Aug18 Buddies - reintegration starts today!

JO.H

Treig, Anonymous, W30Inri, Frantastic, TDC - you out there?  Please join me so we can reintegrate without going off the rails ... completely.  I need help with bookclub, that first glass of wine, staying off chocolate, and my mad cat who wants to share my whole food. And of course anyone else who is has just finished their W30 and needs buddies, or perhaps has some great advice for us.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lucky Callie, sounds scrumptious! At the moment Fairy will eat only tinned tuna, the human kind, not the cat kind.  I worry about all the salt, but then she has been drinking out of the saltwater pool for years and she is thriving on it!

How are you today?  I think you said you were going to carry on a few more weeks, what's your target?

HELLO! 

I found you! I'm so glad we get to continue our bonding. 

I'm so scared to re-introduce food. I am sure that everyone feels this way. After having my frozen yogurt and my coffee, I am waiting a few days to start the re-introduction again. Both of those have not been worth it! 

I'm so glad we're still our little "family!". I am going to continue on for another 30. While I've had great benefits, I just don't think I'm "there" yet. I solicited advice from the pros in the troubleshooting section and feel good with my path on carrying on. I also made an appointment with my doctor to see if there's a medical reason I've had a sore throat and extreme fatigue for two weeks (and I want to make sure I don't have something communicable before I go and see my mom!!)

Perhaps it's the re-intro that's the real lesson...that while our minds may want the chocolate, yogurt,  or coffee our bodies are giving it a big fat NO.

If I could figure out how to attach a picture, I'd show you Callie! She's my baby :)

Hi guys!

So I lost 2kg, my boyfriend lost a whopping 5 kg, so smiles all round in the TDC household....

....well, not quite... I tore a muscle yesterday playing dodgeball so the much-anticipated 2-michelin starred lunch had to be cancelled -- there was no way I was going to be able to get in to town for a lovely lunch! Ah well..we're out for dinner tonight with my sister and cousin so there'll be a celebration of sorts, although without the prosecco I was so looking forward to! 

I'm going to stay on Whole30 principles while I heal; I think staying good nutritionally will be  important to support the healing process...although I'm adding dark (80-90%) chocolate as an important anti-inflammatory. But in any case, whether it's because I'm feeling tender or whether I'm just so determined to heal as quickly as possible...I genuinely don't WANT to deviate! While waiting in the A&E to be seen by a doctor my boyf said 'shall we get a kitkat' and I said..actually now, I really don't fancy it. And he said...no, neither do I...I want some of that leftover cracklin chicken! Talk about progress -- he has the worst sweet tooth, and in fact he doesn't think he properly banished it this Whole30 because he found himself eating something sweet mid-morning! So despite all my fantasising and planning on what I'll eat straight after...now I'm here...I don't really want to! I mean I'll probably make sweet potato pancakes (totally compliant ingredients...but memories of stacks of pancakes!! it's one sweet potato, one egg, dollop of nut butter, cumin; fry in ghee or coconut oil until brown on one side, flip and cook til brown. The mixture will look too gooey but once it cooks it firms up. Highly recommended!) and possibly paleo pizza and maybe even that yummy avocado chocolate dessert I made after the last Whole30 -- but I'm not going to have dairy or grains, I'm clearly best without them. And right now, I just don't even crave anything like that! Having said that, if I eat out and there's something non-Whole30 or theres not much choice...I'm not going to sweat it! But at least until my leg's healed I'll do my best to stay compliant.

Thanks for all the support in the last two weeks everyone, it makes such a difference doesn't it?

Love hearing how all your reintros are going; keep us updated!! 

Tx

Hi all: I would like to continue with this group as well. So I had the famous coffee sweetener this morning and lo and behold, IT DID NOT ROCK MY WORLD!! It was ok but not all I fantasized it would be. Also introduced peanut butter this morning- nothing much to report. Not actually hungry for lunch but packed a W30 lunch for myself. Kinda have re-intro terror, actually, so not quite ready to dive in.

JOH, sorry that you had such a tough time with the ice cream experience!

TDC, fab weight loss for you and the bf. I came down 6 lbs, which is what I was expecting.

fran, sounds like a very good idea to get an MD opinion on being so tired.

