Not really sure where to put this

bede0713

I made a pork shoulder in the crock pot last night.  This morning I removed and shredded it and there was a ton of liquid fat in the crock pot.  Can I use this for cooking or to sautee?  Should I just dump it?  Just  curious what others do.  

• Moderators

Mix it in with the shredded pork! If it seems like there is too much, you could use it for cooking, but unless you separate it completely from the meat juice, it won't keep long (you could stick it in the freezer and take it out each use). Also the meat juice will be noticeable in the pan. Might not be a problem but if you don't want whatever you are cooking to be pork flavored, it's something to consider.

Next time you do a pork shoulder, take this precious precious liquid and make a balsamic reduction with it. Then tell me how I changed your life because that stuff goes with everything. (Make it like you would gravy, subbing tapioca flour or arrowroot for flour and adding bone broth or stock and balsamic vinegar, then boil the sh*t out of it until its nice and thick, strain through a sieve and dance your booty off because its the bawls). You can freeze it in ice cube trays or just keep it in the fridge and stick your head in whenever required. Your entire head.

Rose

Archived