Did you find yourself sweeter and kinder after Whole30 reintro?

MeadowLily

Signs and symptoms.

Binge eating leads to diabetes. Uncontrollable appetite.

Choosing to visualize the skull and crossbones over HFCS... the main offender that made my life a living hail. Death by lack of HFCS seems highly unlikely.  Just like cheetos.  

I've read the 5 Second Rule...not about dropping food on the floor. It's about creating an anchor that you can hold onto before your mind talks you out of positive changes. 

You're supposed to  see the positive result instead of the negative consequences. 

For the food addict, the diabetic and the alcoholic, there is no positive result in using substances that are poison to your body.

For the child, we reinforce how jumping into a tub of hot, scalding water or touching a burner or open oven door will hurt them. 

When  the child is out in public we teach them not to walk off or get into a vehicle with strangers.   We teach them what danger means. It's good parenting and it's not always pretty either.

When we want to go to sleep or relax, we visualize the ocean waves and breezes wafting over our faces.  See the fog rolling in over Frisco Bay and Golden Gate Bridge... rolling back out again when the sun comes up and warms the air.  I've stood there.

golden-gate-bridge-fog-wallpaper-wallpaper-1.jpg

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When  the alcoholic or diabetic is faced with danger, their offenders...when you're right there staring them directly in the eye, you only have 5 seconds or even less to react.

When you're swimming into the sugary sharky waters and there's  HFCS candy to the north and south, east and west - you need the quickest way to achieve a reaction that results in a positive solution to a very negative situation.

Skull and Crossbones.  Hospital bed. Unable to walk, losing limbs and fingers.  It's danger and there is a revulsion because no one wants to go out like that. No one.

When you're at the grocery store or bellying UP to the buffet table loaded to the gills with desserts at your family reunion or social club...who ya gonna call?  Your family members may be caught in the same trance that you are. Mesmerized by sugar, alcohol or something really artificial.

You have to react.   We reinforce danger for our children. They're quick learners.

You have to reinforce your choices and their consequences that will get you nowhere good.

The diabetic and alcoholic has a different set of consequences than someone who can eat tiddlywinks here and there, in dribs and drabs without any measurable uptick in their blood sugar or causing a full blown relapse.

I can't.

There will be days when you have to throw everything up against the wall and utilize every tool in your box to get you through difficult and stressful situations. 

You'll be glad you did when all is said and done.

Choices.

Consequences.

Blowing things off is a habit that leads to procrastination.

Waiting for the perfectly perfect day to start. It only takes one day and one decision. 

Image result for sideways quotes photos pinot

The true essence of the grape is revealed when it's squeezed. 

The body is bent on survival just like a grape.

Take the time to understand your potential and then coax it into its fullest expression.  It will require constant care and attention...learning how to thrive regardless of past neglect. 

You have a unique flavor. Growing grapes is not easy. You can't be thin skinned and tempermental. It requires patience and a good growing environment.

Breathe in inspiration for a mighty rushing flow of information.

Health is a blessing. Not a burden.

Transition to whole foods after a Whole 30. Eat whole foods and the weight will take care of itself.

Paleo peoples who think they can gut out a super low calorie - very food restricted plan in an effort to lose weight quickly - very well intentioned -

Just GIVE ME the darned results NOW!

I will moderate later when the pants fit.

If they can just bring enough willpower to gut it out...

They will learn very little about food issues long term and will be doomed to repeat the weight gain and weight loss cycles.

I get an A+ for not learning for a long time.

Be honest.

How many months have you been struggling by starting and abandoning some brutally brutal health journey lifestyle change diet?

Bodies really need a gradual change otherwise sheer hunger is so overwhelming that you cannot get on that plan and stay there.

This is why so many fail and have to restart after 2 or 3 weeks.  The target range chosen is such a drastic change from what you were eating and the food restriction list is so major or dialed down even further into a subset group of 2 or 3 foods from the original list.

Of course. They're miserable. The body and mind are suffering.

Try gentle change. Gentle permanent change for the big WIN.

Deprivation is the mother of failure.

There is no lasting glory in rapid weight loss.

Rounds and rounds of misery for temporary results.

Shedding pounds by force of will - regaining them and adding more besides.

Food Addiction is a chronic disease of food rewards. I don't reward myself with junk food and multi-crap.

Little changes make big differences. It is the POWER of slight recalibrations.

