Walking

Danitanton

My sister and are training for the Avon Walk for breast cancer in the fall. The walk is almost 40 miles in two days. So obviously we are walking a lot to prepare. We are up to 16 mile walks, and I am on day 18 of the whole 30.

I am struggling with how much/how often to eat on long walk days. It is not intense working out... But it is long! 3-4 hours of straight walking! As the walks get longer (over 20 miles) we will need to eat a long the way. I am not sure what to eat at this point. High protein and carb? Or high protein and fat?

Also, I am probably eating as much as my husband (who is also doing the whole 30), but is 100 lbs more than me. Because the exercise is not high intensity I am sticking to three meals, no snacks, but still have hunger. I've taken to emulsifying coconut oil and full far coconut milk into tea at night so I don't wake up hungry. Any thoughts on whether this is ok? All input is greatly appreciated!!! Loving the whole 30 :)

• Moderators

What is convenient can influence what you eat during a long walk. Protein is always good unless it upsets your stomach. Beef jerky or boiled eggs might be good. You could also carry baby food and eat that while you walk. Carbs are good, especially baked sweet potatoes. You can do baby food for carbs too. Fat slows digestion, so you might not want to focus on fat while walking, but you could eat some nuts.

If you are hungry and eating as much as your heavier husband, I fear your husband is not eating enough. One of the great things about a Whole30 is that you don't have to be hungry while you eat what you need to be healthy. Be sure that in your three meals you are getting a serving of protein at least as big as the palm of your hand and maybe twice as big as your palm. And plenty of fat when you cook your veggies.

Even though walking isn't considered "high intensity", walking 20+ miles is an endurance activity! Don't be afraid to feed yourself along the way! I agree with Tom's suggestions. I have toyed with the idea of making some baked sweet potato chips to take on longer runs. Haven't tried it yet, but that might work too.

Good luck-that's a great experience! Enjoy.

Colleen

Thanks for the speedy reply! We are following the eating guidelines strictly, and I am eating plenty. But I have no weight to loose and I don't stop moving very often. I am satiated after meals and feel no need to snack, but definitely sleep better when I drink my fatty tea. It seems wrong to do, yet so right. Is it wrong?

Archived