Whole30 for Gaining (Healthy) Weight

Pedro Pinto

Hello everyone, I would like to get your opinions about this issue.

I am currently injured, for 3 months already. I used to strength train, all days of the week and somedays I had to make a HIIT as well. Unfortunately I got injured on my left shoulder, including all the back portion of it, and now I can't do almost anything. Running is something I can but I actually avoid.

The thing is I was consuming near 3500 cals/d (1.69m and I was 75kg) and I was making 3 big meals, with relatively big pre and post-workout meals. Now, my activity level decreased from 100 to almost 0 which consequently made me less hungry. As I've told you, I was 75kg, in May, and I'm now with 67,5kg which is making me some kind of paranoid.

My body composition started to get destroyed, my stress levels started to increase, my pain just followed the stress levels, etc... The thing is that I actually reduced my intake and I probably entered in a biological state called "survival mode" which made me store the most dense nutrient - fat (nothing special since I lost a lot of weight, but enough to make hip fat visible - love handles).

Since I want to start a whole30 in September and I don't want to lose more weight (I want to gain) and plus I want to improve my body composition, what can you actually suggest, assuming I can make some legs circuits (HIIT) with no harm for my shoulder.

P.S.: My food habits are already paleo and whole30 compliant, for like 2 years.

• 2 weeks later...

On weight gain 101 we've some recommendations which include eating more and, for example, eating white rice. Firstly I would like to know if these articles should be included in the 3-meals template. If so, we should only increase the amount of food in each one, right? Secondly, by saying we can eat white rice, still makes this articles guidelines compliant with whole30?

On weight gain 101 we've some recommendations which include eating more and, for example, eating white rice. Firstly I would like to know if these articles should be included in the 3-meals template. If so, we should only increase the amount of food in each one, right? Secondly, by saying we can eat white rice, still makes this articles guidelines compliant with whole30?

The weight gain 101 is not specifically whole30 compliant, it is more of a whole9/post-whole30 perspective. The second article is specific to whole30. If you are trying to gain mass during a whole30, rice should not be part of the equation. While 3 meals per day is optimal for most people, if you are not able to consume enough food to meet your goals within that template, adding a meal or two might make sense for your context.

Archived