Don't stock offenders or your Big Kahuna trigger foods at home.  Don't bring them home. It's as simple as that.

Do not eat the offenders on autopilot.

Food we eat compulsively is a poor version of something much better.

In order to understand the passions of the soul and spirit, its functions must be distinguished from the body.

It's one thing to identify the Big Kahuna offenders and it's another thing to manage them.

Master the art of self-deception.  The mental part of well being. The real secrets are mainly in the head.

Love for the Big Kahuna triggers doesn't live here anymore. 

I've been watching a weight 'releasing' transformation show. So dramatic with much surgery.  

I can't watch reconstruction surgeries on tv, I have to cover my eyes and mute until it's over. Just tell me when all is well and the recovery is complete.

I like the entire clan. The trainer is a real gem, too. So sweet and considerate. A true coach and a friend.

As I watch from week after week, I can't help being reminded of the loved one I lost due to WLS. I can't help but think of other relatives in various stages of gaining it all back who went ahead and opted for the WLS.

I watched this person slide off the goose and witnessed the same slippery slope and work arounds that all dieters and WLS patients can fall victim to.

I woke up thinking about this person. The transformation is beautiful but the struggle is real. There's no such thing as the Finish Line.

I am thinking about the family members and the support system that will be required to keep everything in check for the rest of their life. It's almost a full time job.

No names or GPS coordinates. I watched the little one and the ingrained patterns that we inherit from our environment, genetics and chemistry. I can't help thinking about that handwriting on the wall and how history repeats itself.

Now, I'm thinking about that quote in Raising Arizona.

"That night I had a dream. I dreamt I was as light as the ether- a floating spirit visiting things to come. The shades and shadows of the people in my life rassled their way their way into my slumber. I dreamed that Gale and Evelle had decided to return to prison. Probably that's just as well. I don't mean to sound superior, and they're a swell couple of guys, but maybe they weren't ready yet to come out into the world. And then I dreamed on, into the future, to a Christmas morn in the Arizona home where Nathan Junior was opening a present from a kindly couple who preferred to remain unknown. I saw Glen a few years later, still having no luck getting the cops to listen to his wild tales about me and Ed. Maybe he threw in one Polack joke too many. I don't know. And still I dreamed on, further into the future than I had ever dreamed before, watching Nathan Junior's progress from afar, taking pride in his accomplishments as if he were our own. Wondering if he ever thought of us and hoping that maybe we'd broadened his horizons a little even if he couldn't remember just how they got broadened. But still I hadn't dreamt nothing about me and Ed until the end. And this was cloudier cause it was years, years away. But I saw an old couple being visited by their children, and all their grandchildren too. The old couple weren't screwed up. And neither were their kids or their grandkids.

And I don't know. You tell me. This whole dream, was it wishful thinking? Was I just fleeing reality like I know I'm liable to do? But me and Ed, we can be good too. And it seemed real. It seemed like us and it seemed like, well, our home.

If not Arizona, then a land not too far away. Where all parents are strong and wise and capable and all children are happy and beloved. I don't know.

Maybe it was Utah."

A cat's 9th life was saved by the much ballyhooed paleo friendly blue agave tequila.

Remember this fact when you're in a real bind.

"A cat's life was saved with a vodka shot. Vets had to give seven-year-old cat Princess a "vodka drip" to save her from being poisoned by brake fluid. Princess needed 24-hour intensive care and was treated with vodka which worked as an antidote to the poison."

LGO.jpg

A woman's life was saved from disordered eating...eating the same foods in the same ways, the same dog's breakfast and same plate of dogfood every single day for 24 years. 

"A woman who ate chicken nuggets and chips every day for 24 years has been cured of food phobia after an hour of hypnotherapy. Louise Newton, 28, would gag if she tried anything other than her diet of dry cereal, plain bread, crisps, chocolate and her everyday dinner of battered chicken and chips."

A cat's 9th life was saved. Eating the same dog's breakfast and practicing a narrow way of eating puts the body at risk for broken bones, hair loss, and even nerve damage.

Not all disordered eaters are obese or even overweight; 53 percent of dieters  are already at a healthy weight and are putting themselves at risk by attempting to change it. Dieting is about trying to exert control.

