First Time, Starting August 18th 2014

Dayleo

I was way off road befor I started this time and so had lots of changes..really good sleep these days and energy starting to come back...The last time I did this tho I would say the biggest changes were in my last week...until that point I had actually sometimes felt a little bloated...not used to so  many vegies I think,then the last week my clothes just seemed to suddenly get too large...I didn't weigh until the end but I lost 12 lbs....but it did seem like I didn't really feel it until the last 7-10 days...

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

time2Change - Thanks!  Im going to stick it out but was just hoping for a wow thats amazing moment.  I will say the one benefit is I am not focused on food so much.  With being owner/trainer of my gym, I am constantly helping and talking about food to people.  Then trying to focus on eating every 2-3 hours....exhausting.  So now knowing I need to eat 3 times a day.....Awesome!  

So, Day 20!! It's been interesting so far - I've gone from NO cooking (like, ever) to buying a blender and a chopping board. Mainly doing this to help with headaches though still experienced a lot in the first 2 weeks. Been headache free for the last week BUT my partner took me away last night to a lovely hotel for dinner, bed and breakfast. I felt like the most awkward customer ever and finally got a dry-steak and salad greens, all washed down with sparking water. Had 3 boiled eggs this morning and although there were the options of mushrooms and asparagus etc, I couldn't chance what they were cooked in. Really felt like I was missing out but certainly didn't want to jeopardise the whole30 at this stage!! Unfortunately, woke up with a headache this morning :(( Ironically, I'm guessing it's due to lack of food. It's definitely better eating at home on the Whole30!!

So on Day 20 was an epic fail for me. I had to be at a weekend long wedding function and the stress became so overwhelming, i broke down and had wine and a few food items that were NOT compliant. Feel so guilty now. I was doing great, but once in a bad environment from all sides, I couldnt handle it! Back to day 1......!   -_-  -_-  -_-

It's day 23 for me and I'm close to throwing in the towel as well. We don't have much money right now (I'm a substitute teacher and haven't had any calls yet) so I'm doing a pantry challenge to eat everything in our pantry and freezer before buying anymore. We get a CSA box so we're set for fresh produce every week, but there are a lot of non compliant starches that I know would get us through until my next assignment/pay as well... I'm making myself eat everything compliant we have first, then we will see...

LisaLulu, I'm also in that boat. I don't make much at my current job while going to school to get my Master's....so I'm having to stretch dollars and empty out our freezer first as well. I'm super low on veggies, trying to eat the frozen kind, even though I dont think they taste right......Good luck!

Day 23.....I'm feeling great today...was only going to do 21 days....but decided to do 28 instead..maybe 30...I'm leaving on a trip the 20th and want to re introduce the correct way this time so probably 28 and then re introduction...when low on funds ground beef is my standby....throw in onions,canned diced tomatoes and canned green chilis and throw over broccolli slaw sauteed a little bit...filling and cheap...also sweet potatoes....also cheap right now....

Dayloe...remember this is not an all or nothing "diet" its learning to make the best choices for eating and feeling good...just keep going and celebrate healthy steps,,,and do your best...

I think the real issue is that I'm trying to eat EVERYTHING in the freezer right now, so breakfast and lunch today was gross fish that was on sale and tonight's dinner is going to be gross overcooked leftover steak. I wanted to eat the stuff I don't like first, but once I finish that I'll have chicken breasts and salmon and ground beef left, all things I absolutely love, which will get my through another week :)

Hey all...

Sorry to hear that there are challenges for many in the group.  I have been doing this for a while so maybe I have some perspective (or at least maybe an interesting read??).  First of all... I live between two homes.  One during the week in Toronto (where I work - until December)  were everything I eat is made by me, temptations only exist if I put them there and I am fairly independent.  The second home is my house in Kingston with my wife and two kids (9.5 and 11) where I spend the extended weekends facing normal family havok, lots of off-plan food temptations and pressures to "keep it fun and convenient".

I can really say that time and practice makes perfect.  Maybe it comes easier to me because I don't see this as a 30-day adventure or challenge.  I really, really want to eat this way for the rest of my life (with occasional planned, deviations).  I feel so good on so many levels that I am motivated to continue this way of eating.  It took some real time and practice to change my thinking from "no" meaning deprived towards "no" meaning empowered.  I have it easy because I don't drink alcohol (not for years and years) and I don't really have a desire for dairy or legumes.  I do face issues with wheat and sugar but I really see them as negative additions which helps me say "no" with pride (or at least "not now").

Doing this over time becomes easier.  I don't see the program as a restrictive "can't have" list which makes some feel claustrophobic.  It is a simple set of rules that provide me with a quality of life that is fantastic.  I feel a little like Pavlov's dog after a few years of bell ringing.  I am sure that the first couple of months of bell ringing for the dog still brought some confusion and thought process before he began to salivate for the food.  However... I am a dog on (and off) this program now for over two years.  I now find much more stress, dissapointment and real discomfort from being off the plan.  When doing W30, the program is a welcoming familiar bell that sets well known parameters for healthy eating. 

