July 14 Support Thread

peacefrog

I, too, am experiencing bored taste buds. Also, they say most people drop around day 10, so we gotta stay strong! I THOUGHT i was seeing an energy boost, but I think I lost it :( Question: I searched the "can I have" but didn't see about the flavored San Pelligrino....anyone know? I know you can use fruit juice to sweeten things, but......? Specifically, I have heard the blood orange is good and was thinking that might be a nice treat :)

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm really surprised by how well I'm doing - my guess is the cravings are going to kick in like crazy, but they haven't yet (unless you count Diet Coke, or frankly, any carbonated beverage that doesn't taste like club soda!)

I'm super lucky to have co-workers who are genuinely supportive.  in fact one bought the book, and is looking at doing it herself.

Last nights dinner was one of the best yet - simple roasted broccoli, and steak BBQ in a coconut aminos marinade (aminos, oil, salt, pepper, onions, garlic), with a non-dairy pesto for dipping.

For lunches, I'm doing tuna salad, carrots and ranch (mayo was homemade, took 1 minute, and then i used that to make the dressing)

AND, I finally got almond butter made (turns out my cuisinart needed a new blade!), but still not sure if I like it or not.

I do feel like meal planning, meal prep, and cleanup are my new full time jobs!

Ditto on the meal prep and cleanup.  I need to somehow get more organized on the meal prep and cleanup.  I have a dishwasher but it still feel like I am forever doing dishes.  :-(

I cannot find coconut aminos anywhere in the town I live in.  I miss soy sauce.  Can anyone comment on if it is worth it to mail order the product?

Thanks,
Jamie

Thanks for the idea of ginger tea and bananas! I'm having an aversion to eggs right now-had been eating them scrambled with spinach and mushrooms in them. Need some ideas for protein for breakfast. I'm really torn on doing something like sausage because of the studies talking about higher rates of illness with frequent processed meats in one's diet.

StacyK - I would suggest eating whatever protein sounds good for you at breakfast. Leftovers from the previous day are the easiest - even if it's not a traditional breakfast "meat" - you can have roasted or grilled chicken or some tuna, shrimp, etc.- whatever you like.

Oh, I tried Nom Nom Paleo's spicy tuna cakes this week and find them appetizing at breakfast, too - if you like tuna.

If you want to have breakfast meat, search out the higher end type with no nitrates, uncured, etc. so it's less processed. Applegate Farms and I think I've seen people talk about Peterson's (or maybe it's Pederson's?) brand.

Betsie

Gypsy - are you looking for a soda taste or sensation replacement because nothing else is doing it for you right now? My instinct would be to say that that is SYPWO (bad psychological response potential). Boredom is one thing I've had to learn how to deal with better - I've noticed is a huge trigger for hunger and food cravings and now I'm really mindful of not just feeding myself when I get bored. Boredom isn't life threatening - you can just ignore it or do something else (something I have to remind myself!).

Totally with you all on the washing up situation. I have been having this problem for over a year! I think my main challenge is that I don't care enough to come up with a system to manage it, I'd prefer to do it when we get desperate (what? no forks??) and use my time for fun things. Which washing up is not! :)

flavored San Pelligrino....anyone know? I know you can use fruit juice to sweeten things, but......? Specifically, I have heard the blood orange is good and was thinking that might be a nice treat :)

The flavored San Pellegrino is a no go on a Whole30, as it contains sweetener.

Plain pellegrino with a fresh squeezed lemon or lime works.  :)

Miscellaneous things I've discovered:

For those of you bored with recipes, check out the Well Fed Cookbooks and clothesmakethegirl.com.

I found an app called 'Recipe Box' for around $3.99 and have been adding recipes I'm interested in trying from these sources. It creates grocery lists and is easy to use. One of my goals is to make 2 new recipes each week so I'm building a good resource for my new lifestyle.

