First Whole 30 1/08/14

Chinno

I feel a lot better. Definitely more energy. I am starting a new exercise regime from Monday which should give me a boost. I have held off doing anything new so my body can adjust to the new way of eating without crazy hunger from new exercise.

I didn't eat tons of GF breads because they always made me feel a bit funny especially bagels. But between occasional gf bread, many gf cakes and sweets I was on a bad path. My digestion is changing in a good way. It isn't quite right yet but then again my system always takes a while to adjust.  30+ years of gluten damage and all the crappy sugar has made it sluggish.  It is much better already and I am not getting nausea or heartburn regularly. I used to get a very specific headache when I ate something that didn't agree with me and I haven't had that which is nice. I did get some headaches at the start but they seem to have gone now. 

I think my tummy is flatter but still has a LONG way to go.  

I rarely weigh myself because I find it too depressing but I really, really, really want to weigh myself now. Almost like a massive sugar craving for the scales.  ;)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is great, more & consistenent energy was your #1 goal wasn't it? So important with a pre-schooler to look after!

Yeah GF baking is all well & good, but still ton of sugar & very calorie dense with all the nut flours etc.

Happy to hear so many positive changes are happening for you :)

That totally describes me & the scales btw! a scale craving!

Today started well but ended a bit badly. 

Breakfast 9am 

Egg loaf, spinach, black coffee and water. 

11.30am black coffee 

Lunch 1.20pm 

smoked salmon, red peppers, spinach, I am drawing a blank on the other veg I ate. I must start taking pics. 

4pm coffee with CM 

Dinner 6pm

Curry from last night - chicken, CM, string beans, peppers, butternut squash, spinach. 

Have a dodgy tummy now.  Spent a bit of time in the loo :(  Perhaps the curry a second night in a row was a bad idea. 

Massive cravings for sugar of course. I need some electrolytes.  Hope this will pass. Perhaps I had too much coffee today. 

Brekkie 8am

3 scrambled eggs with ghee and some spinach, black coffee*2, water 

Lunch 3pm

smoked salmon, raw courgette, carrots, tomatoes, salad leaves and a little olive oil. 

4pm decaf americano

snack - 6pm grabbed a few mixed nuts. I am not sure if I was starving but I must have been. Annoyed that I snacked. 

Supper 8pm

Lamb chop cooked in crushed tomatoes, string beans, red onion, raw peppers and some potatoes boiled and tossed in a small bit of ghee. 

I am feeling so very full. Too full really. Maybe less of the potatoes. 

I think the problem last night was the leftover tomatoes I put into the curry. Maybe they had fermented a bit.  I think they were in the fridge for quite a while.  :wacko:

I am still looking for a new bike as my previous one has been decommissioned for attempted murder of owner.   It is annoying as I usually cycle everywhere and it feel like I am not getting in enough exercise. 

I resisted the temptation to buy a new one today. They had one in the chemist that measures body fat an water weight. It will just have to weight ; )  

I woke this morning and my tummy was feeling a bit wobbly. Maybe I have a mild bug? Anyway I waited until 9 to have brekkie. 

Brekkie this morning

9am 2 scrambled eggs, tsp flaxseeds, prosciutto, salad leaves, black coffee, water. 

I finish work at 8pm tonight and I am heading straight out to a pub called "The Gravediggers". Yes it is next to a graveyard. We have a weird sense of humour here in Dublin. This is going to test my resolve.  There should be a bit of a party in the pub. We have some folks back from a Summer in San Francisco and some other folks moving back to Ireland so there will be drinking of booze and general merriment.  Moving back, are they insane? The economy, the conservative everything, the health system?  It seems they miss their friends which is sweet. We missed them. Still though it will be quite different from Antigua and Brighton where they have spent the last 6/7 years. 

The Gravediggers don't have any GF beer so my choice of drink would be limited in normal circumstances. I think I will do the soda water with a piece of lemon trick just so people forget that it isn't alcoholic. I have informed 2 friends that I am off sugar for the duration of August so I am hoping they will be supportive tonight.  

Supper is going to be a problem. I am heading straight from work and the pub kitchen will have closed by the time I get there. Although I probably wouldn't have eaten there anyway as pub kitchens are not great for coeliacs as they have a high potential for cross contamination. What on earth am I going to eat before I get to the pub?  