Treig, sounds like you are in the fear place with me!

Thanks for posting this, JOH. I think it's a really good idea to keep the monitoring going while we figure out this new episode of the W30 life!

So pleased we are all still here!  Congrats to everyone on the weight loss, and other measruements.  

First day of integration was terrible! I floundered without the rigid structure and clear decisions already made for me.  I introduced dairy - chocolate, cheese, milk, and none of it tasted that good.  I overate the dairy anyway, stupidly.  Strangely I didnt add my beloved hot milk to my coffee? My symptoms were mild - scratchy throat, scratchy temper, an ache here and there, though I am now pretty darn sure that dairy must go for good.  I have only figured that out about 10 times before, but now it really is for good.  I just don't need it  - yeaaah! So my plan is to allow the occasional ice cream treat with my kids, and not panic if its served in a meal put before me, but I am never gonna prepare a meal or snack at home with dairy again.  Done.

So today and tomorrow I am back to W30 100% compliance, and am much happier for it.  Sweet potato pancakes sound fabulous, on the menu for the weekend.  If my daughters like them I will be thrilled.

Sorry about the injury TDC, and great discipline that you will use W30 to heal, a good lesson for me.  I am so keen to hear how you all manage with the reintroductions, it makes me nervous thinking about it, but I am gonna try stick with it, and then review things.

AAARRRGGGHHH! I am walking around with a very ruddy face- looks like I was just working out at the gym- since this morning. Now could be a. the reward facial I received last night or b. the two teaspoons of peanut butter I ate as a reintro yesterday. It would be very sad if peanut butter, and by extension, legumes, was the culprit. But something is giving me red cheeks and I don't want to look perpetually embarrassed! So today I am strictly-ish on W30 (still added a little sweetener to my coffee) and since I am not certain what happened, I am going to wait another day to see if the redness calms and will try peanuts again.

Too worried about screwing this up to introduce dairy or soy yet; thinking that I will really enjoy a glass of wine after work on Friday. I already know that wine makes my face flush so I'm not worried about that reaction--but interested to see if my alcohol tolerance is reduced.

Victory by proxy: my husband announced last night that he has joined a gym (yea!) and would consider some w30 meals we could jointly prepare and eat. We typically end up eating all meals during the workweek separately since I have so many evening engagements, but could do weekend prep together. And he has kvetched about joining a gym since I've known him so it is a big deal for him to do this.

Bummer about dairy, JOH. How are the rest of you guys doing??

Hi guys! Good (??) to hear how you're all going -- it is interesting to find out what your body reacts to although I know it can get a bit obsessive! I remember doing reintro and finding symptoms that weren't really there...in reality I found that I'm not particularly reactive to anything...I just generally feel better and are more even keeled when I stick to Whole30 principles. Dairy usually does make me feel a bit mucus-y but it's usually not a huge deal. And sometimes I react REALLY badly to something -- bloating, really uncomfortable stomach ache, very gassy -- and then the next time I have it or something similar...nothing! However, I do know that when I'm doing a Whole30 I'm generally a much nicer and better person...not to mention I lose weight on it and put weight on when I'm not sticking to it! So I'm fairly happy to stick to the principles most of the time.

This is the first time post-Whole30 that I've really stuck to it immediately after. It's probably partly because I'm not very mobile - having to get around on crutches - so I can't really easily go out to buy food so I'm stuck with eating what's in the house - which is obviously all Whole30 happy! But I also just don't FEEL like eating non-Whole30 food. When we went out for dinner on Wednesday I found myself naturally gravitating towards the food that were at least paleo-friendly. I had a bite or two of everyone else's dishes but nothing excited me too much! Even the dessert that everyone voted to be the best...I was fairly underwhelmed. I hope this lasts; I know I often start off being super fussy immediately after Whole30s and then after a few weeks start relaxing again. I'd like to keep this up! I think the key is not eating out too much: the more I eat out the more relaxed I become, and if I'm eating out a lot then that becomes more often than I'd like! Plus it's easier on the pocket this way...

