Egg-free eggplant recipes

little mighty

I sautee mine in garlic and oil and then add some tomato paste. you can do the same but add curry powder or indian spices. I add it to my pasta sauce and stir fries too. For me the key is cooking it long enough that it's really tender, I hate when it's chewy.

Roast those purply bulbous orbs!!  

Oven at 400

Two options:

1. Whole (best when you want to use in a puree, dip or spread such as baba ghanoush): Trim off stem end.  Cut in half lengthwise.  Rub flesh with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.  Place cut-side down in a rimmed baking sheet.  Roast for up to 30 minutes.  Check at 20 minutes, though.  Roasting time will vary with size, shape and thickness of your eggplant. Allow to cool to the touch and then scrape the flesh from the skin.  I don't recommend this method for the skinnier Japanese eggplant best for the thicker varieties.

2. Peeled and diced.  Peel and dice your eggplant. Generously salt the raw cubes then set them in a colander to allow the salt to draw out some of the water.  Rinse, pat dry, place on roasting pan with olive oil and plenty of salt and pepper.  Make sure they're in a single layer on the pan.  Roast for about 20 minutes until the cubes begin to turn golden at the edges.  (again, exact time needed will vary.  If you want it really soft, it may need a few more minutes.  I agree with LisaLulu that undercooked eggplant is detestable!)

Ratatouille:

Use option 2 above, add diced tomatoes, bell peppers, copped onion, and garlic (a lot).  Roast until everything has shrunk significantly.  When it's done, put the whole shebang into a bowl and then add fresh thyme and basil along with more salt and pepper to taste, and drizzle a little more olive oil over it.  Makes a great side dish but also works as a nice appetizer spread in endive leaves.

Bon Appetit!

PS  It's for one of these reasons:  because it's flesh is the color of an eggshell.  Because it's shape is vaguely egg-like (wider at bottom, narrower at top). 

PPS  I really don't know and just made those up off the top of my head.  You'll have to ask The Google.  ;)

• 1 month later...

Archived