~Watch this space for another fascinating update on my supper adventures.  

Scales craving 6/10. 

Sugar craving  3/10

Booze craving 2/10 - that may change when I get to the pub

Frizz Index 1 - weather ok for hair at the moment although with my hair there is always potential for frizz. 

Good point. I might take an extra break. I didn't bring an extra food but I might pop out to Centra and get some bits at around 6. 

black coffee at 12pm

Lunch 3pm

Piece baked salmon, courgette, carrot, tomatoes, leaves.  Salmon was baked with a small piece of ghee (always funny to me) and some slices of lemon. 

feeling very full and kinda dull. I need to change up my lunch order.  

The girls  had a lot of laughs last night about my current use of ghee. Especially the making of my own ghee. 

Supper last night was not really a supper - 8pm almonds, banana, decaf with coconut milk. 

3*soda waters in pub. 

Today 

Brekkie 7.30am

2 scrambled eggs with prosciutto and spinach plus black coffee. 

11.30 black coffee followed by decaf in Carluccio's.  Normally I order from the GF menu but today I remained firm and had coffee. My friend had a huge danish and Fionn had a crepe with honey. Sigh. 

Lunch 1.30pm

Salad leaves, chicken, prosciutto and tomatoes. Herb oil - olive oil with some dried basil in it. 

Supper 7.45pm 

lamb chop, baked potato with ghee, salad leaves, grated carrot and some asparagus. 

Spent the entire day rushing around doing stuff so I am exhausted now. Had an airport drop off at 8.30am then straight back to drop off the car for a service, then straight into town with Fionn for coffee and a visit to the Zoology museum in TCD. Fionn is the worst walker and demanded a piggy back the entire way around town. I usually have to coax him into walking anywhere and it wasn't worth it today in town. I have definitely done my exercise for today.  

The Zoology museum is great. It is tiny but they have quite a few animals and the students working there are happy to tell you all about the things in jars, creepy taxidermy and skeletons. You can also touch the collection which makes a change from the Dead Zoo. Or Natural History Museum if you prefer (yes another example of Irish humour). The Zoology museum have a full baby chimp skeleton which you can rebuild yourself following a bone map. Very cool. Cost is 3e per adult and 2e per child which makes it a reasonable day out in town. Especially if you picnic at the Pav (cricket pavilion) which is right beside the building.  

I think I have more energy and I find I am better able to deal with Fionn in the evening without going nuts. 

I am not as hungry which is good and I don't have sweet cravings as much although Carluccio's wasn't easy today. The window is full of the most incredible looking pink meringues.  I wonder if they would object to me diving in to them and having a roll around in the dust.  :D  Must keep going. 

Wow you are doing great putting yourself in challanging situations and coming out on top, fair play!

Zoolology museum sounds great, have kids free bus this week so might do that.
No snorting meringue dust now....

Derval, I think Strange Weather is a good one for kids. You can do a weather forecast on the top floor. I think kids really get the weather thing and the gallery is small so no time to get bored. 

Today 

Brekkie 9am 

3 scrambled eggs with ghee and spinach. Black coffee. 

10.30am black coffee.

I resisted the many temptations at my friend's house. She is an incredible baker and had a ton of the most beautiful cakes, scones and pastries laid out on her long wooden kitchen table today. Everything was presented on white linen and on dainty plates.  I heroically abstained from all treats and had a black coffee in a pretty cup. I may dream of that table tonight. 

12.30pm lunch in town

Nothing really suitable in the cafe I was in so I had a green salad with tomatoes. I had some egg loaf in a picnic box in the car so I ate that a half hour later. Not ideal but I needed protein. 

3pm decaf coffee and CM 

6pm Supper 

bolognese sauce (beef mince with 6 veg sauce), sweet potatoes and some broccoli.

9am STARVING - had some almonds in salt. Bit annoyed at this. Perhaps there wasn't enough protein at supper time.  

People are commenting positively about my skin which is nice. I am feeling the benefits of eating this way.  When I tell people what I am cutting out for the month they always ask what I can eat. As if sugar and pasta are the only foods. I try to explain that it is really like a traditional Irish way of eating except lots more veg. They kind of get it then. I think they forget that bread isn't really necessary. 