I was fairly low-carb on this Whole30 because I was determined to lose weight. As it happens, I didn't lose anymore than I have in previous Whole30s where I ate quite a lot of sweet potatoes so that didn't really work! I think I'll try and eat more carbs from now on; I suspect that my low sex-drive recently may be to do with low carb intake. I'm not going crazy, will just have some form of starchy veg (potato, sweet potato, plantains, maybe even rice!!!) at at least one if not two meals a day. Will report back (I won't go into detail, I promise!!)

That's about it from me really...as you know I'm not reintroing so I don't have a huge amount to report on! 

T

Oh, one more thing: I made those sweet potato pancakes today for breakfast, they were very good. Everyone needs to try and make them now! One sweet potato, one egg, a spoonful of nut butter (I used cashew this time) and some salt and spices (I forgot these!). I ate it with avocado mixed with sauekraut (a new find: highly recommended yet surprising combination!) topped with flakes of leftover jerk salmon from last night. Very yum. Cashew butter keeps the sweet potatoes fairly neutral in flavour; I used hazelnut butter before and they made them more like a dessert feel -- these would be nice with maple syrup and bacon I reckon, more like a proper American stack of pancakes! 

Thanks, TDC for the sweet potato recipe. Melissa Joulwan has a couple of pancake-y recipes on her website that I will try, since I am not a huge fan of sweet potatoes. Sorry to hear about the crutches, too.

Today I appear to be back to my normal skintone. Not sure what all that redness was about yesterday. I had a stumble last night with coconut crisps (Whole Foods sells some that are lime-flavored, but also contain coconut nectar, a form of sugar). I thought I was going to have a very small bit and instead ate half the package! So that item is not going to be allowed back in my kitchen!

I also took a plunge and chopped off my (shoulder length) hair- I have to admit, it's a kinda cute cut but does require a lot of product! I think I was feeling that I'm doing all this work on my insides...I should also do some work on my outside!

Thinking about dining out with the husband tonight, but have some reintegration fears. I, too, am seeking restaurants where I can comfortably get W30 compliant foods. Still ate W30 for breakfast and lunch--so far, so good. I'm having a crappy week at work and last night, no joke, two cats were fighting ON THE ROOF OF MY HOUSE and woke me up with the racket! Luckily, neither cat was mine, but what the heck? What cat gets into a fight on the roof of some random person's house? Ack already!!

Treig? JOH? Fran? Fran may be sticking with the regular W30 forum, so it's possible that she jumped off this one?

Hope everyone has a great start to the weekend... (btw: interesting outcome on Scottish vote, TDC!)

Hi all! I am writing you from Memphis, where I'm visiting my mom.

TDC...so sorry to hear about your injury! I'm impressed that you've not gone straight for the comfort food. As I know (and w30irni can attest to from the coconut crisps), there's a lot to be said for not actually owning food that you shouldn't eat (or can't control portions on)

I drove in from Atlanta today and cracked myself up the whole trip with a running inner dialouge of "your know you're whole 30 when..." scenarios. These included:

You know you're whole 30 when you need to stay awake, so you drink a cup of black coffee from a gas station...with nothing in it!

You know you're whole 30 when you pack a Baggie of shredded chicken for a snack.

You know you're whole 30 when you was down the awful coffee with sips of silky zucchini soup.

Another august 18 buddy here. I had a cupcake on day 31 (my birthday!), reacted terribly and have been eating compliant ever since. I'm going to a joint birthday party for my mother in law and I tomorrow so I will eat some off plan things there if they are good enough. I don't want to veer too off on a regular basis because I love being able to go all morning at work without my blood sugar crashing and getting hangry. I was able to eat breakfast at 7 am before work today and not get hungry until noon.

oooooh, that glass of red wine last night was just fabulous, tasted better than ever.  In fact I had two, and savoured every sip.  And I felt no effects this morning.  So after reintegration, wine is back on the list for weekends and special occasions - yippeeee!  I'd choose wine over grain and dairy anyday.

We have family coming over for a meal later and I am going to try the WellFed Peach Almond crisp for dessert.  And I will definitely try the pancakes, thanks TDC.

Welcome LisaLulu and belated happy birthday! I agree - going all morning happily without snacking is an unexpected bonus.

Hello Everyone!

