August 11 Start - Post Whole30 - Re-Intros and Beyond ....

cathjm

So .... this is the day after day 30 of the Whole30!  Can't believe that I managed 30 days in a row of no sugar, dairy, grains or legumes.  I'm starting on reintroducing dairy today and have a plan of reintroduction that lasts 16 days.  After that I really want to eat Whole30 at home with non-compliant foods only included sometimes when eating out.

Cathjm, I too am starting with dairy today.  I'm not sure if I'm going to legumes or non-gluten grains next because I have yummy recipes for both.  I too am going to try to hold true to this way of eating at home.  I will be eating out much less than I was pre-W30.  I just like having control over the foods I put into my body.  I'm so thrilled with my success and can't imagine stopping now just to have some fluff that will only give me a temporary high.  I will be here with ya through the reintroduction period and probably a lot longer.

I started with dairy too!  :)

When I had first started the W30, I missed cream and sugar in my coffee. As the first week passed, I found that cheese was what I was missing. I longed for it and dreamed about it. In the last few days, as I anticipated eating cheese, I decided that what I really missed was the texture of melted cheese.

Today, I started with a little bit of shredded cheese on my breakfast. It was heavenly.  :) Perfect gooey-ness. The taste was good too, but I had definitely been missing the texture.  I still drank my coffee black as I feared not feeling well after eating dairy.  Luckily, I felt fine.  I had a little bit more shredded cheese at lunch and none at dinner.

As much as I missed dairy, and despite my joy today, I'm not too sure how this re-intro will go. I almost feel like, "I did it for 30 days, what's the big deal now"?

(remind me of that when I get to eat pizza!)  :o

I'm one of those "all or nothing" kinda folks,....so,...guess we'll see how this goes! *I actually think I'm going to do another W30 starting Oct. 1,......

Well my re-intro to corn didn't go well, I should of started with dairy, but really I don't miss cheese all that much and I'd like to stay away from my yogurt addiction again, I feel much better having protein and veggies for breakfast. I still feel awful, I've had "d" all day long, my stomach is doing flip flops and I'm achy all over. Of course for lunch I went running back to my Whole30 way of eating! I think I'm going to stick with that for at least 2-3 days and get my system straightened out again then try cheese  :D I will cry though if I can't tolerate it!

Wonder if this means popcorn is out? It would explain a lot because I ate popcorn like a fiend pre Whole30.

My dairy reintroduction consisted of about half a glass of milk, a couple of slices of cheese and a couple of scoops of ice cream.  I got Haagen Daz ice cream as it only has 5 ingredients in it, milk, condensed skimmed milk, egg, sugar and vanilla (in that order!)  So it had the least amount of rubbish in it.  Didn't feel any bad effects immediately after eating them.  And whilst I enjoyed it at the time, I didn't feel like having any more than the portion I served myself originally.  I think that dairy and to some extent sugar isn't the top of my food list with no brakes on, it definitely is grains so that re-intro is going to be interesting.

However, after eating dairy I definitely didn't sleep so well.  My skin was a little itchy and got a bit congested, which probably contributed to my bad night.  So, whilst eating dairy is not a disaster, it's not something I'm going to reintroduce everyday.  I may try another re-intro in a couple of weeks with just cheese as sugar may have been a factor and see how that goes.

Non-gluten grains are next on Saturday!  Going to a barbeque so going to try some tortilla chips and gluten free bread.  But in the meantime, looking forward to eating Whole30 for the next couple of days!

My first day eating dairy went pretty well.  I did notice some fluid retention in my ankles last night.  I had 1 oz. cheese with my breakfast, 1 greek yogurt with lunch and a spinkling of shredded cheddar plus 1 1/2 glasses of 1% milk with dinner.  I suspect it was the greek yogurt if anything that caused this fluid retention only because it contained carregenen (or whatever that substance is) which is known for causing inflammation.  Today I had another sprinkling of cheddar with my zucchini tots and a carbmaster yogurt.  We'll see how that goes.  Feeling good about dairy so far.  I hope it works out because I really value my relationship with dairy.

Sondrals, sorry to hear about your corn issues.  I too would be sad to lose popcorn.

Have a great day everyone!

I feel about 75% better today, my stomach is still flip floppy a little and my knees are still achy, it didn't help that I tripped over a speed bump today either! 