Albertson's, which is my grocery store, has fajita veggies already julienned - red, yellow. and green peppers and red and white onions. I buy one package each week and use these in my eggs and meat dishes. They also have a prepackaged assortment of veggies that include a few pieces of each of cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, two kinds of zucchini, pea pods, red and green and yellow peppers, and red onions. This is so nice because I'm not wasting and I just chop whatever I feel like from this assortment for my meals. Yesterday, I used two pieces of each with canned chicken, olive oil mayo, and some homemade dressing. I chilled it and served over spinach leaves with 1/2 avocado. Delicious and had a nice crunch that I liked.

Also I found frozen veggies at Costco called 'Stir Fry Vegetable Blend'. I remove the baby corn cobs and steam the rest with ghee and serve with any protein. For dinner tonight I'll have steamed veggies and pan-fried salmon cooked in coconut oil with ground pepper - so good! Hope this helps!

I had my first food dream last night. I was handing a cookie to someone and the edge of it broke off. I instinctively just ate it- then was in tears about ruining my Whole 30. Then debated eating the entire cookie. LOL! It took me a bit when I woke up to realize I didn't actually do that. ;)

I'm trying to wrap up a long work day and having a craving for sweets. I think I put a little too much balsamic in my salad today, and it's just sitting a little funny right now. I decided to go make a cup of tea and walked into the break room to grab some hot water. Low and behold, there is 1/2 a sheet cake sitting there across from the water cooler just taunting me. I behaved of course- and now enjoying my tea instead. Cravings be damned!

Tonight's dinner plan is pork chops with sweet potato hash. Carbonated water with a little lemon sounds really good right now.

Jenna-I had to look up what SAD diet meant....Yes...I've had a standard American diet until now. What a big change in the quantity of veggies...I used to think I wanted to eat 'the rainbow of foods' throughout the day...now it's a rainbow at most meals! It's gotta be a positive change, no doubt.

Hey, and I read about your struggles (and now success!) with your health. Congrats, and thanks for sharing your testimonial with us...sweet inspiration.

Sandy

Ditto on the meal prep and cleanup.  I need to somehow get more organized on the meal prep and cleanup.  I have a dishwasher but it still feel like I am forever doing dishes.  :-(

I cannot find coconut aminos anywhere in the town I live in.  I miss soy sauce.  Can anyone comment on if it is worth it to mail order the product?

Thanks,

Jamie

I think it is, especially if you like marinated meats.  Amazon should have it.

Feeling like a long day...honestly, to vent just a bit, I'm tired of my hubby's "jokes" about our different diets...he is continuing on with his diet filled with sugar and everything else...and I'm not asking him to change, but geesh, just give me some credit for making positive changes. I know it's his defense mechanism...but lord, this is hard. I think I have been a good sport...on the way home yesterday, I stopped for him to get chinese food--and he ate cream cheese wontons in the car! Really, he is a good guy...but has his food demons that he's not dealing with.

And hell ya, I would love a bowl of ice cream...but I'm not caving.  <_<

I can't speak for Gypsy, but for me, the desire for a soda or other carbonated beverage has mostly to do with total boredom with water.  And I hate coffee and tea, so I'm screwed there.

There's hope! I used to hate tea, but now I love it (10 mos. Paleo)! I started by trying different flavors and just got used to it. I can't go to bed without my chamomile tea now. Of course it was easier to learn to like it when I could have raw honey in it, but adding lemon or coconut milk helps, too.

Feeling like a long day...honestly, to vent just a bit, I'm tired of my hubby's "jokes" about our different diets...he is continuing on with his diet filled with sugar and everything else...and I'm not asking him to change, but geesh, just give me some credit for making positive changes. I know it's his defense mechanism...but lord, this is hard. I think I have been a good sport...on the way home yesterday, I stopped for him to get chinese food--and he ate cream cheese wontons in the car! Really, he is a good guy...but has his food demons that he's not dealing with.

And hell ya, I would love a bowl of ice cream...but I'm not caving.  <_<

Well, you're having quite the test, aren't you! My husband was a bit the same when I first started. He also whined about what I stopped buying, like bread. I didn't object to him buying it, but I stopped enabling him. Over time, he's mostly adopted my diet and is a huge proponent of being grain free because he feels so much better now. He still whines about it, but not as loudly. Hopefully when your hubs sees your positive changes paying off, he'll come around and join you.

Hang in there! You are doing great!