Ok so I fell hard the other day. I was having one of those awful days with everything and I decided to bake with my 4 year old... not good. I can't tell you how much of the cookie batter I sampled, but I can tell you I kept sampling because something didn't taste right. And how does chocolate chip cookie dough not taste right? After, I then dove into the warm cookies, not sure how many cookies later...... it finally dawned on me what I was doing! ACK! I got a well deserved stomach ache and was mad at myself for turning to food for comfort in a stressful emotional time! 

But I am happy to say, yesterday was better with my safety of whole30 foods all day . 

I am so glad to hear  your wine was worth it JOH because I plan on indulging in wine or a margarita this weekend.

11 year olds birthday party with friends today, and family tomorrow. I am feeling strong again though and plan on sticking to whole 30 foods and then my margarita or wine. I hope it tastes better than the coffee, cookies, and yogurt I have tried so far! 

Frantastic, good luck visiting mom. I hope she is feeling better and you can resist the noncompliant foods mom's like to share!

w30inri, how exciting that your husband is joining a gym and interested in considering some whole 30 meals with you. He must realize how great you look after your whole 30 and doesn't want to get left behind!

TDC, wow! I am amazed at your strength. I would have turned to comfort foods with your injury. Thanks for the advice that with your other whole30 after a few weeks you started to relax about your food, but can recognize that to remind us to stay strict with our food so we don't fall off the healthy food train!

Lisalulu you sound just like us. We want some treats, but need to stick to our safety net of whole 30 as much as we can! Welcome!

I know we're not supposed to do the whole food/reward thing or set limits on the treats, but I went too far off course last time and needed to think of a flexible way to set limits. I need to start working more often (I'm a substitute teacher/stay at home mom) and it's hard to drag myself out of my comfort zone with the kids (especially since I suffer from anxiety) and accept more jobs. Anyway, I decided for every full day I work I can have a treat. This will motivate me to work more, eat less treats and think long and hard before eating something (because every treat is a full day away from my kids). I worked a full day and two half days this week so I have 2 treats in the bank. I'll probably use one for the party today and the other one I might use on an outing tomorrow or I might save it up for later in the week in case I feel like pizza or some chocolate. I know it's frowned upon, but it's certainly working for me. 

Whoops, treig, I feel your cookie pain! I went off the rails last night and had popcorn and chocolate (even worse, they pretty much were my dinner!). No clear effect this morning, other than remorse and disappointment! So I guess the takeaway for me is that I have not yet integrated the willpower that kept me compliant for 30 days and need to continue active w30 mindfulness. And I also appreciate the connections between physical pain, emotional distress and poor food choices. I strained my shoulder yesterday cleaning out the garage so was feeling mighty sorry for myself. But today I still have shoulder ache AND feel crappy for lousy food choices.

So, onward. Interestingly, this reintegration process is more challenging because the issue of choice is every present. At least on W30 I was blindly following the rules with little choice. Gotta sort this all out to maintain the benefits of W30!

Btw-welcome Lisa. TDC and JOH? You guys cool? Fran, are you on a different forum now?

Thanks, everyone, for your sympathy! You're all so nice :-) It's not been hard to not comfort eat...I physically don't have the food! Although lovely boyf went and bought some really high quality single estate dark chocolate for me as an important part of the healing process -- cocoa is anti inflammatory! :-)

I've been staying pretty well on track since finishing the Whole30 all week until the weekend which I'm happy about. It's partly because I've been house-bound so I have had to make all my own meals rather than eating out. Having said that, I ate out on Wednesday (think I talked about that already) and also on Friday before going to the theatre. I had fish (battered) and chips and ice cream during the interval, neither of which I regret one bit! When we got home my boyf and I went out for a drink and then on the way home stopped for shisha and some baklava. I could have done without the baklava, but it was so lovely to spend the evening together over a drink that I'm happy we did it. I shared a bottle of wine on Saturday night with my cousin...again, no regrets at all! No terrible side effects from either although I've been quite sleepy yesterday and today. Not sure if that's the food or just troubled sleep since I tore my calf muscles. Either way, no regrets at all! Went out for brunch today and had eggs benedict and swapped the muffin for mushrooms.

