Started on July 22 - Feeling Super icky

lreed67

Hi everyone, on my fifth day.  I know that I am in the midst of sugar withdrawls, but I need help.

I tried searching in the forum, but I just don't have the energy right now to weed thru it all. :unsure:

My prior diet was pretty healthy with more fruit, no gluten, but grains such as quinoa and brown rice, some gf bread too and of course some ice cream! :P

Been on the program, nothing not allowed for the first 5 days. 

Sample food:

Breakfast 6:00 am

2 eggs in coconut oil, supergreens

coffee w/ coconut milk and a little coconut oil

Smoothie  9: 00am

water, kale, spinach, ginger, beets, 1/4 c blueberries, 1/4 banana

Lunch 12:00

5 oz chicken breast, 10 brussel sprouts, 2 spears zucchini, 1/2 beet

Snack

packet of raw almond butter

Dinner:

Flank Steak,  cabbage slaw with vinegar, oil, lemon, broccoli, some diced sweet potatoe

Water 80-100 oz per day

So I am really lethargic, (which I know is expected for first 1-2 weeks) and have a headache which I also know is expected, but in the morning I am completely nauseous and dizzy.  The nauseous and dizzy is throwing me a bit.

Does anything above look out of whack to you?

Thanks!

Hi there.

Meals look ok. I'd increase your protein at breakfast. When eggs are your protein, the serving size is the number of whole eggs you can hold in one hand. For most folks, that's at least 3-4.  Did you have a fat at lunch?

Smoothies are discouraged on a Whole30.  The idea is to chew your food vs. drink it, as chewing is more satiating.  If you're genuinely hungry between meals (litmus test: you could eat something bland like steamed fish and broccoli), have a mini meal containing a protein and fat.  So, for the almond butter snack, the almond butter is your fat - add at least a protein to that.

Try increasing the starchy vegetables at your meals and see if that helps your energy. Have the whole beet instead of 1/2 a beet, and the whole sweet potato, for example.

Portion size, play with your protein, veg and fat portions at your meals to create meals that satiate you for 4-5 hours.

Also, are you getting 8 hours of sleep nightly?

• Moderators

I think you are not eating enough. Compare what you are eating to the meal planning template - http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf - and see if you don't need to increase your intake of protein, fat, and veggies. 

You are especially light on fat and that is not a good thing. Smoothies are not helpful as they digest faster than whole foods. Yours lacks anywhere near enough fat. 

If you eat more, especially when you are in the hard part like you are now, you are likely to feel a little better.

Great,  thank you both for the quick responses!  I will add more fat to the diet, and load a bit more protein and starchy veggies in to the diet. Super helpful.  My smoothie is made with a vitamix, so its the whole veggie, not just the juice, but I will play with not having that as well.  It was an easier way for me to get more veggies into my diet while on the way to work in the car.

I am getting pretty close to 8 hours of sleep, but am finding it's super hard to get to sleep (which hasn't been a problem in the past) also I am getting up for the bathroom at least twice a nite, so I think I might have to cut a bit back on water in the evening.

Again really appreciate the help! :D :D :D

Something that helped me with sleep was to make sure I got some carbs in my evening meal. Sounds like your sleep trouble is probably your H2O intake like you said but during my total30 I had insomnia a couple nights (which I NEVER have) and adding the carbs, particularly in the evening really helped. As the book states, rarely can you eat "too much" on this program, often you need to increase your protein, fats, etc. I know was husband was having a difficult time at first and I kept telling him to "eat more" But he had to break that mentality of "eat less to lose weight" Good Luck!

Archived