Happy to be back eating clean to be honest. I didn't sleep well last night so perhaps that's why I'm not feeling 100% today either but I still suspect the corn. 

What are zucchini tots?!

Zucchini tots are these amazing little things I just love. 

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/07/zucchini-tots.html

I made them without cheese during the Whole30.  I replaced the breadcrumbs with almond flour.

I have a couple for breakfast and it's a great way to get some veggies in that first meal.

Feeling good today and had a really good resistance training session with my personal trainer yesterday so apart from a bad night no other problems from dairy.  Non-gluten grains tomorrow, I'm going to a barbeque for lunch but I've been missing sushi so I've bought some for breakfast/ meal 1!

Heather, thanks for the recipe link, just bought some zucchini so going to try the zucchini tots over the weekend.  I usually do a mini crustless quiches with mushrooms and compliant bacon for breakfast but do need some additional veg.

As a celebration of completing 30 days, rather than having a celebratory meal out I'm getting a snazzy new stick blender :)  it's one of the all in one stick blenders with it's own mini food processing tub.  I've been using mine 4 or 5 times a week and it's seen better days.

My ability to resist eating non-compliant food still seems to be really good.  My trigger situations are usually when I'm travelling through train stations where there is so much choice of bad processed foods but I spent today travelling around London for work and wasn't even tempted.  Lugged my laptop around and a mini soft coolbag full of mini quiches, tuna salad and beef jerky!  The tuna salad was a bit of a challenge to eat on a slightly crowded train!

Rice in sushi for breakfast yesterday and tortilla chips and gluten free rolls for an all day barbeque. I had such a headache and was so sleepy all day! I think it wasn't the greatest reaction to quick release carbs. And I did feel quite gassy (sorry tmi!) but I did however sleep really well and am not feeling too bad today. So can see definite benefits with sticking to the plan. Gluten grains on Tuesday, which will be interesting. So far I want yo do 2 additional reintros, basmati rice which is long grain and slower release than sushi rice and cheese on its own.

Hope everyone's having a great weekend.

Dairy went well.  Started legumes on Saturday, not issues so far.  Today's the last day with legumes then onto not gluten grains.  I got some rice and corn ready to go.  I have had a little extra dairy slip in (cheese in my salad) but not stressing about it.  I was also bad in that I've gotten on the scale 3 times since my official 30 day weigh in and every time it was up.  I am stressing over that.  I know that from day to day it can fluctuate depending on so many things.  I'm only going to officially use my weigh in number once a week starting one week from the last day of my Whole30.  That is until I do another Whole30.  If I'm not able to lose more weight adding in the "banned" items, I'll be doing that next Whole30 really, really soon.

Have a great week everyone! :D

Hi everyone!  Haven't posted yet but I've been reading all of your entries from the beginning of Aug 11!

I had a successful whole30 in many ways, but one of my main goals was to lose some weight for my wedding in November.  I ended up losing 3 pounds. Initially I was disappointed, and then I had to remind myself that losing weigh is SO hard for me (I have type 1 diabetes, hormonal issues, etc.) and for someone who struggles to lose any weight at all, 3/4 of a pound per week is actually pretty good!!  So just gotta keep on doing what I'm doing and not go off-roading too much.

Over the weekend I had some gluten free cake with dairy frosting (cake tasting for the wedding), and some "Hi I'm Skinny" sweet potato chips (low blood sugar while out shopping, my own bad, should have had emergency snacks with me).  Got a stomachache and crazy blood sugars after eating both!  And slept poorly last night. Unfortunately it's difficult to narrow it down to what the issue exactly was since I had GF grains, dairy, and corn in those items, but at least I know those specific items need to be avoided.  Back to whole30 compliant for the week, and then my bachelorette party is this weekend so I will be having some alcohol, but try to stay compliant food wise.  We will see how that affects me!

Thanks to everyone for your posts throughout this process- they've been great to read!

Hi all,

Today I am starting gluten-free grains.  Already managed to eat some corn chips with my breakfast.

I got the results of my blood work back today.  My cholestrol dropped from 207 in June to 166.  My A1C went from 6.8% to 5.8% in that same 3 month time frame.

I go to my doctor on Monday.  I know he will be pleased and I am hoping to come off some of my meds.

Have a great day everyone!

Happy Hump Day Everyone!

