I am new to Whole30, currently on day 6. In the rules it states vinegar is allowed

but all the vinegars I have (balsamic, red, white) contain sulphites.

Are there brands that are acceptable? (Australia) or should I continue to

avoid completely?

• Moderators

This is a tricky part. Fermenting grapes produces sulphites naturally. Vinegar that contains naturally occurring sulphites are okay to consume during a Whole30. The problem is anything with ADDED sulphites. Sulphites serve as a preservative, so vendors sometimes add them to products to keep them from spoiling for longer periods. These added sulphites are a problem. 

So when you look at the label, if it says "contains naturally occurring sulphites" or something similar, you are okay. If the ingredients lists sulphites as added, then that product is not okay. 

I do things like look at every product in a grocery store periodically. I learned to do that years ago from my brother who managed grocery stores when I was growing up. When I look at vinegars in the United States, I always find some that have naturally occurring sulphites and some where it is added. The cheaper products are often the ones with added sulphites, but I always see some modestly priced product that meets Whole30 standards.

Archived