Denise's Whole30 Log

DeniseP962

Started Whole30 August 1. Smooth start since I had been preparing for a couple of weeks anyway. It is a busy month and I am out of the house a lot but my life is very busy in general. I am very used to cooking every day and bringing my lunch so eating away from home is not usually that much of a challenge. If I am out shopping, I eat before I go and I bring something with me if I need to. Drinking chia water helps stave off hunger so for the most part, I try to have it with me to fight hunger. For the most part, I don't get so hungry that I cannot wait till I get home to eat. I also think that hunger is sometimes in the mind rather than being actually hungry, especially using this program. If I have water with me that helps.

Keys to success?? Don't think of any nutrition program in terms of what I cannot have. If I focus on the foods I cannot have, I will feel deprived. I can have anything I want. The reason I am doing this is to change the foods I want. No one is watching me, no one is going to bust down my door and punish me if I eat cake or cookies. I am making a choice. Anytime I want to have the junk, I can make a choice to go back to my old way of eating. I am not a slave or a member of the Borg. I would rather focus on what I can have -- like sweet potatoes -- and and on the benefits I am hoping to achieve. Keeping my eyes on the prize is the best way to approach any new nutrition program. It is not a diet, it is not a meal plan. I am changing my life and making a choice for better health.

As for other people, I don't make a big deal about what I am doing when I am with them. We went to Panera Bread for coffee and I had a cup of tea with nothing added to it. No discussion, no comment. As a rule, I would probably stay out of a place like that but I was with others and did not want to make a spectacle of myself. I am not changing them, I am changing myself and as far as I am concerned, it is up to me to make good choices with I am eating with others. No need to get self-righteous and be a jerk. Just enjoy the company of my friends and make smart choices.

So that was day one. Starting a new day today with my bullet-proof coffee with a dash of coconut cream. Should be a good day.

Archived