July 14 Support Thread

peacefrog

Made Zucchini Boats for dinner today :) Recipe is for 6.  I put shredded cheese on it to get my kids to eat it.  Just make sure you read the tomato past labels.

1 lb grass-fed ground beef 1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced

1⁄4 cup almond flour

1⁄4 cup tomato paste
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme

1⁄2 teaspoon salt
1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
6 medium zucchini, cut in half lengthwise

Preheat oven to 350°F. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add ground beef, onion and garlic to skillet; cook 5 minutes or until beef is no longer pink, stirring to crumble. Transfer beef mixture to a bowl; mix in almond flour, tomato paste, thyme, salt and pepper. Scoop pulp out of zucchini halves. Stuff beef mixture evenly into zucchini. Place zucchini halves on a baking dish. Bake 25 minutes or until zucchini boats are tender.

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still dealing with a headache in Day 3, but it has diminished some--enough to give me hope that this too shall pass!

I noticed today and last night that about a half hour after I ate my chia pudding (made with chia seeds, banana, and coconut cream) that my perpetual gut ache was more noticeable. Anyone have any experience with any of those 3 food items causing trouble? This treat has really been a fave, but I wonder if I should eliminate each of these foods (one be one)...or is it too early for that?

Where do you find kambucha?

I found mine at a higher end grocery near me (Kroger) in the refrigerator section of their orgnic/natural foods. I am sure Whole Foods or Trader Joes also carries it! I get the GT's brand.

Day three so far so good. Felt great this morning but starting to get a headache tonight. Not sure what that's about. Breakfast was mashed cauliflower and meatballs! Actually very good and filling if not traditional "breakfast" food. Lunch was chicken salad made with homemade mayo and apples! Used balsamic vinegar and it was awesome! Dinner was Kalua Pork from NomNom paleo and more mashed cauliflowerd If you have a crockpot I would highly recommend thid recipe! Still struggling some with portion size. I think I need to eat more but after years of portion control it's hard! Going to snack on some carrots and tomatoes and some slivered almonds.

With regards to spaghetti squash, do you guys have a way to prepare it so it doesn't end up watery? I find it very very watery when I use it with spaghetti sauce, which is my favorite food in the whole freakin' world.

I prefer spiralized zuchinni. I lightly saute it in a pan so it's still al dente. For me, makes a better "spaghetti."

I usually spiral about four zuchinni, and that'll last me 3 or 4 days between things like zoodle pasta salad, a hot zoodle dish, and then just tossing in a few strands with whatever I'm making.

Made it through Day 3! Had the predictable headache, which was helped by drinking lots of water. I bought ingredients to make 'Triple Meat Italian Meatballs', which I found on TGIPaleo.com, that I plan to freeze. Also, ingredients for 'Omelet Muffins' that you cook and freeze in cupcake liners. I'm also making more of Melissa's 'Olive Oil Mayo' that is so good. Tomorrow is my baking day! I'm enjoying reading everyone's meal plans as I'm getting some great ideas!

I subscribed to the daily support newsletter and found it very helpful. I like the daily accountability!

Still dealing with a headache in Day 3, but it has diminished some--enough to give me hope that this too shall pass!

I noticed today and last night that about a half hour after I ate my chia pudding (made with chia seeds, banana, and coconut cream) that my perpetual gut ache was more noticeable. Anyone have any experience with any of those 3 food items causing trouble? This treat has really been a fave, but I wonder if I should eliminate each of these foods (one be one)...or is it too early for that?

I don't do well with many coconut products.  When I did my Whole30 last year I used a lot of coconut milk, coconut flakes and it all gave me tummy troubles.  This time I am only going to use coconut milk in a curry or sauce, no more consuming it straight up or more than a tablespoon or two at a time.

Hope that helps!

Day 4 already, can you beleive it?   I love the feeling of freedom from crap food...really, it does not make me feel good and I love having a reason not to eat it.  I also love the yummy food that I make, so much more fun to look forward to great meals vs the random combo of stuff I used to eat grazing all day.

Someone mentioned eating enough fat - it is KEY!!!    Go look at a post from marksdailyapple.com about fat intake....you want most of your calories to be from fat....eating just protien and vegetables is not enough to sustain, you need a long burning fuel, fat is perfect!   Having a half or whole avocado (I have a whole one when I eat tuna or meal with little fat) is totally ok, your brain/ headache is the first place you will feel a lack of fat.

Have a great day!

I found mine at a higher end grocery near me (Kroger) in the refrigerator section of their orgnic/natural foods. I am sure Whole Foods or Trader Joes also carries it! I get the GT's brand.

Oh to have Whole Foods or Trader Joes.....  both are 50 miles away.  We do have King Soopers -- which is Kroger so I will look there.  We also have a tiny Natural Grocers so maybe they have it.  Its a little tough to try to be organic in a small town or find uncommon things....   ;)   Maybe I'll have to drive 50 miles and stock up.

With regards to spaghetti squash, do you guys have a way to prepare it so it doesn't end up watery? I find it very very watery when I use it with spaghetti sauce, which is my favorite food in the whole freakin' world.