First day with corn and rice went well.  No known sensitivities yet.  I did notice I felt a lot fuller with the rice I had with my dinner.  I'm having it again for lunch so we'll see how that goes over.  The scale is still up from last week (day 30) but it has edged back downward.  I'm actually looking forward to being done with reintroduction so I can get back to eating Whole30 liefstyle.

My sister and I booked a trip to Vegas in 3 weeks so I would love to lose a few more pounds before that trip.  Eating right in Vegas is going to be a challenge.  I won't be strict Whole30 but I will do my best to make wise choices.

I managed to get a stomach bug on Monday which has put me off course with re-introductions and kept me off work for 3 days, not been pleasant!  On Monday I only had a can of vegetable soup (containing wheat flour and sugar but that's all we had that I could face eating) and some chicken.  Tuesday was porridge oats and some rice so kind of another non-gluten grain re-introduction day but kind of hard to tell whether there was any reaction because I'm not feeling so good.  Some more soup today and then I'm going to try and keep on plan until Saturday when I'm going out with friends and had planned on off-road day.  To get back on track I'm going to try a Whole7 and then do a couple more re-introductions.

Passed all 4 phases of reintroduction with no known sensitivities.  Now I'm heading back towards straight Whole30 eating until I go on vacation in 2 1/2 weeks.  I went to my Endocrinologist this morning and he took me off one of my diabetes meds.  He said when I lose another 20 lbs we can look at reducing or removing the other.  And while my cholestrol numbers were great, he wants my triglycerides down a little more before changing that med.  Still happy to be losing one med.

Heather, congrats on coming off one of your meds!

My stomach is still not 100% but I've been eating 95% compliant food since my off road day on Saturday.  The only things that have crept in a little are a small amount of sugar and a bit of dairy but only in scrambled eggs and mashed potato as it's just so much better with a splash of semi skimmed milk. 

As far as the off road day went, I went out with friends, had one mojito, which I really enjoyed, some calamari (so a bit of flour), steak, chips (fries, but I only had a few), salad and a cornflake ice cream sundae, which had brownie pieces in.  I was really looking forward to the sundae and whilst it was good, it also tasted really really sweet!

So the plan is to stay mostly compliant until Sunday or Monday and then introduce gluten grains again when my stomach is back to 100% normal to see how they affect me.

After being ill last week, my personal training session was really hard but on the plus side, she weighed me and I've lost a further 3lbs since finishing!  So almost 10lbs down in 7 weeks.

I have been all over the board this week.  I started out eating strict W30 foods then added rice one day, corn another.  I totally snapped on Tuesday and ate a whole small container of ben & jerry's ice cream.  PMS is terrible this month.  Bloating is ridiculous.  I'm finally on the down side of it and starting to feel better.  My Vegas vacation begins in 5 days and I just want to be as good as I can in the days before I leave.

I have also been a bit all over the place this week.  Got my period on Wednesday without warning - no PMS or anything, which was nice but cramps have been awful, it was the same when I was on the Whole30 proper.  I had cake on Wednesday as they had some in the office, had to resist but I think that it was cravings due to time of the month.  I also had some rice yesterday for dinner as I was feeling a bit nauseous and couldn't face a whole load of meat and veg.

Going to a lunch tomorrow where winners of the Masterchef competition are cooking and away for a few days to Somerset, hope to be reasonably good but a few things will probably creep in but we do a lot of walking and get a load of fresh air.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I've had some time to completely fall off the healthy eating wagon.  I totally blame my 3 day vacation in Vegas but it was worth it.  Starting today I am back to eating Whole30.  I may make a few mistakes between now and Monday when I am officially starting another Whole30.  I felt like total crap yesterday because I ate like total crap.  I felt anxious and just not right and I know it was because of the food I ate.  Nothing else changed.  Another thing I've learned since my first Whole30 is that I love sushi.  I will put my cravings for it on hold until my 30 days are over.  It's good to have something to look forward to right?  By starting this Whole30 on Monday it will interfere with a Halloween party and a football party but I will be done by Thanksgiving and be able to enjoy that holiday the way it is meant to be enjoyed...with shopping and food.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm on Day 9 of my 2nd Whole30 and doing great!  I felt better on day 2.  I still haven't had any of the typically reported side effects of eating W30.  I really do like eating this way and how it makes me feel.

Anyone else doing another W30 already?  Or those who are still strictly following the W30 we started on 8/11????

Archived