Your job may be stressful and your boyfriend out the door, but you can control what you eat and how often you work out. "When a woman who isn't overweight tries to drive her body lower than it wants to go, she could do herself permanent harm," warns the Wilkins Center for eating disorders in Greenwich, Connecticut. Without adequate body fat to supply hormones critical to bone health, you can develop an aggressive, irreversible form of osteoporosis as early as your 20s, leaving you with the easily broken bones more common to women in their 70s. Malnutrition can also cause hair loss, brittle nails and even nerve damage.

Binge eating leads to restricting, fasting and purging.

It's risky. If you habitually push past your satiety boundary, you lose touch with your internal cues and the body's stop signs.

It puts you on the road to a lifetime of binge eating and restricting.

The narrower the way of eating, skipping meals every day can cause more emotional symptoms within hours.

Withholding food and dialing food down into 2 or 3 items leads to more disordered behavior and repeated binges.

Binge eating is eating large quantities of food. Quickly. Feeling completely out of control while doing it.  1 in 4 binge.

Binge eaters eat until they feel sick. Eating an entire pizza in one sitting. Slice after slice in the unconscious mode.

That cycle of binge eating is followed by another cycle of dieting and restricting. Eating narrow bowls of dogfood for punishment.

When you're dieting and restricting, you can't think about anything else.

Dieting causes you to obsess about food - altering the serotonin levels in the brain. Diets of even 1400 cal or less aday can cause depression, anger, pouncing on others and social withdrawal.

Whoa! I feel good, I knew that I would now
I feel good, I knew that I would now
So good, so good, I got you
Whoa! I feel nice, like sugar and spice
I feel nice, like sugar and spice
So nice, so nice, I got you
When I hold you in my arms
I know that I can do no wrong
And when I hold you in my arms
My love won't do you no harm
Much Love. Felicias. Much Love. 

Don't let a day of thrill eating turn into a week.

Don't let a week turn into a month of thrill eating.

Don't let a month turn into a year.

Don't make UP for overeating by undereating or NOT eating.

Remind yourself how far you've come.

Plan each meal.

Revisit your food journal and repeat that awesome week.

Drink water like its your job.

Repeat this tomorrow.

Your body starts to produce more insulin as you age, since your muscle and fat cells aren't responding to it properly," explains  Director of the Obesity Clinic at Cornell.

Insulin promotes fat storage, especially around your belly. A diet high in protein may protect you against insulin resistance.

Eat Protein Like You Mean It.

Eat it first before you change your mind and start eating fruit and nutty bars. 

Eat protein right out of the chute. Today. Don't stop until you get rid of insulin resistance. 

Eat your greens, vege and whole food vege carbs. Add your good fats but do not neglect the protein.  

There is a way without weigh and whey to get rid of that insulin resistance that leads to diabetes.  

Every day that goes by the ground gets colder.  It's April 2nd and it wouldn't matter if it was April 3rd or 4th.  There is no perfectly perfect day to start because all you have is NOW.

Don't let another day slip out of your hands. Tiny steps for tiny feet. Learn how to survive regardless of all of the past neglect.

You don't have another day to throw away, the ground is getting colder.  

Start Today.  Goooooo Cold Turkey.

Don't look to the left or to the right. Keep your eyes on the prize. You're gonna make it out of that living hail of insulin resistance that ruins everything.  

Eat protein like you mean it.  

Drink water like it's your job.  

il_fullxfull.1057799479_k4cs.jpg

Swim out of the sugary sharky waters.

Be a barracuda about your health.

Lean into it and sink your teeth in it.

Don't let anyone or anything deter you.

Let them eat your dust. 

If they want to stop you, drop 'em like a bag of dirt. 

Insulin excursions.

Bouncing in and out of sugar excursions, here a little....there a little

doesn't work for me and it never did.

Food order matters when you're dealing with T1 or T2. 

After a 12-h overnight fast, subjects consumed an isocaloric meal (628 kcal: 55 g protein, 68 g carbohydrate, and 16 g fat) with the same composition on 2 separate days, 1 week apart. During the first visit, the food order was carbohydrate (ciabatta bread and orange juice), followed 15 min later by protein (skinless grilled chicken breast) and vegetables (lettuce and tomato salad with Italian vinaigrette and steamed broccoli with butter); the food order was reversed a week later. Blood was sampled for glucose and insulin measurements at baseline (just before meal ingestion) and 30, 60, and 120 min after the start of the meal.