I realize that this may not be appealing to some like I am a conditioned automoton with puppet strings being pulled by two Utah-based authors but I don't see it that way at all.  I have truely changed my relationship with food, eating and nutrition.  It could be just as easily said that for 40 years the general western population followed a big experiment with the low fat, saturated fat phobic "healthy" eating plan.  Many (me included) were not well served by the big experiment and some are actively searching for better nutritional plans to meet our personal needs.  ISWF and W30 is comfortable for me and well worth any drawbacks that come with the program.  With that said, you have to get beyond the "deprived" label when you can't have something.  We are all adults and I choose to use this program to help frame my nutrition choices.  I don't ever reach for processed motor oil as a refreshing drink after a workout and I have never been tempted to drink it.  Similarily, I am no longer tempted or wanting to have Coke or Diet Coke as things I choose to drink.  W30 helps to frame the choices but ultimately, the choice is mine. 

It is interesting because I feel almost at peace when on the program and life gets much more messy/stressful when eating off-plan.  Sometimes messy can be fun but messy all the time is a lot of work.  Congrats to all that have stuck with or will re-commit to giving their W30 a go.  The program is easy but it is not simple.  But it does get better with time... at least it has for me!

Cheers

DJ

After choking down the rest of the nasty fish for lunch I decided I'm going to toss the overcooked steak and just eat compliant foods I like. It would be a shame to end up eating rice because I'm forcing myself to eat something repulsive when there are so many compliant foods I love. It's worth the money to feel good.

After choking down the rest of the nasty fish for lunch I decided I'm going to toss the overcooked steak and just eat compliant foods I like. It would be a shame to end up eating rice because I'm forcing myself to eat something repulsive when there are so many compliant foods I love. It's worth the money to feel good.

I so agree Lisa!  Getting set up can be more expensive (new spices, oils, base supplies (e.g. Coconut oil)) which can make it expensive but once I am rolling, I buy the things I like (that are on plan) and then an evening like last night... I have the decision between Chicken, pork chops, saussage or steak!!!  I take the one I want out the freezer and I have dinner for tonight and lunch for tomorrow (Chicken won out).  I have no nasty fish in my freezer.  I agree... Enjoy the food becasuse there are so many great choices we can make!!!

Cheers

DJ

I got my CSA box for the week last night then went to costco and bought 4 whole chickens, a giant pack of boneless skinless chicken thighs and 2 packages of sugar free bacon (plus I have 3 pounds of ground beef, 4 pounds of chicken breast and 2 pounds of salmon) so now I have no problem making it another week with meat I actually want to eat! Just one week to go!!!

I've decided to extend my Whole 30 to a Whole 50, both because I've done a couple of Whole 30's before and would enjoy the challenge of a 50, and because I've been really satisfied with my results so far and would like to see if they can get even better if I continue on this journey.

The only drawback right now is that I'm having some trouble sleeping. I can fall asleep easily enough, but I wake up every 1-2 hour during the night. It's only for a short period of time and I can go back to sleep rather quick, but I don't feel as rested in the morning as I would like to. Any ideas what I can do about this? It's not terrible, but slightly annoying.

Hey all

I sit here eating some salad and tuna (out of a can) for lunch.  Today was travel day (from Kingston to Toronto for my work week) and I did not plan out this lunch today too well. 

I am doing pretty well and feeling good but I really have no difference between this week and future ones as I am going to try to ride the W30 train for as long as I can (maybe December???).

Honey Sue - I don't know what to say about your sleeping issues.  I can understand how that would be annoying (to say the least) but I have no ideas about what to do.  I know I have read that Melissa Hartwig sometimes has sleep issues and swears by a Magnesium (a hot drink supplement) that she sometimes takes.  Don't know if it will help you but maybe worth a try? 

For those stopping / phasing out this week, enjoy the experimentation!

It's the second last day! I'm skipping reintro this time because I felt like it got me off track last time by forcing me to eat things but day 31 is my birthday so I'm having cupcakes. It seem like the only foods I'm sensitive to are ones that are already compliant! 

I feel like my 2 whole 30's got my body to stop needing a white starchy side dish with every meal and to realize that I don't want to eat 'healthy' non compliant foods, when I go off, I want to go all out (pizza, cake, or chocolate) to make it worth it. At restaurants now I actually prefer to order just meat and salad, my taste buds have changed.

djoyce - I take magnesium supplements before bedtime. They have helped me sleep better earlier, but apparently not anymore :/

I'm not overly stressed or depressed, I eat awesome food and my workouts are going great so I really don't know why I can't sleep properly. Hopefully it'll pass soon.

Archived