In other news, today I visited a bike shop and I think I am going to get a bike built.  Excitement. Body and parts will be secondhand but it will be built for me. I am not going to get a new paint job on the bike because it will live outside my house and can't look too pretty for fear of thievery. I would love a pretty bike but I have a tiny home so it can't live inside. 

Goals for tomorrow are being more organised about meals and NO snacking. 

Brekkie 

8.30am 

3.5 scrambled eggs and spinach, black coffee

11am cup of tea

Lunch 1pm

Duck breast, sweet potato, courgette, broccoli 

2.30pm black coffee with coconut milk. 

I am extremely tired now and feeling snacky as a result. 

had to help a person out in work yesterday so I ended up working until 10 last night. So a full day with Fionn (3) and then straight into work for an event. The event was fun but there were tons of people and bands etc so I was truly exhausted when I arrived home at 11. 

Supper 5pm was 

decaf black coffee with coconut milk and a handful of almonds.  Not very sensible but I didn't have a minute to make anything and the cafe in work had event food which wasn't even gluten free. Although the Dark and Stormy cocktails looked good. 

I had to bring Fionn in to town to meet D and then hand him over and straight into work. 

I am now heading in to work again. 

Yikes 

Em

Brekkie 10am 

3 Scramled eggs and spinach, black coffee 

12pm black coffee 

Lunch 3.30pm 

decaf coffee with cm. steak strips, tomatoes, spinach, courgette. 

6pm - a handful of mixed nuts. 

8pm 1/4 small baked potato, 2 roast chicken thighs, roast carrots and parsnips, steamed broccoli, steamed string beans. 

Some sweet cravings today. I am tired though so that is probably the cause. 

Heading to bed now finally.  

6.30am start this morning. Argh - way too early. 

Sat down and switched on cartoons. Not the best in the morning but I couldn't process being up early today. 

8.30am Brekkie

3 scrambled eggs and spinach, black coffee

12pm decaf with CM 

1.30pm Lunch 

picnic in Malahide Castle. Steak, courgette, green beans, sweet potato and leaves. 

plus def caf black coffee

6pm handful of nuts - SNACKY. Urgh. 

8pm Dinner 

2 small lamb chops with spices, green beans, broccoli, baked potato, carrot. 

Serious sugar cravings today and felt like giving up. 

Tiredness is a big trigger for these thoughts.  I am taking myself off to bed.

Small boy had tummy ache earlier in eve so I hope he sleeps through and feels better in the morning. He should be tired enough between the amazing playground at Malahide Castle and the walk through the forest. 

Off to bed with me. zzzzzzzzzzzz

I awoke with a tummy ache and had a funny tummy all day.  Something is causing this as it is like the last time. Perhaps the nuts or too much decaf?  Maybe the spices on the lambchops - I checked and they are totally compliant and certified by the Coeliac Society. I didn't have a headache so I don't think it is gluten although the nuts could have been contaminated I suppose. Very frustrating. Especially as I had to take a Zantac, something I haven't had to do in some time. It didn't help much. Might lay off the coffee tomorrow. Argh! 

Anyways here was my day 

8am 3 scrambled eggs and green leaves, blk coffee. 

12am decaf black  coffee

Lunch 

3pm 

chicken leg meat, raw courgette, carrot, green beans, peppers, leaves - olive oil. 

Supper

8pm 2 lamb chops, small pieces compliant bacon, 1/2 baked potato, green beans, raw carrots, raw courgette. 

Cycled to work and then 1/2 way home. I have a load of a friend's bike since mine gave up recently. It is the worst bike I have ever cycled. I have been cycling for over 30 years. I decided it wouldn't make it up the hill to my house so I walked it home. A 40 minute walk at a decent pace with a bike in hand. I can't wait to get my new bike although it looks like I'll have to chase the bike dude who promised to make me one. I'll give him one more shot but then take my business elsewhere.   

Again I am really craving sweet things and it is hard to stay away from them. Big urge to weigh myself. Scales craving alert. 

I am pretty proud of myself for staying away from cake yesterday. Anniversary for myself n DH, 12 years. I have some delightful flowers and thankfully he is supportive and didn't get me any chocs. 

Archived