A few good recipes / tips to share:

Cilantro coconut shrimp soup; http://stiritup.me/?p=6311

Nice summer soup. Fast prep and cook in one pan!

Slow cooker sticky drumsticks: www.creativelydomestic.com/2009/10/slow-cooker-sticky-chicken-drumsticks.html

Weekly fav at my house. Do the veg on the bottom option mentioned in the update, using any thick veg you like (we use carrot, potato, onion, celery) and I half it to make five drumsticks for two of us. Chicken doesn't end up goofy like it can in crockpot recipes.

Make ahead salad: make up a big batch of salad greens, carrots, cucumbers, radishes, etc. and store in an air tight container with a paper towel on top under the lid to collect moisture. Large mason jars are nice, too. Leave out squishy ingredients, like tomatoes, until you're ready to eat. Easy to grab a handful a of salad to go with meals.

No oven baked potatoes: bake potatoes in the crockpot. Could do white or sweet. I wash, dry, drizzle with olive oil and salt, then wrap in foil. Bake in crockpot on high for about 3 hours, depending on size. I assume this would work for other root veg, like beets, turnips, etc. nice way to bake ahead, then up in fridge for fast food prep later.

Lara bars: for emergency food, these are good to have on hand. Read the labels as some are not compliant. Be careful not to let them be your new candy or granola bar fix! I keep one in my purse and car for emergencies, but not in the house, lol.

I can't speak for Gypsy, but for me, the desire for a soda or other carbonated beverage has mostly to do with total boredom with water.  And I hate coffee and tea, so I'm screwed there. 

Jen, I hear you! I had carbonated water tonight and squeezed half a lime into it. It hit the spot. I start to feel a bit water logged by the end of the day, even before Whole 30, since it's almost all I drink. :P

Jenn2011- I had a whole30 dream too but mine was about waiting forever to park and stand in line at this amazing latte cafe and then I had my latte and knew I couldn't drink it...it felt tragic at the time! If anything our brains are taking this in full force if it's in our dreams, right? Oh I hope so :)

Keep the great recipes coming! One of my first meals was marinating small cut up chicken breast in balsamic for and hour and cooking in pan. It was great with salad (+olive oil and fixings)or a snack or with veggies.

Starting day 5 tomorrow and plan to crock pot carnitas. The slow cooker is my new best friend--but I do need to be better about freezing some ASAP ( just dumped a chicken sausage recipe that would have been nice done the road) so glad to have summer off b/c food prep is way more fun when not working!

I am getting sick of water....lemon helps. So I guess orange squirt in water is probably good? Any other liquid ideas?

A few good recipes / tips to share:

Cilantro coconut shrimp soup; http://stiritup.me/?p=6311

Nice summer soup. Fast prep and cook in one pan!

Slow cooker sticky drumsticks: www.creativelydomestic.com/2009/10/slow-cooker-sticky-chicken-drumsticks.html

Weekly fav at my house. Do the veg on the bottom option mentioned in the update, using any thick veg you like (we use carrot, potato, onion, celery) and I half it to make five drumsticks for two of us. Chicken doesn't end up goofy like it can in crockpot recipes.

Make ahead salad: make up a big batch of salad greens, carrots, cucumbers, radishes, etc. and store in an air tight container with a paper towel on top under the lid to collect moisture. Large mason jars are nice, too. Leave out squishy ingredients, like tomatoes, until you're ready to eat. Easy to grab a handful a of salad to go with meals.

No oven baked potatoes: bake potatoes in the crockpot. Could do white or sweet. I wash, dry, drizzle with olive oil and salt, then wrap in foil. Bake in crockpot on high for about 3 hours, depending on size. I assume this would work for other root veg, like beets, turnips, etc. nice way to bake ahead, then up in fridge for fast food prep later.

Lara bars: for emergency food, these are good to have on hand. Read the labels as some are not compliant. Be careful not to let them be your new candy or granola bar fix! I keep one in my purse and car for emergencies, but not in the house, lol.

Thanks for the tip on the Lara Bars. I hadn't looked at those before. I've been doing well during the week, but we have a get-together with friends at the fair Saturday and a birthday party Sunday. One of those and some almonds might be a good option since I won't be anywhere near a fridge for hours.

