TJ Kale chips?

PeytonsMom

I make my own at home with raw kale/EVOO, but looking for some that I can easily stash in my desk at work (homemade ones don't seem to stay fresh very long after they are made)...are the Trader Joe's kale chips compliant? (Or any from Whole Foods)?

Thanks!

The official stance on chips of all kinds is that they need to be homemade. I've not looked at the TJ's or Whole Foods kale chips ingredient lists. A better thing to stash in your desk for emergency moments is compliant canned meat (tuna, salmon, chicken) or compliant jerky. They keep for a long time and are a better mini meal option than kale chips. Another option is to bring more food for your at work meal than you think you can actually finish at that meal and use the leftovers if you get hungry again.

Chips: Not if they’re commercially prepared or deep fried

While we recognize that potatoes are a real food, we also know that eating them in the form of fries and chips has turned them from “produce” into an adulterated commercial “product.” It’s easy to find sweet potato, beet, or vegetable chips that meet the Whole30 ingredient standards. It is not easy, however, to consume those chips in a way that’s true to the spirit of the Whole30. It’s hard to find a suitable place for them in our meal planning template (no, half a bag of “Sweets and Beets” is not an appropriate way to fill your plate with vegetables), and even harder to stop yourself from eating them when the designated serving comes to an end. For most of us, chips are a bonafide food-with-no-brakes, and fall into that deep, dark area of less-healthy foods with technically compliant ingredients. For that reason we do not allow frying starchy veggies and turning them into chips during your Whole30. (However, if you want to roast some kale until it’s crispy, or thinly slice jicama into a scoop for your guacamole, be our guest.)

- See more at: http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/#sthash.BaenAYIA.dpuf

I'm very new to this and trying to do things right.  So, if I'm understanding this right....... the tuna, chicken, compliant jerky are all better than homemade kale chips???

There is nothing wrong with homemade kale chips. What we are talking about is emergency food that would be eaten between meals. Our general recommendation is that you eat 3 meals according to the template each day. Homemade kale chips can be part of these meals as a vegetable. In the event that your meals don't keep you full for 4-6 hours and you can not make it until the next meal (hungry like you would eat something completely unappealing hungry) then we would advice a mini meal that contains at least protein and fat. Thus kale chips on their own is not your best option for this circumstance. Does that make sense?

Archived