with this list has been insightful. I hope I can add losing weight next week when we weigh in!

Oh my, look at all these wins! I hope you all know you're doing amazing things and changing your life. This is just the first step.

Is anyone thinking about reintroductions? What things will you not go near, and what are you interested in re-introducing to see either how you react or how you psychologically manage it?

I want to test my casein tolerance, specifically in regards to my blood pressure (last Whole30 I found out that it contributes to inflammation in my body which drives up my blood pressure). 

Oh my, look at all these wins! I hope you all know you're doing amazing things and changing your life. This is just the first step.

Is anyone thinking about reintroductions? What things will you not go near, and what are you interested in re-introducing to see either how you react or how you psychologically manage it?

I want to test my casein tolerance, specifically in regards to my blood pressure (last Whole30 I found out that it contributes to inflammation in my body which drives up my blood pressure). 

I love tlefavor's 10 things list. Tons of lessons learned already - fast learner!

Jenna, I have been thinking about what I might reintroduce and I've made up my mind about a few things. First, I really just don't tolerate dairy, so I'm going to leave that out and stop pretending I can have just a little cheese. Too many sinus issues when I have it. Likewise, I will not reintroduce grains or legumes for now. I'm pretty much over those anyway, so no need to add back.

Sugar - I have lived mostly without sugar, except for using raw local honey and eating some dark chocolate, for almost a year. I feared my sugar/chocolate habit was stalling my progress in terms of weight loss and overall well being. I can't say I feel much different without it - maybe because I didn't consume a lot in months leading to my W30. But, the scale hasn't spoken, yet, so the jury is out on how that's impacted. I tend to think I will use honey in the future, but probably not in my coffee and tea: just in the occasional treat or recipe that calls for a little sweetener. I also think I will have some occasional dark chocolate for a treat, but I'm going to cut way down from what I was having before. Fruit tastes so much better now and it's generally healthier anyway.

Alcohol - I've never been more than an occasional wine drinker, so it wasn't hard to live without it for a month (well, except when I met with my bookclub girls. We have been known to put away a few bottles per meeting!). I plan to add wine back in on the same occasional basis I had it before. I'm well aware that drinking can cause me to eat things off my plan, but after living Paleo this long, I feel like I have it under control and I can have a little wine and not eat a cake :)

Betsie

I'm a little tired, cranky & having cravings today.....bummer! Been on a great run of loving all the yummy foods and having sustained enery. I wouldn't say I've had "tiger blood" though. On the reintroduction of wine - - would you do that on a day (or I think each reintroduction gets 3 days if I read it correctly) all by itself, or with sugar, or how? I haven't found anything about that yet.

Gypsy0108, sorry your having one of "those" days - I had one last Saturday. Sometimes it means we have to look at our protein and fat intake to make sure we're getting enough of each. Sometimes we're just cranky, lol. :wacko:

I hadn't thought much about how to reintroduce sugar and alcohol, honestly. I do think it's three days per new thing. I am pretty certain I don't have any particular "sensitivities" to either thing, but I guess it would be wise to follow the protocol and do them separately as would other food groups. I guess next Wednesday I'll have to determine if I want wine or honey/chocolate more and start with that one. :D

Betsie

Wow, ask and you shall receive....just after saying my love of eggs had reached its limit, our daily email was full of other suggestions for breakfast. There were also a couple I found on forums....two that I want to try are: sweet sausage, apples, and cinnamon sautéed up together, and pumpkin 'souffle'. Both sound like a sweeter sensation of taste than the savory dishes I've been serving up thus far. I'm glad we have this forum, and the support and information that's fielded to us in daily mail. It's hit the spot all month long....and that includes hearing everyone's thoughts here too!

Jenna-You've got me thinking-I'm not sure what my 'one' type of food would be for reintroduction yet....I think because my body has been slow and steady to feel better, there's a part of me thinking even 'one' thing might set me back...and maybe if I continue like this, I'll see even more improvement next month.

Betsie-n-I'm with you on the dairy. I think that's probably a big one for me to continue forgoing. I also think sugar (other than fruit) is going to stay off my list too. Gluten and soy have already been out of my diet, but I think all the 'gluten free' products can be a slippery slope, and I've been glad to omit them this month too.

Sandy

Yes, there's a huge difference between gluten free and gluten free products!

That's another option Sandy - don't reintroduce anything and keep going for another 14, 21, 30 days to really make sure your body is on the right track! If its working, why change it?

At first, last year, I got sick of my breakfast a few times, and I'd try something else once, maybe twice, but always be drawn back to my mince, eggs and veggie moosh (no other word for it really!). Sometimes a bit of confirmation is also a great thing! Let us know how the breakfast experimentation goes! 

Hi ladies- I forgot to check in last night and missed everyone! :)

Reintroductions must be on all our minds- can you believe it's day 25? Possibly a little sugar- not to the level of eating candy/junk, but relaxing a little if we go out and the restaurant's chicken seasoning has sugar in it (looking at you, Panera!). I'm not much of a milk drinker any longer, but do enjoy cheese, and cream with my coffee. I surprised myself by how easy it was to go without cheese for a month, so I can probably cut most of that out. I am slowly adjusting to coconut cream with my coffee. It's been 2 days in a row now, and it's slowly growing on me; the first cup a few weeks ago was so bad I couldn't drink it (cinnamon flavored coffee), but it hasn't been as offensive with regular coffee. :P

I drink rarely- so no rush to reintroduce alcohol. A little dark chocolate would be nice though!

Archived