Last post for the night I promise!

We're heading out camping the weekend after next. I'm still a novice camper, this will only be my 3rd time as an adult, and 1st time on Whole 30. I'm still building up my camp kitchen supplies, and don't have a lot just yet (single burner stove, stock pot, grill pan, and a dutch oven). I plan to stay on my Whole 30 of course, but I'm at a loss for what to eat. We'll have a cooler, though not a huge one (no room in the car!), so refrigeration options are limited. I've had this on the calendar for a few months and didn't even think about it when I picked the day to start Whole 30. Oops!

Any experienced campers out there? You'll make me a happy camper! ;)

Jen I hear you on the drink craving! I have tried adding lime to carbonated water and that is helping a little but like you I don't normally drink tea. I'm going to give ice lemon tea a shot and see how that goes.

Can anyone help me out with workout recovery food/drink? I'm on day 9 and the last 3 times I have been out for a run my legs have been so heavy I can't make it through a 3 mile run without walking!! I would normally have a chocolate milk straight after an early morning run. I also get up and run straight away so running on an empty stomach - never bothered me before so think it has to be the change in diet. Any tips greatly appreciated as I love exercise and don't want it to be hindered.

Thanks

I'm really surprised by how well I'm doing - my guess is the cravings are going to kick in like crazy, but they haven't yet (unless you count Diet Coke, or frankly, any carbonated beverage that doesn't taste like club soda!)

I'm super lucky to have co-workers who are genuinely supportive.  in fact one bought the book, and is looking at doing it herself.

Last nights dinner was one of the best yet - simple roasted broccoli, and steak BBQ in a coconut aminos marinade (aminos, oil, salt, pepper, onions, garlic), with a non-dairy pesto for dipping.

For lunches, I'm doing tuna salad, carrots and ranch (mayo was homemade, took 1 minute, and then i used that to make the dressing)

AND, I finally got almond butter made (turns out my cuisinart needed a new blade!), but still not sure if I like it or not.

I do feel like meal planning, meal prep, and cleanup are my new full time jobs!

I like almond butter from the store better than the stuff I make.  I am not sure if I don't add enough salt, or roast the nuts long enough but it tastes bland.  I get 100% almond butter from TJ and WF and it is awesome . you may want to try it.

Good Morning, everyone. Made sweet potato hash with cinnamon and chipotle seasoning this morning. Had it with some avocado, and of course my morning cup of joe, with coconut milk. Very satisfying. Planning to make muffin cup frittatas with the leftover hash so breakfast is ready for the rest of the week. Betsie, the coconut shrimp soup recipe sounds great...

I really was surprised my husband was so enthusiastic about jumping into this with me. He loves to cook up a storm on weekends, but it turns out, as long as I keep the recipes coming he's happy to cook whatever! He even said last night.."thanks for taking care of us with the whole 30 thing"...very cool. But honestly, it makes more sense to me that people come around to things in their own time. Look at us....the whole foods movement isn't exactly new....we found when we needed it, I guess. So Jenn..my hat goes off to you. Hang in there (Chinese food wafting under your nose and all, man, that's tough...). Keep that resolve to feel good....

I have a very simple question...who knows how to crisply slice an egg? I'm ok with onions, but I smush eggs into a crumbled mess! (We had a kale and beet salad with hard-boiled eggs last night.)

Sandy

Sandy-I would think one of those egg slicers would work to make nice slices.

For those of you bored with your drink options...I would recommend making water kefir-it is whole30 compliant when I looked it up (the thought is most of the sugar is fermented out.) The longer it ferment the sweetness goes away and if you go too long it can taste like vinegar). If you get the swing top bottles to do the 2nd ferment it becomes fizzy like soda and is very refreshing/festive. There are recipes on Pinterest and great resources on learning how (it's easy) and where to get the "grains" (that is what they are called-they are not a grain at all) are on Facebook--"kefir grains, Skoby and others to share".

I did use some uncured bacon, mushrooms and cherry tomatoes in my egg today and much better! I also found that the white potatoes are "working" for me to be able to take my medicine :-)

Archived