Getting Enough Calcium?

AnnaV30

I am looking for kid friendly recipes that provide adequate amounts of calcium.  I have a child that has never liked dairy products (I think he gets it from me) and I want to make sure his growing body is getting enough calcium.  I know that Kale and Seaweed are good sources of calcium. Right now my child will eat the kale chips and nori wrapped around carrot sticks or cucumbers etc.  

What other ways can I make calcium rich foods taste appealing to my child?

Am I losing too many vital nutrients through the kale baking process?

What other foods/food preps should I try?

Hi, there are a lot of non-dairy choices on the WH Foods list: not just kale, also spinach and other greens, sardines (maybe as a dip with cruddites?), sesame seeds. I guess a lot would depend on what your child likes to eat. I loved both spinach and sardines as a child but imagine not all children do! Sesame seeds may be easier to incorporate into other foods (you can make a cooked carrot/beetroot and tahini dip a bit like hummus) but they do come with a high omega 6 content so probably shouldn't be the main source.

Thanks for the information.  I believe I read most of that information about calcium in the book.  I think it's more an issue of getting the calcium in the child by making it taste good.  Someone at the pool today told me to give him more almonds and use ground almonds on his foods.  I know he will eat almonds I just don't think they are a truly adequate sources of calcium.

Archived