The mean postmeal glucose levels were decreased by 28.6% (P = 0.001), 36.7% (P = 0.001), and 16.8% (P = 0.03) at 30, 60, and 120 min, respectively, and the incremental area under the curve (iAUC0–120) was 73% lower (2,001 ± 376.9 vs. 7,545 ± 804.4 mg/dL × 120 min, P = 0.001) when vegetables and protein were consumed first, before carbohydrate, compared with the reverse food order (Table 1). Postprandial insulin levels at 60 and 120 min and the iAUC0–120 were also significantly lower when protein and vegetables were consumed first. 

Eat protein like you mean it.

I always eat a protein with fruit and I always eat a protein with nuts. I eat a protein with every meal and I take bites of protein first. Always, always, always.

I always eat a protein with any kind of potato or good  vege carb. Always.

Protein first and the rest following.  This is the backbone of my positive food management plan.  I am fruit and nut loose but not without a protein. I don't eat dried fruit and nutty bars for snacks or meal replacements because they have the same amount of sugar as a snickers bar.  I don't eat snickers or gummy bears or candy for meals.

Your mileage may vary. 

My mileage is based on 3 years without binge eating. Binge eating ususally starts in the young and tender teenage years. There is an abby normal craving for sugar, so much so that it consumes the binge eater's thoughts.

This type of binge eating is the handwriting on the wall for the diabetes that will follow.  There are serious consequences of binge eating, far reaching beyond weight gain. You're messing with your pancreas and you only have one.  When it no longer functions, neither do you.   

I don't practice a bite here and there of any kind of sugars. There comes a time when you have to make a real choice...you're going to live with diabetes for the rest of your life or you're not.  

No one has to live in my body. 

I don't care if Aunt Thelma Lou makes extra special baked goods all year long or for only special occasions. All bakery items contain 3 ingredients.

Sugar, Flour and Fat.   That's it.  They may look different but the consequences are all the same.  Candy and HFCS - pump primers for diabetes.

Food can change your life in unexpected ways.  But sugar doesn't.

It's the same olde dog and pony show. After 30 days, your pancreas will be breathing a sigh of relief.  After 3 years,  major healing is underway.

I don't reward myself with sugar.  

Sugar = Approval and Cheering and Love

But that's simply imaginary.  The sneaky snake side effects of insulin excursions....hails bells, it ain't worth it.  Been there, done that and no one puts baby in a corner.

I can only get so fancy.  I don't believe in making up imaginary health conditions to get someone off of your back.

Tell the truth.  

Never let anybody take control of your nutritional decisions.

Ever.

The "Pusher" can be your maw, grandmaw, aunt, coworkers, clients, friends, fair weather friends or strangers.

You have to stand your ground and be firm. Don't lie or tell fibs. It will all come back to bite you in the rearend. Don't concoct or devise imaginary medical conditions or make excuses for yourself. You will lose trust from others and it will make you feel like a fraud.

Just stand UP for yourself and call it like it is. You don't have to go into big lengthy excuses or rationalization. Shorter is better.

Tell them you're not touching that food or alcohol for 30 days or you're not touching it anymore. Period.

Be nice but super firm with the "Pusher". 

Let them eat cake.  Let them bawl their eyes out over it because you're not. If you can't get the "Pusher" to stop, you will have to avoid them in the future.  Alcoholics and anyone in any kind of a recovery program, including food addiction, like me...we learn this as part of making our recovery stick.

We remain strong for ourselves. No one can do this for you. 

If someone keeps pushing you up against a wall ....Don't make me come over there.  I could help you with the dust-up, we'll drop 'em like a bag of dirt.  The offenders.  

We'll be sweeter and kinder but firm.  We will look them directly in the eye and tell the truth. 

Discernment.  

Discernment is the ability to  see the difference between truth and error. Right and wrong.  Discernment intersects our life at every point. 

Without it you are a risk of being tossed to and fro with every wind of dieting doctrine or any kind of doctrine. Carried away with the wind.

You need it to think about all areas of your life. The parts that are without compromise.  Cutting through to the chase and squaring off with error and confusion.  Discernment is mastering the art of self-deception. 

There are times when you have to examine everything carefully but there are times when you need to think quickly on your feet. Not being easily led around by others or letting them take control of your decisions.  

Hold fast to that which is true. Discernment is seeing the forest for the trees.

cant see forest for the trees Picture of the Day: Seeing the Forest for the Trees

Archived