My Whole30 Log

kcarey7

Day 1: 

I posted my intro here. Here is my log for today.

Last night, I went to Wegmans with my boyfriend and stocked up on some Whole30 approved stuff. I got some meat (organic, grass fed beef sirloin... organic chicken wings... and fish). I am not making an overly huge change in my diet from the paleo diet I was doing before, but now I have rules! Rules! I am a list person. So I will make some lists. 

Things I will miss:

Chocolate

Parmesan cheese

All of the candy I make! (see intro, I am a baker by profession)

Soy milk

So far today I have eaten:

Breakfast: Avocado, chicken, and peach slices

Lunch: Steak (cooked in olive oil and spices), broccoli, and the rest of my peach

Dinner: Tuna steak, arugula, a peach (I went a little peach crazy today... sugar craving)

How I am feeling: 

Tired, sore from my workout, and I have a headache. I'm kind of grouchy.

My thoughts:

I hope my family cooks something tonight that I can eat, but I know they will not. I am preparing myself to be angry already. I need to try not to be angry. 

I'll be back! Yay for day two coming tomorrow.

Welcome to whole30!

When I read your list of items you will miss, it put a smile on my face, and made me realize how far I have come in 35 days. I, like you, was convinced that chocolate and cheese would be ever so missed. Actually before starting with this scientific experiment (dislike word diet or program) I don't remember a day spent without either cheese or chocolate in my mouth, and guess what? Not a single time did I miss any of it, nor did I feel after my first 30 days I will have to indulge. As if I got brainwashed or something. I may not be a baker or a confiseur by trade, but I sure was convinced that as a born Swiss, it was part of my DNA. You will be like this little engine that could... Go through the whole30, and realize they are things out there that make your taste buds go "wow" ...

Be positive, stay strong, and share your experience on this forum. It helps a great deal. Good luck....

Welcome to whole30!

When I read your list of items you will miss, it put a smile on my face, and made me realize how far I have come in 35 days. I, like you, was convinced that chocolate and cheese would be ever so missed. Actually before starting with this scientific experiment (dislike word diet or program) I don't remember a day spent without either cheese or chocolate in my mouth, and guess what? Not a single time did I miss any of it, nor did I feel after my first 30 days I will have to indulge. As if I got brainwashed or something. I may not be a baker or a confiseur by trade, but I sure was convinced that as a born Swiss, it was part of my DNA. You will be like this little engine that could... Go through the whole30, and realize they are things out there that make your taste buds go "wow" ...

Be positive, stay strong, and share your experience on this forum. It helps a great deal. Good luck....

Thank you!!!!! I didn't see the whole post from my phone, but it was nice to come on and see this just now. Day two was a success, I'm about to post about it now in my log. I did crave chocolate all day long. It didn't help that my brother went to Hershey Park a few weeks ago and brought home a ton of chocolate. But I am feeling good and happy today -- :-) 

Day 2:

Today I got up and did my workout, and came back and made breakfast for myself. Then, I watched some of my TV show, and then got in the kitchen and started baking for my farmers markets (I am a baker by profession and sell my products at local farmers markets). I stopped to make lunch, I went to the farmers market, I came home and had dinner. I was impressed with my family's effort to understand the W30 program, but unfortunately they didn't really read very closely.... potatoes were cooked in butter, and they had edamame... but grilled meats were good. I ended up making myself a really good steak salad. This was a better effort on their part than last night, where they cooked PASTA and CHEESE and NITRATE FILLED SAUSAGE. I swear, it was intentionally to make me mad. I have been pretty irrational and irritable and angry... just ask my boyfriend. Unfortunately he has gotten the brunt of it. But make no mistake, I am happy I am doing this and I am 2 days down now! 

Breakfast:

Avocado, mango, cashews

Lunch:

Steak, watermelon

Dinner: 

Steak (again lol), arugala, zucchini, nuts

How I'm feeling:

Annoyed with other people when they eat things I can't ("OH but this is SOOOO good! Can't you just have a small bite? You don't need to be on a diet!")

Happy that I am feeling good

Proud of myself for still going even though people are getting in my way. 

I'll be back tomorrow! Yay! 

Thanks for commenting, Abby. I need all the help I can get. Breakfast has always been a struggle for me... I HATE eggs. I have tried them every way possible, but I'm going to try again to choke them down tomorrow, because I know I need the protein. I had planned on doing bacon in the mornings, but the bacon I got at my farmers market has sugar in it. Do you have any suggestions? I'm gonna try to do better tomorrow... 

You don't need to eat eggs for breakfast... You can do any other protein you would eat for lunch or dinner. Try chicken, ground beef, turkey, smoked salmon, tuna,prosciutto (people seem to find sugarless version of it everywhere).

I no longer call my meals the traditional way because of the association of certain food items with that terminology. Meal 1, 2, and 3 opened so many new ways of eating. Weird looking for the bystander, but sure a great way for my brain to forget about bread, jelly, pancakes and all those things.

Thanks for commenting, Abby. I need all the help I can get. Breakfast has always been a struggle for me... I HATE eggs. I have tried them every way possible, but I'm going to try again to choke them down tomorrow, because I know I need the protein. I had planned on doing bacon in the mornings, but the bacon I got at my farmers market has sugar in it. Do you have any suggestions? I'm gonna try to do better tomorrow... 

The only place I've found sugar-free bacon is at Whole Foods, but you might be luckier.  Fresh Market didn't have SF bacon, but they did have compliant chicken sausage.

One thing that's gotten me past eggs for breakfast is the blueberry tortilla recipe here.  I halve the recipe though, because four eggs are just too much for me to eat!  I also sautee asparagus to go with it, and it's a great meal where you're not choking down eggs. 

Archived