Injuring my calf has meant I've had to take life much much slower so I've got more time for everyone in my life, as well as time for me! So it's a blessing in disguise really, and definitely making me realise I need to re-evaluate my priorities. I'm more relaxed in a way, even though I'm more immobile. I guess I'm more relaxed because I physically can't get out and do things so I'm not stressing about when I'm going for CrossFit, when I'm meeting friends, and so on. Yes, I'm definitely re-evaluating my priorities, it's just so nice to feel I have time to be at home! I'm happier, too, because I'm not stressing about when I'm going to fit everything in. Working from home means I'm not spending time during rush hour on the tube, which must make a difference to my stress levels! On the other hand, I am worrying about whether I'm going to put on weight/lose muscle mass with being inactive -- not such a big deal right now since I'm still happy to take it easy, but I will start getting agitated in a few days time, so we'll see how I go later this week!

Hope you have all had a happy and 'compliant' reintegration weekend!  TDC, well done for staying so positive and making the most of the extra time!

We took my mom out for her birthday and ate a delicious almost compliant meal.  I joined everyone for dessert and enjoyed every sugary bit, no regrets.  I am pretty sure I want to stay compliant at home, but relax when I am out, still with minimal dairy, gluten, soy, sugar.  Of course I came home from lunch with a sugar craving so made TDC's sweet potato pancakes for the first time.  I managed to burn the first batch, the second round was better, I ate them all anyway, drizzled with lemon juice and maple syrup.  Yummy!  My daughter told me I had finally lost it for making pancakes out of sweet potato.  So I didn't even let her taste!

I had a non compliant birthday meal with family yesterday (bun on my sausage, 2 small cupcakes and milk and sugar in my after dinner tea). It tasted great, I felt great after and today I'm right back on the horse. The next thing I will probably eat is pizza since it's my favorite food in the world, but I'm waiting for a day off so I can buy it for lunch and savor every bite. 

Glad to hear every had an enjoyable weekend. 

Saturday, I had my daughter's birthday party at a local amusement park. While there I smelled popcorn and without thinking purchased some. The buttery salty concoction was delicious. I savored a few handfuls and handed it off to the kids. For dinner we ordered out pizza, which is my favorite food. Again this pizza tasted the best! I again enjoyed every bite. After sending the extra 5 children home, my best friend and I opened a very well deserving bottle of wine and finished it. It was so tasty. I would say while the day was non-compliant, it was all worth it! 

Sunday, my parents and the in-laws came to celebrate her birthday. I knew today needed to be a compliant day so I had plenty of vegetables on hand and had no problem going back to my whole30 principals. I even made my new favorite dish that goes with everything. Have I told you how much I am enjoying sweet potatoes?

Well I found this recipe on Pinterest, and forgive me if I have already posted it, but I have been making it every week for the last 3 weeks. I eat it with eggs for breakfast mostly, but I will take it for lunches with my protein or use it for dinner,  as well,  when we are short on vegetables in the house. Anyway its..... coat a baking dish with coconut oil or olive oil. Peel and Chop up 3 sweet potatoes, and chop up 3 apples into bite size pieces. Add in tart cherries or cranberries. Mix together and sprinkle with cinnamon. Bake @ 350 for 1 hour or so. The or so seems to be depending on how hard the sweet potatoes are. Everything should be soft when it is done. The blend of these 3 flavors is so satisfying to me. Anyway, made it for my best friend that spent the night, parents and the in-laws and they all loved it! Yay! A compliant dish to serve as a side dish. 

It seems like we all stepped of the bus this weekend.  And that's OK.  And I think we are all back on for Monday.  I didn't feel great this am, not terrible, just a few aches, not clear eyes, stiff back, irritable, it must be the sugar from yesterday's dessert, and a weekend of wine I suppose.  Now its 2 days completely clean and compliant days before I reintroduce gluten on Wednesday.  I am going out for lunch at a bakery and I am going to indulge in EVERYTHING baked with gluten, and see how I feel the next day.

Thanks for the sweet potato recipe Treig.  It's now copied to my word doc as Treig's sweet potato bake along with TDC's sweet potato pancakes.  Yes, sweet potatoes are a new discovery for me too, along with cabbage, and cauliflower.  I hope you are all making cauliflower rice and cauliflower pilaf, its my new best friend and great as a leftover with eggs for breakfast, its so good I cant believe its a vegetable!

Archived