Introducing myself - 46 - 1st time - Phoenix

Tuni

Hello everyone! I'm starting my first Whole30 today after just learning about it 2 days ago from my daughter.  I bought and read about half of the book since then, but haven't done any other preparation.  Today may be a challenge as it's packed full of activities. I already belong to a CSA and get my meat from a local farmer (100% pastured) so I'm hoping I'm in good enough shape to make it through until I can get to the store tomorrow.

My biggest challenges will be passing on diet Mountain Dew and sugary treats. After posting this I will be going to the kitchen to pour out the two bottles of soda hanging out in my fridge. Luckily, I don't have much junk food stashed here at the moment.  

I felt conflicted about starting without adequate prep time (not sure what I even have to do to prepare), but between reading in the book to start as soon as possible (and Dallas and Melissa starting immediately after deciding), and waking up this morning thinking how ridiculous it is to poison my body for one more minute, I'm jumping in with both feet.

I hope to gain a little of the vigor I had a few years ago and feel better in general. I also won't mind if I drop a few pounds.

I live in Phoenix and have three (nearly) grown kids, five dogs, and a wonderful (health-conscious) spouse. 

I'm ready to do this!

Tuni

• Moderators

(not sure what I even have to do to prepare)

Hi, Tuni. If you're already eating pretty close to W30, prep time may not be as essential for you. For those of us who came from other backgrounds and weren't used to cooking from scratch, and who had pantries full of fat-free, low-carb, sugar-free stuff that all had to be replaced, a few days to get to the store to stock up and time to pre-cook some stuff and chop veggies and meal plan was absolutely necessary. There was almost nothing in my fridge or freezer that would have worked for W30 before I started, aside from a few sad looking veggies -- there was no way I could have just jumped in and been successful mid-week when I found the program. You sound like you're probably good for a day or two, so why not just go ahead and get started? Makes perfect sense to me -- I wish I'd been in that position to begin with.

Best of luck to you!

Hi, Tuni. If you're already eating pretty close to W30, prep time may not be as essential for you. For those of us who came from other backgrounds and weren't used to cooking from scratch, and who had pantries full of fat-free, low-carb, sugar-free stuff that all had to be replaced, a few days to get to the store to stock up and time to pre-cook some stuff and chop veggies and meal plan was absolutely necessary. There was almost nothing in my fridge or freezer that would have worked for W30 before I started, aside from a few sad looking veggies -- there was no way I could have just jumped in and been successful mid-week when I found the program. You sound like you're probably good for a day or two, so why not just go ahead and get started? Makes perfect sense to me -- I wish I'd been in that position to begin with.

Best of luck to you!

So far it's gone really well (aside from all the expected exhaustion, headaches, and crankiness).  It's not that my diet was so clean before. It was just one extreme or the other.  For example, I might have pastured steak, broccoli, and sweet potatoes for dinner, followed by red wine, a bowl of ice cream, and a hostess cupcake. HAHAHA. I wish I were joking, but I'm not.  It did help that I already had some ingredients here for healthy meals, and only had to separate out the bad stuff for the rest of the family.

Day 5 now, and I'm doing ok. Mostly just really tired, but glad that I haven't had to battle too many cravings (yet).

Thanks for the response. I appreciate it.

Hi tuni - I live in Scottsdale and am just starting another Whole 30. You mentioned that you get your meat from a local farmer. If that's a public option, would you mind sharing? I haven't had much luck finding options around here on my own.

Thanks -

Frances

Hi Frances,

There are a couple of ranches in the area.  Lately I've been buying from Double Check Ranch http://www.doublecheckranch.com/ . They have a CSA and also sell at the local farmer's markets.  (the one on Northern and Central is right around the corner from me, but I heard the public market downtown has better produce selection). You can also buy in bulk to save some money if you have the freezer space.

I get most of my produce from Natures Garden Delivered http://naturesgardendelivered.com/. It's a little expensive, but you can't beat the convenience of waking up on Friday morning to a big box of fresh produce.

How many Whole30's have you completed? This is my first one. It's been quite a roller coaster. I'm so happy to be starting week 2. Somehow, completing the first week feels like a success. My brain is my biggest challenge, so having a success under my belt just makes it all seem more do-able. 

Awesome. Thanks for the info. I'll have to check out Double Check Ranch.  For produce, I've done the Bountiful Baskets thing several times. The hard part is using up all the produce before it goes bad - hard since I live alone.  I'm doing better about making things and freezing them, but I'm not much of a cook, so it's still a struggle.

I've completed one real Whole30 - last fall.  I followed a paleo lifestyle until the holidays, then it all fell apart and I haven't managed to get back on track until now.  I'm three days into it and feeling ok.  No sugar headache this time, which is FANTASTIC!!

And I totally get the small victories - congrats on your first week! 

We got this!! :)

Frances,

I did bountiful baskets for a while too.  Getting to the meeting place at the designated time, and eating the veggies (at least the ones I didn't like) made me switch to Natures Garden. I love that I can pick the size box I want, pick what I want in it, and have it delivered! It doesn't get any easier than that.  I think it is a little more expensive than the store, but the quality has been 1st rate, and I'm saving time and gas so I'm ok with it.

Congrats on having already completed a Whole30. I can see how the holidays could throw a wrench into the Whole30 lifestyle. It's so loaded with treats reinforced with the emotional minefield that often goes hand-in-hand with the holidays. I will have to give some thought to my post Whole30 plan, and how to maintain through the holidays that will be starting before we know it.  

Thanks for the message, and good luck with Double Check!

Tuni

Now on day 9 and I'm starting to feel some of the benefits.  I actually exercised yesterday (Zumba class). That's the first time in a long time (and I didn't even care that I was out of breath and knew NONE of the steps!)

• 4 weeks later...

Archived