I prefer spiralized zuchinni. I lightly saute it in a pan so it's still al dente. For me, makes a better "spaghetti."

I usually spiral about four zuchinni, and that'll last me 3 or 4 days between things like zoodle pasta salad, a hot zoodle dish, and then just tossing in a few strands with whatever I'm making.

For spaghetti squash -- I saw a video tutorial on either theclothesmakethegirl.com or nomnompaleo.com -- that explained one way to cook it.  I split it in half, scoop out the seeds.  Then I put in on a cookie sheet, face down (the side you eat being the face).  I add about 1/2 cup of water on the cookie sheet.  The I place it in a 350 or 375 oven until its soft.  Maybe 40 mins?  

It does tend to water up when I microwave it later to heat it up.  If it stir fry it in ghee or coconut oil it seems to be much less watery.

Hope that helps!

Jamie

Another day in the books! Woohoo!  :D

Today's victory: Sitting at a meeting table for hours at work --with a bag of chocolate chip cookies in the center and I was NOT tempted. Well, not enough to give this up!

What was your victory?

Hi Risa -

Great job resisting the cookies!  My victory was reaping the result of cooking ahead of time.  Made dinner last night very quick and easy.  I made cubed mexican beef and coleslaw from nomnompaleo.com.  It was SO good and my family even liked the beef.  Here's to NOT being a short order cook for the other people in my house that refuse to do whole30.

Jamie

Well, this morning is interesting. 
The Day 3 description sent to us describes my bummer of a sleep last night.. This spring my allergies became much worse for some reason, especially at night...(primary reason (among others) for me jumping onto whole 30). I hope what was said about 'even allergies get worse before they get better during the Whole 30' turns out true!

Did you all see the news on bringing back white potatoes to the W30? http://whole30.com/2014/07/new-whole30/

Confession: after being Paleo for nearly a year, I already chose to ignore the potato rule on my W30 (my only rebellion!) beause I have found I need more resistant starch in my diet. I'm glad that the W30 team has agreed so I don't have to be a rule-breaker anymore :rolleyes:

The Day 3 description sent to us describes my bummer of a sleep last night.. This spring my allergies became much worse for some reason, especially at night...(primary reason (among others) for me jumping onto whole 30). I hope what was said about 'even allergies get worse before they get better during the Whole 30' turns out true!

I have trouble with allergies, too. I use a few teas to help: Nettle tea and Holy Basil tea - they are natural anti-allergens. I also started drinking apple cider vinegar with some water daily (start with like a tsp and work up to more - about a shot - and drink on a full tummy) and it seems to help my symptoms. Also, I use a saline nasal rinse to get the allergens out of my sinuses. The detoxing your body is doing right now is causing inflammation, but it will get better. Drink your water!

Hope you feel better soon.

Day 4 is here! Yay! Going good so far, except for sleep. The last three nights I have not slept well. I fall asleep for an hour or two, then toss and turn the rest of the night, until morning, when I desperately want to stay in bed. Not sure why, but it stinks. :( oh well.

Have a fabulous day, everyone!!

Did you all see the news on bringing back white potatoes to the W30? http://whole30.com/2014/07/new-whole30/

Confession: after being Paleo for nearly a year, I already chose to ignore the potato rule on my W30 (my only rebellion!) beause I have found I need more resistant starch in my diet. I'm glad that the W30 team has agreed so I don't have to be a rule-breaker anymore :rolleyes:

Yusssssssssssssss!

I am happy to hear white potatoes are in.  Gives me another option for feeding the entire family since I'm the only one doing Whole30.  I can see where you can go wrong with them though.... chips, fries, etc.  

On Facebook I saw a lot of negativity on this announcement..."why did you do that?", "stupid move" on so on....  REALLY?!?  Grow up people, if someone thinks white potatoes are bad on whole30, then they should just leave them out.  No one is saying you HAVE to eat them.    If white potatoes make you sad, ignore them.

Ok, rant over.....   :P  :D

Jamie

Yes it does. I had and now have problems with my allergies (day 4) but by the end I had stopped having to take my allergy medicine. I could also tolerate cats & dogs better than I could before

Today, I made my first batch of homemade mayo (SUPER easy w/an immersion blender, took less than a minute), and then immediately made my first batch of ranch dressing.  Things are going well for both the hubs and I - but damn, the food prep is BRUTAL!  But the hubs is helping (for the first time since I've known him), and the kids are being supportive.  So so far, so good!

I really feel like crap today. I am also getting an eye infection. I may have to go to the doctors tomorrow or urgent care if it gets worse. I was feeling somewhat better yesterday but not today. I also no appear to be getting an eye infections.

I am having really bad cravings today for fast food and a cocktail. I want to just lay around and watch TV while I gorge myself with bad food. I am having a tantrum today. The sweet potato has helped with the cravings. Thanks everyone for posting it really helps me keep on track. I am just going to put one foot in front of the other and know that this too will pass. Although I REALLY want a cheese burger with French fries :huh: 

bacon, ½ scramble egg, ¾ C peas

Beef broth

Lamb meatballs & green beans

Ground beef & sweet potatoes

Turkey veggie soup

Mix green salad w/ shredded chicken & turkey

Archived